VOGONS

Common searches

Game will ONLY work with CD in drive

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 56, by rolloLG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

New problem: the music stops and won't loop 🙁
Someone knows how to fix it?

An example video from YT:
https://youtu.be/zTH2Dx0j4C0?t=304
at 5:05 the music stops, and won't loop automatically. Was this correct in the original version or is an issue on modern Windows (even in Win95 compatbility mode).

Reply 41 of 56, by ghotik2002

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just in case someone is interested, a DxWnd thread discussed this game and found it possible to play it with ripped CD audio tracks through CD emulation.
In addition to what I read here (I used in DxWnd configuration for this game) we found that the game checks the EXACT length of CD tracks #7 and #8 in MSF format, with values that can't be rounded to the closest second (as some CD emulators apparently do) but that must include also the few extra frames (1 frame = 1/75 sec, if I recall correctly).
DxWnd is about to be updated with the possibility to hack the MSF track lengths and this will make it possible to run the game with CD audio tracks without any CD.
More here: https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/ge … 1&limit=25#f4a8

Reply 43 of 56, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rolloLG wrote on 2021-06-28, 00:47:

Would be nice, but what about the game playing music tracks only once (then you have to pause and recover the game window to make it play again in loop...)? Did someone test this too?

The lack of looping issue is likely the one referenced here :
MCI cdaudio not repeating (looping) on modern Windows systems

My experience with the game using an image (of little relevance ) :
Re: "Video not available, cannot find 'vids:IV32' decompressor" error for Pitfall The Mayan Adventure

Reply 45 of 56, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
olemogamer wrote on 2012-06-01, 19:45:

I've been using imgburns predicessor, DVD Decrypter for many years now.

DVD Decrypter can be used for things other than ripping video DVDs?

Since people like posting system specs:

LGA 2011
Core i7 Sandy Bridge @ 3.6 ghz
4 GB of RAM in quad-channel
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
Dual-booting WinXP Integral Edition and Win7 Pro 64-bit
-----
XP compatibility is the hill that I will die on.

Reply 46 of 56, by chirinea

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm trying to run this game in Win 10 21H1 with no success. I tried doing what is described here. When I try to run the game in Win 95 compatibility mode, the game just won't start. It only runs in Windows XP mode or higher, but then I don't get the sound options and can't enable the joystick. Can anyone help?

Reply 47 of 56, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pitfall works on every system with tweaking. I'm not 100% sure but I THINK I got it working on Win10. Def Win 7 and XP. The important part is editing the registry entry, I don't remember why, but maybe the drive it looks for (see the problems the OP was having), and possibly another.

No compatibility modes etc should be needed.

I'll look into it more in a few weeks, remind me if I don't post.

Reply 48 of 56, by rolloLG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use these settings with MS-ACT (Application Compatibility Toolkit, AKA Compatibility Administrator tool) and don't have anything else to do:
image.png
The only issue is with CD music not playing in Loop (have to pause and resume the game to "wake up" CD music after first loop).

EDIT: for the Compatibility Fix "IgnoreMessageBox", you have to specify as Parameter: "*,Pitfall". Will suppress 256 colors warning when launching the game. Forgot to mention and not visible in the screenshot above.

Last edited by rolloLG on 2021-08-21, 23:53. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 50 of 56, by rolloLG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes it is but is poorly documented, and most users ignore it 🙁 It's actually able to make many old games work on Windows 10/11 without DX7/8 wrappers or unofficial shady patches, and can fix non-working games in DX9 on modern PC. I've written some guides on Steam to fix also relatively old games like Max Payne (very first chapter) or NOX for example... without 3rd party extra dlls or OpenGL wrappers. I prefer this "clean way". See in the GOG or Steam guides sections for those games for example...
Even modern Windows still carries those old legacy shims for compatibility reasons. For those who know how to use ACT it can be very powerful to fix compatibility problems with old games/programs or even help them run better and smoother on modern OS with modern drivers. You don't even have to use DOSBox with some old games (typical compatibility workaround used by many GOG releases...) if you know what to patch through MS ACT.

P.S.
Actually, the classic Windows Compatibility tab everybody knows is just a subset of those shims exposed through MS ACT...

Reply 51 of 56, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting program from Microsoft for handling the backwards compatibility. I've always known that Windows was backwards compatible due to keeping old API around and hardware abstraction, but never known that there were additional flags or parameters for addressing problems with old software.

With some exceptions I've seen people doing stuff that doesn't make any sense to run old software. Even for old computers I see things such as keeping an old version of DirectX due to poor understanding between the DX runtime libraries and hardware support.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 52 of 56, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rolloLG wrote on 2021-08-21, 13:26:
I use these settings with MS-ACT (Application Compatibility Toolkit, AKA Compatibility Administrator tool) and don't have anythi […]
Show full quote

I use these settings with MS-ACT (Application Compatibility Toolkit, AKA Compatibility Administrator tool) and don't have anything else to do:
image.png
The only issue is with CD music not playing in Loop (have to pause and resume the game to "wake up" CD music after first loop).

EDIT: for the Compatibility Fix "IgnoreMessageBox", you have to specify as Parameter: "*,Pitfall". Will suppress 256 colors warning when launching the game. Forgot to mention and not visible in the screenshot above.

Where can we download Ms-ACt ? I don't find.

Reply 53 of 56, by rolloLG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Read here where to download and basic instructions to understand how it works (in this case with Max Payne): https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filede … /?id=1934864423

1934864423-preview-App-Comp-Toolkit.jpg
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-hard … ted/adk-install

One of the most important thing people don't know about MS-ACT is that it can also fix screens (depth, res, mode... compatibility settings for old DWM... making a game with stuttering run silky smooth again...), fix random crashes, and even graphics glitches in some cases most users think are impossible to fix without usual OpenGL wrappers! It's not just a compatibility tool "to run" old software but can actually fix/improve some games...

Last edited by rolloLG on 2021-08-22, 09:21. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 54 of 56, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
willow wrote on 2021-08-22, 05:08:
rolloLG wrote on 2021-08-21, 13:26:
I use these settings with MS-ACT (Application Compatibility Toolkit, AKA Compatibility Administrator tool) and don't have anythi […]
Show full quote

image.png

Where can we download Ms-ACt ? I don't find.

Available in Windows ADK

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 55 of 56, by jgf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This sounds much like the old game "Gazillionaire" from Lavamind. It will run equally well on anything from W95 through at least Win7, but must have the disc in the drive. I have never found a No-CD patch, nor any instructions for running the game without the CD; installing the basic game then copying all files to the install folder does nothing; I've heard even mounting a virtual drive doesn't work.