Microsoft Windows Me
4.10.2222 A

Is this WIN98 or ME then?????

Reply 2 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Inofficial Serivce Pack for Win9x, by chance ? It uses some Win Me system files, I remember.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could you perhaps show us the disk which you installed and what other software you installed? (think drivers and other software, anything that is not part of the OS disk you used to install 98SE with).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpectriaForce wrote on 2022-01-11, 01:33:

This happens when you install nusb36. I'm still trying to figure out where I can change it.

What if you restore the original SYSTRAY.EXE, USER.EXE and USER32.DLL after installing NUSB36? I used this approach to allow NUSB to run on different languages which did not have an 'official' NUSB release.
https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/nusb-wi … 8-language-fix/

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 7 of 12, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2022-01-11, 07:37:

This happens when you install nusb36. I'm still trying to figure out where I can change it.

What if you restore the original SYSTRAY.EXE, USER.EXE and USER32.DLL after installing NUSB36? I used this approach to allow NUSB to run on different languages which did not have an 'official' NUSB release.

worth a try but that could break a patch doing so

Reply 8 of 12, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FYI, if you use the older NUSB 3.3 version, this won't happen.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 9 of 12, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-01-11, 12:35:

FYI, if you use the older NUSB 3.3 version, this won't happen.

That seems to be the case indeed. I have reinstalled Windows 98SE, installed the Windows 98SE USB drivers from my motherboard and USB card manufacturers (and rebooted), then installed NUSB 3.3 without removing any drivers or devices (unlike what the developer recommends) and then rebooted with a USB stick in a USB port so that NUSB detected the mass storage device and installed the driver for it. When I look at system properties Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition is still being displayed. Very weird (I have not installed an unofficial Win 98SE service pack).

Reply 10 of 12, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2022-01-11, 07:37:

This sounds promising too.

I haven't been able to edit it in the registry (you can't find anywhere 'Microsoft Windows Me').

Reply 12 of 12, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

RichB93 is absolutely right.

Opening the SYSDM.CPL with an editor like "eXeScope", you'll see where it comes from.
You can of cource edit it there as well, but it's just cosmetical issue...

sysdm_dialog.jpg
Filename
sysdm_dialog.jpg
File size
104.25 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾