VOGONS

First post, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ya so, this wasn't exactly the 479 Mobo I was going for, but I do not necessarily regret offering $25 for one, which may have been a mistake. However this specific board has very large compatibility. It can run up to a 770M which is a 2.1 GHZ Pentium M to a 1ghz pentium M. These CPUs are basically the fastest single core CPUs before Core 2 launch which was based on them.

what I really wanted was a Asus CT-479 to 478 adapter but I been looking for several years and its so rare that you will never find one.

Anyways what do you guys think, it is a 915 chipset so it can run 98se. It can run XP. You can also run very low power CPUs in ti like 5w power draw cpu.

i915GMm-HFS

1667-ports.jpg
http://global.aopen.com/products_detail.aspx?auno=1280
https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/aopen- … 5gmm-hfs-page-3

Reply 1 of 18, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't forget about the Asus CT-479 adapter which is compatible with several Asus socket 478 motherboards. Ran it with the Asus P4GD1 and P4C800-E Deluxe myself.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 18, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I searched for about 3 years for one of those adapters they never come up for sale.

Whats a good PCI-E Graphics card for windows 98se that doesn't have comptibility problems with older games like directx 7 and 8

Reply 3 of 18, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had that board years ago, used it as a media PC until HD content became the rule and I needed to upgrade to something beefier.

These days the main attraction of these systems is no longer relevant - even a fat Core i7 clocks down to much lower power consumption than a CoreDuo could manage, and the old chipsets with memory controller ran much hotter than modern ones without it. So really this is purely interesting from a retro perspective.

Reply 4 of 18, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ya obviously you are not going to use this as a multimedia platform. Anyways a lot of that has switched to streaming using DLNA to smart TVs and that is not that CPU demanding. Pretty much any PC can do that. As far as PVR stuff that is mostly capturing Digital broadcast streams these days from things like HD Home runs this also doesn't require much horse power. That is not the point though. 😊

Reply 6 of 18, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ya there is several aopen versions 2 of them have AGP, I believe
DFI/ITOX there is a few of them atleast 2 I beleive have a slot for a graphics card.
asrock might have one I am not too sure it maybe a rare board now.
Some are more rarer boards are industrial boards and server boards that may not have expansions
Im more interested in finding AGP Pentium M boards. But this particual board in the original post is probably the top performer and most future features of all of the 479 boards.

Reply 7 of 18, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote:

ya there is several aopen versions 2 of them have AGP, I believe.

My AOpen i855GMEm-LFS has an AGP Version 2.0 slot, but I am not using it at the moment. It's also got mobile chipsets

Reply 8 of 18, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote:

I searched for about 3 years for one of those adapters they never come up for sale.

Whats a good PCI-E Graphics card for windows 98se that doesn't have comptibility problems with older games like directx 7 and 8

One just sold on ebay yesterday with the original cooler and box. I wonder if someone here got it. 😳

Reply 11 of 18, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally i wanted the ct-479 so I could run a Geforce 4 4600 or 4800. It's ll good though I have a sick 915 board coming that should be probably faster and just as good with a Quadro Fx1300.

Reply 12 of 18, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote:

That sadens me honestly because it must of been a buy now and not an auction so I missed it. I have searched at least a couple days ago. Any clue how much it sold for?

$57.50 + $7 shipping. I would have jumped on it as well had I seen it. It sold buy it now within a two hours of posting.

Attachments

Reply 14 of 18, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
an81 wrote:
red-ray wrote:

My AOpen i855GMEm-LFS has an AGP Version 2.0 slot, but I am not using it at the moment. It's also got mobile chipsets

Is yours the black or green pcb version?

It looks dark green to me, what is the difference apart from the colour please?

Attachments

• RDM.png
    Filename
    RDM.png
    File size
    87.98 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    i855GMEm-LFS chipset
    File license
    Public domain
  • i855GMEm-LFS.png
    Filename
    i855GMEm-LFS.png
    File size
    956.82 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    It looks dark green to me
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 16 of 18, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote:

that should be an agp 4.0 at least it is keyed that way. perhaps the onboard graphics is only 2.0 electrically.

No, it's as I said AGP V2.0 which supports x4 + x2 + x1. On the 2nd line there is AGP V2.0 x1 (x4) which has a tooltip that will say:

The System has AGP V2.0
AGP Bridge operating at x1 (Maximum is x4)
and the System Bus to Memory Clock Ratio is 3 to 5

[Chipset MCH] <- SIV32X - System Information Viewer V5.41 Beta-26 RDM::ray

Intel 82855GME Chipset Processor Interface Bridge (A2-step) - Vendor ID 8086-3580-35808086-02 size 0100

AGP Version 2.0 Current x1 Supported Speeds x4 x2 x1
AGP Mode V2.0 Support for FW Transfers Sideband Addressing Command Queue 32 (Maximum)
AGP Disabled Current state Command Queue 1

AGP V3.0 supports x8 + x4 and after checking https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Graphics_Port I expect there is such a thing as AGP V4.0, which chipset has it?

[Chipset MCH] <- SIV32X - System Information Viewer V5.41 Beta-26 RP4::ray

Intel 82865PE Chipset Processor to I/O Controller [865PE] - Vendor ID 8086-2570-25701458-02 size 0100 (0100)

AGP Version 3.0 Current x8 Supported Speeds x8 x4
AGP Mode V3.0 Support for FW Transfers Sideband Addressing Command Queue 32 (Maximum)
AGP Enabled Current state Sideband Addressing Command Queue 1

For completeness AGP V1.0 supports x2 + x1.

[Chipset MCH] <- SIV32X - System Information Viewer V5.41 Beta-26 RK3::ray

Intel 82443BX 440BX Chipset CPU to PCI Bridge (AGP Implemented) - Vendor ID 8086-7190-00000000-03 size 0100

AGP Version 1.0 Current x0 Supported Speeds x2 x1
AGP Mode V1.0 Support for Sideband Addressing Command Queue 32 (Maximum)
AGP Disabled Current state Command Queue 1

Reply 17 of 18, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Katmai500 wrote:

A couple more have sold from the same seller. Two more sold on 9/1 pretty quickly after listing. Hopefully some folks here managed to get one. 😀

I saw the listings, but didn't end up purchasing since I had just grabbed an Upgradeware XP-TMC that will keep me busy for a while. Plus I got it for less than half the price that the 479 adapters went for. 😎

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 18 of 18, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had the MSI Speedster with 479 Socket but it supported only 2Gb Ram 😒

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board