Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 30061 of 52357, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:

...and a copy of the manual for the DEC version (has some better representations of the caddy / operation)

DEC rrd40.pdf

thank you, that helps a lot, now I understand the mechanism 😀
still going to be hard to reconstruct without detailed measurements.

but I don't have a fitting controller right now anyways, so there's time for this project to see if the drive even works at all ^^

Reply 30063 of 52357, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure of the LMSI / Philip equivalent, but the DEC part number for the caddy would appear to be RRD5X-AA - might be worth checking to see if anyone still holds stock.

Reply 30064 of 52357, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found a boxed CD burner to replace my old one, nice to have the audio cable too as IDE beige drives are getting harder to find locally.

43NFDqu.jpg
OtJDvSP.jpg

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 30065 of 52357, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^^ Which reminds me. Finally found a beige SATA burner for a sleeper build. There is a batch of beige Teac SATA optical drives on Ebay, but they are slightly darker than a standard beige case (I know because I bought a couple). This one fit the bill perfectly. Had to scrub off drive letters that were in ink and pencil on the front bezel, but it came out nicely.

satabeigefront.jpg
Filename
satabeigefront.jpg
File size
749.97 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
satabeigeback.jpg
Filename
satabeigeback.jpg
File size
1.36 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 30066 of 52357, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's neat, some come with interchangeable ivory/black faceplates which is very nice for switching builds.

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 30067 of 52357, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:

^^^ Which reminds me. Finally found a beige SATA burner for a sleeper build. There is a batch of beige Teac SATA optical drives on Ebay, but they are slightly darker than a standard beige case (I know because I bought a couple).

satabeigefront.jpg

[attachment=0]satabeigeback.jpg[/atachment]

What is standard beige? From what I remember pretty much every computer had its own version of beige. The later beige computer cases were practically white, so these drives would probably be perfect for early 90s builds.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 30069 of 52357, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:
liqmat wrote:

^^^ Which reminds me. Finally found a beige SATA burner for a sleeper build. There is a batch of beige Teac SATA optical drives on Ebay, but they are slightly darker than a standard beige case (I know because I bought a couple).

satabeigefront.jpg

[attachment=0]satabeigeback.jpg[/atachment]

What is standard beige? From what I remember pretty much every computer had its own version of beige. The later beige computer cases were practically white, so these drives would probably be perfect for early 90s builds.

There was a very common shade of beige in the 90s that most cases followed. When building PCs throughout the early 90s at a PC shop I worked at, most cases we ordered from different manufacturers were very close in color and most magnetic and optical drives followed the theme. It did not vary much.

retropol wrote:
my 486 dx2 setup: […]
Show full quote

my 486 dx2 setup:

wEE0SUX.jpg

I just fell in love with your case.

Reply 30071 of 52357, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What a pretty case... It's a full tower, right?

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 30072 of 52357, by retropol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

this is standard case which was offered by polish computer producer - JTT - brand ADAX in early 90's. 1993-94-95 I think
it is midi-tower. They had full line of this cases, but no idea if they designed it on their own or they just imported them from china or somewhere.

Reply 30073 of 52357, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My CRT monitor bit the dust a week ago, lasting for just eight months of use, despite it was a new old stock item. According to a repairman, the flyback transformer is shorting the circuitry, and since I don't know the manufacturer, I have no way to repair it. 😵

So, I just bought a replacement monitor, this one:

a897f9eb-8bc6-4a06-9a78-4bf4a897ef30.jpg

An Olivetti CDU 1458MS/HA71. On paper seems to be a good model: it supports 1024x768 at 60Hz, stores size and position settings per resolution, and has even pincushion controls and horizontal and vertical size controls, something you don't see often on early VGA monitors from the early 1990s. Plus it was made by Hantarex, which was known for its high quality CRT tubes. We shall see. I always liked the look of these Olivetti monitors, since they carried on using the same design starting from the mid 1980s up to the mid 1990s.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 30074 of 52357, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got myself a CD-ROM drive too 😀

Pioneer DRM-600. I guess it is from the early 90's. I plan to connect it to my IBM PS/2 P70, but cannot test it yet, because I don't have a suitable cable (IBM and their stupid micro centronics connector...).

It suffered a bit during transit. Laser lens had come loose and volume knob was smashed in. I glued the lens back in place, and glued the broken knob back together. At least it looks good, hopefully it also works. Seems to be common problem that these lenses come loose no matter how good the packaging is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7zR2lkmOiM

I already had a Pioneer CD-player that uses the same 6CD-cartridges, so it is nice to have some company for it 😀

IMGP1565_.jpg
Filename
IMGP1565_.jpg
File size
410.54 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 30075 of 52357, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

nice, I almost got one of those too, but got a smaller one instead a few pages back... I'm really developing this weird affection for old/odd CD-Rom drives 😁

Reply 30076 of 52357, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got an IBM P260 monitor locally, time to learn WinDAS I suppose.

Attachments

• 20190903_132607-1.jpg
    Filename
    20190903_132607-1.jpg
    File size
    581.41 KiB
    Views
    File license

gWSJi23.png
https://archive.org/details/@detritus_olentus
Philly Burbs.

Reply 30077 of 52357, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

also this cute thing :3c

hardware29_03.jpg
Filename
hardware29_03.jpg
File size
94.05 KiB
Views
File license

it's astonishing what they crammed in there, even place for a 8bit ISA card 😀

hardware29_04.jpg
Filename
hardware29_04.jpg
File size
136.28 KiB
Views
File license

unfortunately the PSU is missing, but that shouldn't be too hard to figure out... but it also seems like someone already had a go at this, the front had a broken clip and some of it is missing, the HDD power cable is missing and one of the screws was rattling around inside, the speaker broke off and the FDD wasn't screwed in at all and bent a bit so the door wouldn't close properly, also the power button sticks.
I hope that I will be able to get it to work cause I really like that small form factor, and it's a 286 😀 ...from checking the chips it seems to only have CGA graphics though, not much I can do about that.
also need to find a sound card that'll work in the 8bit slot and is short enough to fit inside the case.

hardware29_05.jpg
Filename
hardware29_05.jpg
File size
218.45 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 30078 of 52357, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retropol wrote:
my 486 dx2 setup: https://i.imgur.com/wEE0SUX.jpg […]
Show full quote

my 486 dx2 setup:
wEE0SUX.jpg

OMG that case is an absolute thing of beauty.

I really hated the way pretty much every computer came in a shade of beige back in the day, ...I really hated beige... like really hated it.. and was quite happy when stylish non white computer cases started hitting the market (P4 era onwards)... but that thing could quite happily sit under my desk and I would be proud 😀.

Is it possible to have some close-ups of the panel LED's? Do these things come up often on polish market places?

retropol wrote:

btw - swap to ESCOM possible 😁

🤣 thats exactly what I thought it was when I first saw it!