Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 30080 of 52362, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
spiroyster wrote:

I really hated the way pretty much every computer came in a shade of beige back in the day, ...I really hated beige... like really hated it.. and was quite happy when stylish non white computer cases started hitting the market (P4 era onwards)... but that thing could quite happily sit under my desk and I would be proud 😀.

COMPAQ, IBM, Fujitsu and even Escom already offered black pc's in the 90's.

Reply 30081 of 52362, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote:
spiroyster wrote:

I really hated the way pretty much every computer came in a shade of beige back in the day, ...I really hated beige... like really hated it.. and was quite happy when stylish non white computer cases started hitting the market (P4 era onwards)... but that thing could quite happily sit under my desk and I would be proud 😀.

COMPAQ, IBM, Fujitsu and even Escom already offered black pc's in the 90's.

Yes, but they weren't common place and cost a fortune if you wanted anything non white... for some reason the market demanded white, and so thats what 99.999% of desktop PC's came as. I had a black laptop, and sprayed my 486 black back then... I hated beige that much.

Reply 30082 of 52362, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

System 7.5.3 for Mac
39 disks total.
For my Macintosh classics and some games too.

Attachments

Reply 30083 of 52362, by retropol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
spiroyster wrote:
OMG that case is an absolute thing of beauty. […]
Show full quote

OMG that case is an absolute thing of beauty.

Is it possible to have some close-ups of the panel LED's? Do these things come up often on polish market places?

retropol wrote:

btw - swap to ESCOM possible 😁

🤣 thats exactly what I thought it was when I first saw it!

Only ADAX was in this case-style - there were also desktops or mini or big towers. I will try to find the ads brochure somewhere in my old computer newspapers and will put it here if found.

This case is very very heavy / massive. The very nice thing is this black semi-transparent cover and the icon-graphic leds. I will do a close-up of the panel for you today in the evening.

In Poland there was also attack of HIGHSCREEN brand, and I remember their COLANI (?) case style. That was also very nice design.
Of course ESCOM was the good example of something fresh on polish market but later ESCOM went down with the style of cases and started to be like any other...

Unfortunately this computers are not common now - the fact is people in Poland rather bought non-branded computers
(or mostly they bought OPTIMUS which was also very nice case-style at the beginning of their expansion).

Reply 30084 of 52362, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a Gateway 400SD4 laptop in good shape and did preventative maintenance: cleaned the heatsink and replaced the thermal paste. Has a Pentium 4 running at 2.4GHz, 512MB RAM, Windows XP Home SP3, 40GB HDD, CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo, floppy drive (something that didn't come standard on Pentium 4 laptops), 1 CardBus slot (has 2 doors for inserting a bigger CardBus card, like Xircom modem and FastEthernet cards or something similar to that nature), VGA, Parallel (printer), modem, Intel FastEthernet, 2 USB, FireWire 400, and audio in/out jacks/ports, ESS Allegro ES1988 PCI sound, and either a 14.1" or 15" TFT Active Matrix display. Main battery is flat and refuses to charge and the clock battery is an ML1220 (rechargeable coin cell), which is rather odd, however, no charger came with it, so I improvised and decided to use my ASUS X54C's laptop charger and it works perfectly fine, even my HP Pavilion N3350 doesn't have a charger and the ASUS charger does a good job.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 30085 of 52362, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
detritus olentus wrote:

Got an IBM P260 monitor locally, time to learn WinDAS I suppose.

That's a very nice monitor. I wish I'll find something like that someday 😀

Reply 30086 of 52362, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retropol wrote:
Only ADAX was in this case-style - there were also desktops or mini or big towers. I will try to find the ads brochure somewhere […]
Show full quote
spiroyster wrote:
OMG that case is an absolute thing of beauty. […]
Show full quote

OMG that case is an absolute thing of beauty.

Is it possible to have some close-ups of the panel LED's? Do these things come up often on polish market places?

retropol wrote:

btw - swap to ESCOM possible 😁

🤣 thats exactly what I thought it was when I first saw it!

Only ADAX was in this case-style - there were also desktops or mini or big towers. I will try to find the ads brochure somewhere in my old computer newspapers and will put it here if found.

This case is very very heavy / massive. The very nice thing is this black semi-transparent cover and the icon-graphic leds. I will do a close-up of the panel for you today in the evening.

In Poland there was also attack of HIGHSCREEN brand, and I remember their COLANI (?) case style. That was also very nice design.
Of course ESCOM was the good example of something fresh on polish market but later ESCOM went down with the style of cases and started to be like any other...

Unfortunately this computers are not common now - the fact is people in Poland rather bought non-branded computers
(or mostly they bought OPTIMUS which was also very nice case-style at the beginning of their expansion).

Interesting info. yes brochure and piccys would be much appreciated thank you. The combination of those three colour LED's and the perspex cover are what make that case imo, it would be interesting to see other designs.

Reply 30087 of 52362, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AMD-K6-2/500AFX
EMP1ocvh.jpg

FIC VA-503+ -- got the processor above for testing/flashing, going to try to get my K6-III+ working on it
qTysyYuh.jpg

Upgradeware XP-TMC
Gj6r84Uh.jpg

Virtual IO i-Glasses VGA interface adapter (now I need the glasses!)
xraTSF7h.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 30088 of 52362, by varrol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Vynix wrote:

Ooh the second one... It's a Chieftec Dragon, isn't it? But the first one, I have no idea 😦

You are correct - always wanted to have it, but when I was finally able to afford one, there were much better Chieftec cases. First one is also Chieftec, but I know only code name.

AOpen AX6B+ | P3 1G | 1GB ECC REG | FX5200 | CT4500
AOpen AX59pro | K6-2 450M | 256MB | Rage 128
Asus CUBX-E | P3 1G | 512MB | GF4 TI4200 | YMF719E-S
Asus P3B-F | P3 933M | 384MB | Radeon 9200 | CT4520
Asus P5A | P55C 200M | 256MB | Riva TNT | CT3600

Reply 30089 of 52362, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does anyone know what this is and whether it's worth buying?

ysJIKS.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 30091 of 52362, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^might be possible to repair, these sockets are very easy to replace and you could take the missing ICs from a damaged 386. Think these CPU cards are quite rare...

Intended not to buy that much anymore, but this 17 kg lot that arrived today seems to be fantastic:

6x SUNTAC 80286:

IMG_2565r.jpg
Filename
IMG_2565r.jpg
File size
1.75 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

6x C&T 286/386

IMG_2574r.jpg
Filename
IMG_2574r.jpg
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license

Micronics 386...already have a similar one, think the RAM card is the same:
search.php?keywords=micronics+80386+collection

IMG_2561r.jpg
Filename
IMG_2561r.jpg
File size
1.75 MiB
Views
File license

80286 in a 386 CPU socket..? 😕

IMG_2564r.jpg
Filename
IMG_2564r.jpg
File size
1.75 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_2582r.jpg
Filename
IMG_2582r.jpg
File size
1.76 MiB
Views
File license
Last edited by Predator99 on 2019-09-04, 15:10. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 30092 of 52362, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SS7 ATX with bulging caps...not worth any repair

IMG_2584r.jpg
Filename
IMG_2584r.jpg
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license

Interesting SONY boards. Very heavy. Have to google what this was used for. At least some intersting ICs, e.g. 68030:

IMG_2563r.jpg
Filename
IMG_2563r.jpg
File size
1.75 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_2583r.jpg
Filename
IMG_2583r.jpg
File size
1.72 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 30093 of 52362, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Predator99 wrote:

IMG_2584r.jpg

Eh.. It'd be very much worth the repair for me; I need an SS7 board with AGP 😒

Reply 30094 of 52362, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:

^^might be possible to repair, these sockets are very easy to replace and you could take the missing ICs from a damaged 386.

You would need to find the exact chips. These are:

Chips P82C812
Chips P82C815-12
Chips P82C811
Chips P82C206

And the question is if the card is actually working. The chips were most likely removed without care because the card was dead.

Reply 30095 of 52362, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

IMG_2584r.jpg

And it has the ALI Aladdin V chipset. Only downside is the max FSB looks to be 100Mhz since there are only 3 jumpers for fsb selection.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30096 of 52362, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

IMG_2584r.jpg

And it has the ALI Aladdin V chipset. Only downside is the max FSB looks to be 100Mhz since there are only 3 jumpers for fsb selection.

Totally fine with me.

Reply 30097 of 52362, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

And the question is if the card is actually working. The chips were most likely removed without care because the card was dead.

scrappers mostly do everything without care, they usually don't care (no pun intended) if it was actually working before or not.

Reply 30098 of 52362, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote:
derSammler wrote:

scrappers mostly do everything without care, they usually don't care (no pun intended) if it was actually working before or not.

It makes me cringe sometimes seeing how working cards are thrown and flipped carelessly about onto each other, or maybe I am just too paranoid about handling 20+ year old hardware, even the ones with less value. So it amazes me when somethings from a junk pile still work.

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 30099 of 52362, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote:

Why would a scrapper even remove the PLCC chips? Makes no sense to me. The chips were most likely removed by whoever owned the card before.