VOGONS

Reply 2440 of 4586, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I mentioned in another thread, I was one of the unfortunates that lost everything in Paradise.
svTVlFQ.jpg?1

So my accumulation of old stuff for fun began anew today. I snagged this out of a large dumpster on the street.

KdPG5qG.jpg?1

CIFXTZ6.jpg?1

DUJ5Bej.jpg?1

It fired right up, but that's where the fun ended - I no longer have an AT keyboard, or a keyboard adapter for AT to ATX, so seeing the (likely Windows 95) splash screen will have to wait.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2441 of 4586, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
detritus olentus wrote:

Municipal e-waste find from tonight.

Nice! I can't believe that people just throw a nice classic pc like that away. I have a soft spot for those beige COMPAQ's.

Last edited by SpectriaForce on 2019-09-08, 13:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2442 of 4586, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jaZz_KCS wrote:
x0zm_ wrote:
Not quite the same model, but very close. Close enough to senile inform you that you are (according to this seller) rich. RICH I […]
Show full quote

Not quite the same model, but very close. Close enough to senile inform you that you are (according to this seller) rich. RICH I TELL YOU!

unknown.png?width=925&height=468

[/SenileSalesmen]

It's only $68 for 24 months 😁 Oh and two are already sold 😲

By the way, why does the photo show a P4 logo and the ad title clearly states that the pc is an Athlon? 😵

Reply 2443 of 4586, by precaud

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote:

As I mentioned in another thread, I was one of the unfortunates that lost everything in Paradise.

Ouch. So sorry...

So my accumulation of old stuff for fun began anew today. I snagged this out of a large dumpster on the street.

I have one of those cases, and love it. Big enough to crawl in and take a nap, in a pinch.
What motherboard is that?

Reply 2444 of 4586, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
precaud wrote:

I don't know; I didn't see any brand or model number on it when I was having a look. It's an FX chipset, which is a little too early to hold my interest. I'll be looking for a slightly later model Socket 7 AT board to put in this case at some point. But first I have to get a keyboard converter so I can see if this will boot into whatever OS is on the hard drive.

Reply 2445 of 4586, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today I found this... thing. No idea what a THMAG Translation Controller is, but I couldn't get over the fact that someone making industrial prototypes for a freaking space agency saw fit to etch the front panel entirely in Comic Sans.

CameraZOOM-20190909123249731.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20190909123249731.jpg
File size
195.57 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
CameraZOOM-20190909123951319.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20190909123951319.jpg
File size
176.76 KiB
Views
File license
CameraZOOM-20190909124028665.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20190909124028665.jpg
File size
138.83 KiB
Views
File license

It looks like they gutted it for parts; not much left inside except for some power supply components. No matter! It's perfect for an ITX or some kind of DIY synthesizer build; just right to house a flex-ATX PSU & low-profile graphics card (or 2-3 cards on a 90 degree riser.)

You BETTER believe I'll be keeping that big red ABORT button, and I'll try to make the LCD panel do something too.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2446 of 4586, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote:
precaud wrote:

I don't know; I didn't see any brand or model number on it when I was having a look. It's an FX chipset, which is a little too early to hold my interest. I'll be looking for a slightly later model Socket 7 AT board to put in this case at some point. But first I have to get a keyboard converter so I can see if this will boot into whatever OS is on the hard drive.

According to the bios string, its a Fugutech M506

xjas wrote:

Today I found this... thing. No idea what a THMAG Translation Controller is,,,

Now that is a different look - according to the Redlen website maybe the THM part is 'Traveling Heater Method' - do you have a Geiger Counter handy 🤣 🤣

Redlen Technologies is a leading manufacturer of high resolution Cadmium Zinc Telluride (CZT) semiconductor radiation detectors which are enabling a new generation of high performance detection and imaging equipment including Nuclear Cardiology, CT Scanning, Baggage Scanning and Dirty Bomb Detection.

Having successfully pioneered a breakthrough production process for manufacturing advanced CZT semiconductor wafers with its proprietary Traveling Heater Method (THM) technology, Redlen is revolutionizing the performance, cost and availability of radiation detection and imaging – enabling the widespread adoption of this technology for the medical and security markets.

Reply 2447 of 4586, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:
xjas wrote:

Today I found this... thing. No idea what a THMAG Translation Controller is,,,

Now that is a different look - according to the Redlen website maybe the THM part is 'Traveling Heater Method' - do you have a Geiger Counter handy 🤣 🤣

Redlen Technologies is a leading manufacturer of high resolution Cadmium Zinc Telluride (CZT) semiconductor radiation detectors which are enabling a new generation of high performance detection and imaging equipment including Nuclear Cardiology, CT Scanning, Baggage Scanning and Dirty Bomb Detection.

Having successfully pioneered a breakthrough production process for manufacturing advanced CZT semiconductor wafers with its proprietary Traveling Heater Method (THM) technology, Redlen is revolutionizing the performance, cost and availability of radiation detection and imaging – enabling the widespread adoption of this technology for the medical and security markets.

Well, if it turns out to be that, maybe point out to the Canadian Space thingie that its possibly radioactive scientific gear is finding its way to the secondary market...can't imagine that kind of stuff is supposed to get a second life after decommissioning.

Reply 2449 of 4586, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

L0L. Considering it was in a VERY highly trafficked dumping spot, in a public building, where I and many others have taken things from lots of times in the past, I'm not too worried.

Just a bunch of bog-standard electronics inside (including a hacked-up wall wart for a power supply.) Nothing radioactive here:

CameraZOOM-20190909223013125.jpg
Filename
File size
281.97 KiB
Views
File license
CameraZOOM-20190909222953456.jpg
Filename
File size
158.61 KiB
Views
File license
CameraZOOM-20190909222944969.jpg
Filename
File size
291.88 KiB
Views
File license
CameraZOOM-20190909223218027.jpg
Filename
File size
343.98 KiB
Views
File license

^^ this is an interesting looking microcontroller module. Might have some fun with it.

It's almost certainly been repurposed once already, considering the enclosure has a build date from 1992 but there are boards from the early-2000s inside.

CameraZOOM-20190909223051564.jpg
Filename
File size
177.62 KiB
Views
File license

I'm willing to bet "Prototype Equipment Design" was somebody at the machine shop a few doors down from where it was put out for disposal.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2450 of 4586, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:
L0L. Considering it was in a VERY highly trafficked dumping spot, in a public building, where I and many others have taken thing […]
Show full quote

L0L. Considering it was in a VERY highly trafficked dumping spot, in a public building, where I and many others have taken things from lots of times in the past, I'm not too worried.

Just a bunch of bog-standard electronics inside (including a hacked-up wall wart for a power supply.) Nothing radioactive here:

Actually it's almost certainly been repurposed once already, considering the enclosure has a build date from 1992 but there are boards from the early-2000s inside.

I'm willing to bet "Prototype Equipment Design" was somebody at the machine shop a few doors down from where it was put out for disposal.

Ok, so that thing has a micro controller in it by Parallax Inc:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax,_Inc._(company)

The type of controller is "Basic Stamp"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC_Stamp

Since it has a "motor" label on the output side, I bet it was being used as a PWM controller for a motor for something.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2451 of 4586, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
Ok, so that thing has a micro controller in it by Parallax Inc: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax,_Inc._(company) […]
Show full quote

Ok, so that thing has a micro controller in it by Parallax Inc:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax,_Inc._(company)

The type of controller is "Basic Stamp"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC_Stamp

Since it has a "motor" label on the output side, I bet it was being used as a PWM controller for a motor for something.

Thanks! Looks like a neat little kit. I'm going to dig into it when I have more time.

I was after a microcontroller to drive an LED board thing anyway... this just might get the job.

Reply 2452 of 4586, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

Keep that 64 value. Their prices are going to skyrocket once the re-release of the 64 gold gets done.
AWE64 Legacy

Why would the price go up?

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 2453 of 4586, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Half-Saint wrote:
luckybob wrote:

Keep that 64 value. Their prices are going to skyrocket once the re-release of the 64 gold gets done.
AWE64 Legacy

The assumption is that everyone and is uncle will want one, so demand for AWE64 Value cards, needed for the AWE chip, will outstrip supply and prices will skyrocket.

Much as the AWE64 Gold re-imagining (it's not a 1:1 rerelease by any stretch of the imagination) is incredibly impressive and promises to be pretty much the ultimate ISA sound card, it's a very niche market and unavoidably high pricing isn't going to help. I don't forsee a massive run on AWE64 Value cards anytime soon...

Reply 2454 of 4586, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
Half-Saint wrote:
luckybob wrote:

AWE64 Legacy

The assumption is that everyone and is uncle will want one, so demand for AWE64 Value cards, needed for the AWE chip, will outstrip supply and prices will skyrocket.

Much as the AWE64 Gold re-imagining (it's not a 1:1 rerelease by any stretch of the imagination) is incredibly impressive and promises to be pretty much the ultimate ISA sound card, it's a very niche market and unavoidably high pricing isn't going to help. I don't forsee a massive run on AWE64 Value cards anytime soon...

Well, they say there will only be about 30 cards made in the first run. We'll see how that goes in the future but I also don't expect this to have any effect on the price of AWE64 Value cards.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 2455 of 4586, by ghost180sx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

xjas, are you a Canuck? So wicked seeing prototypes made for the Canadian Space Agency! That's cool.

I recommend you dial the number on that box, and say that you've acquired it second hand and if they'd tell you anything about it? I'm sure they'd be happy to!
That basic stamp micro-controller should be perfect for fan control with a bit of hacking.

Reply 2456 of 4586, by ghost180sx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Standard Def Steve wrote:

Found this boss Pentium while out taking my Saturday morning walk. The turbo switch, 2-digit display, and 5.25 floppy all seem a bit out of place in a P-MMX, so I'm thinking that this case may have originally housed a 386 or 486. Everything works and the system boots right into Win95.

Damn, Steve, wanna trade for that? I'm assuming you're in YYC as I doubt that Boss Pentium made in Calgary has traveled far from home...

I'm dying for a system with a Turbo button!

Reply 2457 of 4586, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:
Repo Man11 wrote:
precaud wrote:

According to the bios string, its a Fugutech M506

Fugutech = PCChips = Amptron by the way.

And I think the PCChips M506 is exactly the same as yours 😁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2458 of 4586, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

Fugutech = PCChips = Amptron by the way.

And I think the PCChips M506 is exactly the same as yours 😁

Thanks for the ID PC Hoarder. Yes, Google took me to a page that indicated that this was a PCChips board, and apparently is the infamous one that had fake cache chips on it! I'm still waiting for the AT to PS/2 adapter to see if it will boot to Windows, but in the meantime I bought a Biostar MB8500TTD for $39.00 shipped on Ebay. Not the TXP4 I would have liked, but the prices on those are downright silly these days.

Reply 2459 of 4586, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
Half-Saint wrote:
luckybob wrote:

AWE64 Legacy

The prices of common ISA sound cards are not rising anymore. The peak is reached.

And like I already mentioned earlier; most people don't want to spend massive amounts of money on retro hardware, even if it's new. Anything over € 300 is a pain in the ass to sell, I know that from experience.