VOGONS

First post, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

System: ASUS P3B-F, 440BX Pentium II 400 unlocked, 256mb ram, Diamond Stealth 64 2001 (S3 TrioV64+)

I just got a Voodoo 1, Diamond Monster 3D. The passthrough is working and drivers are installed and card info is being reported.

When it come to launching games where glide should be kicking in with the 3dfx logo, the screen goes black and says 'Entering Power Save' mode. I've tried Tombraider, GTA, Screamer 2 and GLQuake. In all instances, the card just does not seem to initialize BUT the system isn't frozen. When launching TR, it will go black and monitor suspends. This is where the intro video should be playing. I hit escape, monitor comes on and the video before the credits starts to play. Then it goes black. This is where I should see the spinning logo but I got nothing. If I hit enter three times, which gets you in to the game, the pre-level video plays. After that, screen goes black. I restart at that point. It almost seems as if the card might be trying to run at an unsupported resolution and refresh rate but I tried three monitors, all low-res games played fine.

I tried multiple things like trying other 2d cards (or 3d with 2d) multiple PCI slots, tried AGP and PCI video cards. I switched every setting in the bios I can see and no go. removed ram, and no go. The card came from ebay and is supposed to be NOS. Did come new looking and all caps and other parts look good.

I searched but could not find this exact issue.

Last edited by GiSWiG on 2019-10-05, 14:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 1 of 15, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GiSWiG wrote:

the card might be trying to run at an unsupported resolution and refresh rate but I tried three monitors

Exactly which version of Windows and what resolutions are supported? What resolution are the games trying to run at?

If you don't know which resolutions are supported my SIV utility should tell you. The latest release is attached to SIV support for 386/486/586 class + Alpha CPUs and 3dfx + S3 + SiS + Matrox + XGI + old ATI + NVidia GPUs - Testing Help and the screen to check is Menu->Machine->Graphics. Below is what I get on this system, but I suspect you will get rather less as you probably one have one active monitor.

Attachments

• RED.png
    Filename
    RED.png
    File size
    64.86 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Menu->Machine->Graphics
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 15, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It might be more of a refresh problem. I was successfully using a Voodoo Rush and Voodoo 3 to play Tomb Raider on the same monitor. I did try the environment variable SET SST_SCREENREFRESH=60 but that was a no go. Do the env. variable that are usually used for Voodoo2 work for Voodoo1?

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 3 of 15, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm able to give it some time now. I'm building a very capable machine that I am quite happy with, the last piece is the Voodoo 1, Diamond 3D Monster, 1996 Revision B. I think it might be no good. I bought it off ebay as new-old-stock, looks brand new, slot contacts had no scratches, pass through works, but as soon as glide loads, I just get a black screen and monitor goes in to power save mode, some monitors state video is out of range. I've tried several monitors, several boards, several games and nada. I've looked over the card with a magnifying glass. I see no broken off parts, no burn outs, etc. Again, looks brand new.

Anyone have experience resurrecting these cards? Otherwise, I might just put it up on ebay as parts-only and take a hit. Maybe someone would like it as a display piece.

Reply 4 of 15, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This may be a driver issue. Have you tried various drivers with the card?
Can you quit the game with Alt+F4 or does the PC lock up completely?
Have you tried the Voodoo Graphics showcase demos?

Reply 5 of 15, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently i had exactly this problem - a brand new looking Voodoo 1 suddenly stopped showing in the Hardware monitor of Windows (95).
This is on 486dx5 class motherboards. Tried different mobos, CPU/FBS speeds, new Win installs. Is gone.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 7 of 15, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've tried in DOS, mostly Screamer 2 and Tomb Raider. I don't think you need to install drivers for DOS. I have before but it does not seem to make any difference. It is recognized in Windows as well, the card is recognized, the driver installs, the info tab has info on the card, no issues reported.

Reply 8 of 15, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just in case you didn't knew - Voodoo1 and Voodoo2 cards almost always pass the signal, no matter how damaged they are. I think you can even rip the video chips out of the cards and they will still pass the video to the primary card, they only block the signal when needed. It's a very simple mechanism that don't rely on much. So the fact that the card will pass video signal means nothing related to Voodoo card functionality.

Reply 9 of 15, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RaverX wrote:

Just in case you didn't knew - Voodoo1 and Voodoo2 cards almost always pass the signal, no matter how damaged they are. I think you can even rip the video chips out of the cards and they will still pass the video to the primary card, they only block the signal when needed. It's a very simple mechanism that don't rely on much. So the fact that the card will pass video signal means nothing related to Voodoo card functionality.

Yeah I knew that but I should of course mention that the passthrough works. I'm hoping to get the 3dfx part to work.

Reply 11 of 15, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've had this happen with regular graphic cards if the system isnt happy with the driver version. Try all driver versions, generic and from the specific card vendor.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 12 of 15, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Drivers aren't the issue if it does not even work in pure DOS. There are no drivers involved in this case.

If it was sold as NOS but isn't working, just return it. It's not that working Voodoo 1 cards are hard to find.

Reply 13 of 15, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could you try the V1 in another system? I remember having some compatibility issues with P3B-F and 3dfx HW. Also V1 sometimes doesn't work properly with faster systems. P2 400 should still be on the safe side... but something like Pentium MMX should definitely work without issues.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 14 of 15, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
havli wrote:

Could you try the V1 in another system? I remember having some compatibility issues with P3B-F and 3dfx HW. Also V1 sometimes doesn't work properly with faster systems. P2 400 should still be on the safe side... but something like Pentium MMX should definitely work without issues.

Second that. I have a Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D that won't work with Pentium IIs faster than 350MHz.

Reply 15 of 15, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I'm going to call it a dud. I put in my unlocked P2 400 and I tired it at 400MHz, 200MHz, 133MHz, nothing. I've seen PCL's voodoo videos and it looks like Phil has had V1s working in Pentium 4 machines on LCDs. The last thing I'm going to try is a CRT monitor. I've asked around but no one seems to have one anymore (go fig). If it works with a CRT, I'll sell it as working but I'm not holding my breath. I might get another V1 or V2 or stick with DOSBOX ECE which really does work great.

Thanks