VOGONS

First post, by tails

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm finding that my build is being haunted by blue screens, rundll errors and scandisk saying that it's finding corrupt data and long file names. I've checked the ram and not found any issues and was wondering if it's becase I'm using a 250GB hdd. It's partitioned into three fat32 partitions of roughly 10GB, 111GB and 111GB. I've always installed on a freshly formatted 10GB partition and no other weird unofficial updates are being installed. Only the drivers for my hardware.

Reply 2 of 15, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://msfn.org/board/topic/148706-max-size- … 8se-can-handle/

I personally use a SIL3114 based SATA controller and have installed this http://www.mdgx.com/files/BHDD31.ZIP from http://www.mdgx.com/upd98me.php for the updated utils .
I have a 500GB SATA drive with multiple <127GB partitions in use with no issues .

EDIT : The partition table was created with a Linux bootable CD or FreeDOS (not sure which) .

Reply 5 of 15, by tails

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote:

You can patch win9x to work with hard drives up to 2TB, but it isn't really worth it IMO. 128gb is an absolutely massive amount of space.

You're right. The only reason I was trying to use larger was to have all my retro PC software and drivers there and available for me on another partition rather than finding discs or constantly transfering files between PC's on USB flash drives.

Reply 6 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tails wrote:
mothergoose729 wrote:

You can patch win9x to work with hard drives up to 2TB, but it isn't really worth it IMO. 128gb is an absolutely massive amount of space.

You're right. The only reason I was trying to use larger was to have all my retro PC software and drivers there and available for me on another partition rather than finding discs or constantly transfering files between PC's on USB flash drives.

You still cant do this with 128GB? Honest question as I do exactly this but don't even fill 128GB

Reply 7 of 15, by data9791

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Windows 98 can not use hard disks larger than 128 GB. If it is larger, writing to anything past the 128 GB will cause a wrap-around and cause random data corruption.

Is it possible to set larger drive to read only and use them to copy from?

Reply 9 of 15, by tails

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:
tails wrote:
mothergoose729 wrote:

You still cant do this with 128GB? Honest question as I do exactly this but don't even fill 128GB

I probably can. Just also wanted to use some of the hardware I have on hand

Reply 10 of 15, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tails wrote:

What's special about that particular SATA controller that Windows prefers to any type of on-board controller?

It's not really special, it is just one example of a controller that requires its own driver and does not use esdi_506.pdr .

esdi_506.pdr limitations are the root cause of the issue with drive size .

Reply 11 of 15, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

what about external usb drives using the nusb stack? i've got a 500gb external hdd which has 7 x 32gb FAT32 partitions and one big NTFS partition. will i have problems after the 4th partition where the size gets over the limit? i haven't noticed anything strange (yet) and i've swapped this drive between 5 computers, filling up about 180gb of it so far...

Reply 12 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
foil_fresh wrote:

what about external usb drives using the nusb stack? i've got a 500gb external hdd which has 7 x 32gb FAT32 partitions and one big NTFS partition. will i have problems after the 4th partition where the size gets over the limit? i haven't noticed anything strange (yet) and i've swapped this drive between 5 computers, filling up about 180gb of it so far...

Problem is Win9x doesn't understand NTFS nativity.
You can get 3rd party programs, the read only versions can be free which may be enough for what your after anyway.
https://msfn.org/board/topic/110814-ntfs-supp … -in-win-98seme/

Reply 13 of 15, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

im keeping the ntfs partition for xp only so it never gets detected in win98 thus not an issue for me, just worried about the 7x32gb aspect.

edit: i will add that this is a usb 3.0 drive connecting via an NEC PCI USB 2.0 card, using NUSB 3.6 and the NEC drivers for the card. The disk driver is a standard driver from the 98se cd.

edit2: looks like i've fudged myself pretty hard, 22bit lba extends to external/removable media. there is a possibility things written past the 128th gigabyte will wrap around and write to the beginning of the disk (the partition with all my DOS games on it... uh oh. explains why i had so much trouble last night installing video drivers 😀

Last edited by foil_fresh on 2019-10-25, 02:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 15, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have used an external USB drive with Win98 without issues well over 128GB. My current setup uses a Pi and an SMBv1 share. I think it’s strictly a limitation with the onboard HDD controllers and BIOS at the time.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 15 of 15, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SaxxonPike wrote:

I have used an external USB drive with Win98 without issues well over 128GB. My current setup uses a Pi and an SMBv1 share. I think it’s strictly a limitation with the onboard HDD controllers and BIOS at the time.

do you recall if you filled up over 128gb?