VOGONS

PCMCIA Graphics and Video decoding cards

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 77, by Mike1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok thanks will have a look to do this.

The box I have doesn’t have any images it’s a plain box, but heavily stickered with eBay label tape. So not much to see. There is evidence of the original address of CNF under the tape so I suspect it’s original and it came foam packed.

But as a image to share I don’t think it adds anything. But happy to do so if wanted.

Reply 21 of 77, by Mike1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Lolo799, thanks for the PM. Yes sounds good I’d be interested. I’m a new member so unable to reply. If you can share a pm with an email address I’d be happy to reply and maybe suggest a proposal 😀 I’ll get those details posted soon

Reply 22 of 77, by Mike1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's the device drivers i've just added into a zip files as there's multiple files in the directory:

Image, with zip file attached containing these files:

TheBus_files.jpg
Filename
TheBus_files.jpg
File size
69.89 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
CNFtheBus.zip
File size
1.09 MiB
Downloads
93 downloads
File license

Pics of box to follow, I suspect it's an oem packaged box.

Reply 23 of 77, by Mike1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Box images:

8B30CD4E-9607-458C-AF8F-9A43ED5CDA00.jpeg
Filename
8B30CD4E-9607-458C-AF8F-9A43ED5CDA00.jpeg
File size
70.93 KiB
Views
File license
B8D5DCED-E2BC-4FAF-AE0C-BF358494177E.jpeg
Filename
B8D5DCED-E2BC-4FAF-AE0C-BF358494177E.jpeg
File size
71.81 KiB
Views
File license
354E44F1-63EE-4558-B983-34F85AED7A29.jpeg
Filename
354E44F1-63EE-4558-B983-34F85AED7A29.jpeg
File size
96.38 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 24 of 77, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found this card - Simple Tech SimpleVision MPEG-1 Multimedia PCMCIA Card. There is no info about this card online. I'm wondering if it's a rebranded version of above mentioned cards? It's for sale on ebay right now, BTW.

mpeg-1 pcmcia.jpg
Filename
mpeg-1 pcmcia.jpg
File size
20.01 KiB
Views
File comment
Simplevision
File license
Public domain

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 26 of 77, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote on 2020-06-16, 09:24:

Interesting the idea of having that MPEG2 decoder card on a 386 with the PCMCIA to ISA card adapter. Would it works?

I think it won't work. These cards require Zoomed video port (a direct connection between PC card slot and VGA controller), which is not supported by ISA.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 27 of 77, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote on 2020-06-16, 08:45:

Found this card - Simple Tech SimpleVision MPEG-1 Multimedia PCMCIA Card. There is no info about this card online. I'm wondering if it's a rebranded version of above mentioned cards? It's for sale on ebay right now, BTW.
mpeg-1 pcmcia.jpg

Interesting find, you're right, no mention of it on the
archived simpletech.com website.
The company sold a lot rebranded hardware, must be the case for that mpeg1 card too.

Interesting the idea of having that MPEG2 decoder card on a 386 with the PCMCIA to ISA card adapter. Would it works?

Not only you would need a ZV port, as Bondi wrote, unless you use the tv out of the card only, it might work.
But you'd still need Win9x running the drivers and software, plus you'd need a fast enough hdd or optical drive for the mpeg2 data transfer, so on a 386, not sure you can, or going scsi all the way perhaps.

Feel free to try though!

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 28 of 77, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lolo799 wrote on 2020-06-16, 09:49:
Interesting find, you're right, no mention of it on the archived simpletech.com website. The company sold a lot rebranded hardw […]
Show full quote
Bondi wrote on 2020-06-16, 08:45:

mpeg-1 pcmcia.jpg

Interesting find, you're right, no mention of it on the
archived simpletech.com website.
The company sold a lot rebranded hardware, must be the case for that mpeg1 card too.

Not only you would need a ZV port, as Bondi wrote, unless you use the tv out of the card only, it might work.
But you'd still need Win9x running the drivers and software, plus you'd need a fast enough hdd or optical drive for the mpeg2 data transfer, so on a 386, not sure you can, or going scsi all the way perhaps.

Feel free to try though!

I've always been a fan of the MPEG2 decoder cards in all their various solutions. Even if at the end they never get to find a perfect combination back in those days.
Maybe in a 386 would really be too much but it sounds so "extreme" as upgrade. Also lot of others PCMCIA cards would (beside the o.s. requirement for sure) be theorically possible.

Reply 29 of 77, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found the existence of other models, happy hunting!

New Media made a 16bit PCMCIA SVGA card, model number J9MSVGA, it was only sold as an option for the Gateway 2000 Handbook486.

NewMediaSVGA.png
Filename
NewMediaSVGA.png
File size
122.94 KiB
Views
File license
Filename
hb4vid.zip
File size
742.81 KiB
Downloads
86 downloads
File comment
Its driver, from driverguide
File license

On the Cardbus side, IO Data made the CBMLX and CBMLX2, both based on the Silicon Motion Lynx3D chip.

cbmlxhako.gif
Filename
cbmlxhako.gif
File size
15.18 KiB
Views
File license
20210307_115044.jpg
Filename
20210307_115044.jpg
File size
9.02 KiB
Views
File license

The CBMLX works under Windows 95/98 and supports DirectX 6.1:
https://www.iodata.jp/products/graphics/cbmlx/index.htm

The CBMLX2 has drivers for Windows 98 upto XP a.d supports DirectX8.1:
https://www.iodata.jp/products/graphics/cbmlx/index.htm

Reply 30 of 77, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And for MPEG1 decoding, Smart Modular sold a card under its Apex Data brand, the Media Express card:

20210307_122052.jpg
Filename
20210307_122052.jpg
File size
107.76 KiB
Views
File license
20210307_122114.jpg
Filename
20210307_122114.jpg
File size
101.8 KiB
Views
File license

https://web.archive.org/web/19970111203637/ht … ta.com/mpeg.htm

The more famous Toshiba Noteworthy MPEG:

6FwsebayRLUazsa4cAbUHt3aRLOM2EY.jpeg.jpg
Filename
6FwsebayRLUazsa4cAbUHt3aRLOM2EY.jpeg.jpg
File size
177.38 KiB
Views
File license

Panasonic sold one as well:

20210307_121413.jpg
Filename
20210307_121413.jpg
File size
24.01 KiB
Views
File license

I'm not sure if that last one is a rebranded version of the other cards out there.

Reply 31 of 77, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another Cardbus video card AXELL AS51952 AG902

AXELL 2.png
Filename
AXELL 2.png
File size
272.58 KiB
Views
File license
AXELL.png
Filename
AXELL.png
File size
221.71 KiB
Views
File license
AXELL 3.png
Filename
AXELL 3.png
File size
166.43 KiB
Views
File license

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 33 of 77, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lolo799 wrote on 2021-03-15, 09:37:

Nice find!
The url isn't archived sadly.
Do you own that card?

No, I don't have it. But it's on Yahoo right now.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 34 of 77, by Mike1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bondi wrote on 2021-03-15, 09:46:
lolo799 wrote on 2021-03-15, 09:37:

Nice find!
The url isn't archived sadly.
Do you own that card?

No, I don't have it. But it's on Yahoo right now.

I’d been watching this one for a few months and equally couldn’t find anything more about it but I’ve many old machines with cardbus that I could try it out.

I’m now the new owner and can share some more detail when it arrives.

Mike

Reply 35 of 77, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man, crazy there's a thread on this now, especially since I picked up a "VersaVideo" a few months ago (NEC's rebranded version of a NogaTech Nogavision 16-bit PCMCICA card). I'm still working on getting that thing working on my various NEC Versas (40EC, V/50, M/75, and P/75). It's basically a NogaTech LLZ NV256 DV capture card and the install program aims primarily at the era of NEC versa laptop I'm into (Ultralite Versa, Versa E, Versa V, Versa M, Versa P).

I got it in the original box with all of the manuals and dongle. It comes with 2 applications, one for WIndows 3.1 called "VersaVideo" which is supposedly the DV capture version of the card, it seems it does not capture audio though, and the other application which is for DOS and called fullTV.exe - which apparently allows you to use your DOS based laptop as a television/monitor for gaming. I also believe, if I'm not mistaken, this is an mpeg1 card.

The issue I'm dealing with in getting it working is getting it to be picked up by VersaVideo and consistently be picked up by fulltv as well. I think I might have to install a different card services application since it seems (oddly) the default one NEC shipped with the Versa Ultralite/E/V/M/P models (scirrus.exe) is not the preferred/default method and is a bit janky.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 36 of 77, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's pics of VersaVideo

Attachments

~The Creeping Network~

Reply 37 of 77, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
creepingnet wrote on 2022-02-02, 15:08:

Interesting! Thanks for the pics.
Is this indeed a video card as they call it? Or it's a MPEG decoder? How does it work? And does it work in DOS?

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 38 of 77, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote on 2022-02-02, 16:28:

Is this indeed a video card as they call it? Or it's a MPEG decoder? How does it work? And does it work in DOS?

I tried to post that in the thread above, but was kind of excited to see the thread 🤣

- The card is a mpeg1 Decoder (will confirm again later) card, it seems (per the manual) it does not record audio though (though it could probably be rigged to if one were to pass the audio source from the heaphone jack to the line-in of say, a Versa M or P laptop which has a sound card using alternative software).

- It does work in DOS. There's a program called "FullTV" that allows playback through the card to be displayed on the laptop's screen. Seems it uses 320x200 mode as well (not sure if true color or 256 color).

- The card seems primarily aimed at NEC Versa Ultralite/E/V/M/P model laptops such as those I own (I have a NEC Versa 40EC, V/50, M/75, and P/75) which are PCMCIA x2 16-bit Systems. The install program specifically lists off the NEC versa laptop computers I have + the one I don't (Ultralite) to determine installation I believe.

- The Dongle is composite input and has a "headphone out" on it, which makes sense, the Versa Ultralite/E/V models don't have a sound card so all sound is handled through the PCMCIA card, likely as just a passthrough. But the P/75 had ESS AudioDrive and the M/75 & M/100 have Crystal CS-4231-KQ WSS chips in them so those might be usable to record MPEG1 off of to a hard drive with sound.

That said, reading the manual for the laptops vs. the card, they tend to point to the Phoenix Card Services as being better, which is highly odd since I have the entire drivers collection from the NEC FTP, and the Ultralite/E/V/M/P all shipped with Cirrus card services (SCIRRUS.EXE being the main TSR). However, it seems I'm getting something out of Cirrus.

How the Cirrus services work is it sends a command to power up the PCMCIA port and then uses a series of "reference files" to determine the settings for the card, IIRC this card lives at address 380h (heck, the reference files for Cirrus are plaintext). These card services also tend to connect themselves to a NEC provided PCMCIA utility that allows you to hot-swap PCMCIA cards in Windows 3.1 in real time and it can auto-detect the card type if there's a resource file for it - picks up this card + my Aironet, WaveLAN Silver, PCMCIA Ethernet, and Xjack modems all surprisingly well, though it can be janky at times.

I have managed to get this card working somewhat - once - in DOS using the FullTV app, but I have not yet got it working in Windows 3.1 yet. I might want to do some exploring to see if I can find some more DOS programs for this kind of card. Part of why I picked it up is to make some YouTube videos with my old Windows 3.1/DOS laptops....just to claim I am one of the few, if any others, on YouTube recording on a 486 :XD.

~The Creeping Network~

Reply 39 of 77, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
creepingnet wrote on 2022-02-02, 17:06:
Bondi wrote on 2022-02-02, 16:28:

I tried to post that in the thread above, but was kind of excited to see the thread 🤣

Ah, sorry, missed your earlier post.

- The card is a mpeg1 Decoder (will confirm again later) card, it seems (per the manual) it does not record audio though (though […]
Show full quote

- The card is a mpeg1 Decoder (will confirm again later) card, it seems (per the manual) it does not record audio though (though it could probably be rigged to if one were to pass the audio source from the heaphone jack to the line-in of say, a Versa M or P laptop which has a sound card using alternative software).

- It does work in DOS. There's a program called "FullTV" that allows playback through the card to be displayed on the laptop's screen. Seems it uses 320x200 mode as well (not sure if true color or 256 color).

- The card seems primarily aimed at NEC Versa Ultralite/E/V/M/P model laptops such as those I own (I have a NEC Versa 40EC, V/50, M/75, and P/75) which are PCMCIA x2 16-bit Systems. The install program specifically lists off the NEC versa laptop computers I have + the one I don't (Ultralite) to determine installation I believe.

- The Dongle is composite input and has a "headphone out" on it, which makes sense, the Versa Ultralite/E/V models don't have a sound card so all sound is handled through the PCMCIA card, likely as just a passthrough. But the P/75 had ESS AudioDrive and the M/75 & M/100 have Crystal CS-4231-KQ WSS chips in them so those might be usable to record MPEG1 off of to a hard drive with sound.

That said, reading the manual for the laptops vs. the card, they tend to point to the Phoenix Card Services as being better, which is highly odd since I have the entire drivers collection from the NEC FTP, and the Ultralite/E/V/M/P all shipped with Cirrus card services (SCIRRUS.EXE being the main TSR). However, it seems I'm getting something out of Cirrus.

How the Cirrus services work is it sends a command to power up the PCMCIA port and then uses a series of "reference files" to determine the settings for the card, IIRC this card lives at address 380h (heck, the reference files for Cirrus are plaintext). These card services also tend to connect themselves to a NEC provided PCMCIA utility that allows you to hot-swap PCMCIA cards in Windows 3.1 in real time and it can auto-detect the card type if there's a resource file for it - picks up this card + my Aironet, WaveLAN Silver, PCMCIA Ethernet, and Xjack modems all surprisingly well, though it can be janky at times.

I have managed to get this card working somewhat - once - in DOS using the FullTV app, but I have not yet got it working in Windows 3.1 yet. I might want to do some exploring to see if I can find some more DOS programs for this kind of card. Part of why I picked it up is to make some YouTube videos with my old Windows 3.1/DOS laptops....just to claim I am one of the few, if any others, on YouTube recording on a 486 :XD.

My understanding may be wrong, sorry for that, but I'm a bit confused. Is this a capture card or a mpeg decoder or both? Does it play avi files from HDD(decoder) or video from the composite input(capture)? In a way you referred to both in your description.
Anyways the fact that it works in DOS is quite unique. If it turns out to be a MPEG decoder card, then it's the only one that I know of that works in DOS. As for capture cards, there are IBM/Ratoc cards that work in DOS as well.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart