VOGONS

First post, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have encountered and purchased this sound card from Toptek:

ghU5Iprt.jpg

As name of the thread implies, it's Golden Sound Pro 16ES with genuine OPL3 chip. The card was in really bad shape, very filthy and dusty. After cleaning, it's looking rather nice. I have a thing for sound cards with lot of big IC's 😁.

I have noticed that this card uses non-standard wavetable header, with one connector being at bottom (40 pins) and another at top (10 pins). It's almost impossible for me to find standard SB compatible wavetable daughterboards, not to mention non-standard one.

It would be nice to create some adapter for it so standard wavetable board could be plugged in. Does anyone have any idea how these connectors are wired?

Reply 1 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The card uses a custom thing specfic to that card so without it you're pretty much out of luck. You're much better off using an external device with it, it will be much more effort than it is worth to try to adapt normal WB interface to it.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 4, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This brings back memories. Our first sound card was one from Toptek but, the 8-bit mono one.
Agree with Tiido - you're better off using the external MIDI/ Game port.

The Wavetable header is in any case 40 pins and the standard header is 26 pins.

Take note that, based on what I can see, the CD-ROM connectors are still using the old proprietary ones (i.e., no IDE connector).

Last edited by jesolo on 2019-12-12, 21:14. Edited 2 times in total.