Common searches

Welcome to the updated VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 420 of 743, by Drifter82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dada wrote on 2020-01-10, 13:36:

SIt's just a bit of a shock. I'll need to get used to it. It's not bad, it's just...everything is so big now. I liked how neat and compact everything used to be. Nos there's so many frills around everything. Everything looks so complicated.

But what of the semi-encapsulated text boxes, replete with dotted line shadowing? There is some sort of devilish genius in it.

Hang on, I need to look off in this distance for a moment.

Reply 421 of 743, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi there.
I notice some issues with pictures in a thread that i post from time to time.
3 (+3 more) retro battle stations
Basically the pictures are available, but the [img] tag is not showing them.
At the same time i see others posting images successfully.

Is this a bug with the new forums template, or new rule that i am not aware of ?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 423 of 743, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't mean to be rude, but I really hate the site,
The text is too giant, and the colors are just way too absurd, it burns the eyes and there is absolutely no shape, buttons just look like boxes with text and not like actual buttons
You can't even sort like you used to be able to

Reply 425 of 743, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sure this was already asked but... why did you decide to go to a totally new forum software instead of just updating to the latest PHPBB which'd presumably addresses most/all of the issues while keeping things much more familiar?

Last edited by franpa on 2020-01-13, 09:08. Edited 1 time in total.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 426 of 743, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow! What a surprise to log into after a couple of weeks away. Stoked with the usability on mobile now.

Facelifts like this always generate a little controversy but it's often just a case of getting used to it. Like some others I'm finding it a little 'big' on the desktop, but that's the case with many sites these days. Couple of clicks of zoom-out and it's sweet.

Reply 427 of 743, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heads up: Set all settings to "small" in the visual settings in your preferences. Together with the oldskool colour theme things get visually as close to what it once was.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto-10.png
    Filename
    Bildschirmfoto-10.png
    File size
    117.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 428 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did anyone even bothered to do a side by side comparison between the current Old Skool theme and the previous (2019) forum theme?

I’m pretty sure there is very little difference and people is just moaning for nothing...

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 429 of 743, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yes, and there are a few massive differences that made the old design so much easier to use.
I already mentioned the font issue, and even at small size it is less compact than before, same for UI elements
background seperation is bad on the new design, it is hard to glance over pages and the design elements flow in a way that also makes it hard to glance over topics in the overview.

Reply 431 of 743, by dann86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bfcastello wrote on 2020-01-13, 10:38:

Did anyone even bothered to do a side by side comparison between the current Old Skool theme and the previous (2019) forum theme?

I’m pretty sure there is very little difference and people is just moaning for nothing...

zONBfyi.jpg

Also ware is the BB code/smileys box?

Reply 432 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very little difference between the 2019 VOGONS and actual VOGONS. Same pink style, except the background is even more pink now...

dann86 wrote on 2020-01-14, 18:18:

Snover mentioned that you can now use the emojis available on your OS (for starters, smartphones offer them, and macOS do have them) but dunno about Windows and Linux.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 433 of 743, by dann86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bfcastello wrote on 2020-01-14, 18:24:

Very little difference between the 2019 VOGONS and actual VOGONS. Same pink style, except the background is even more pink now...

Snover mentioned that you can now use the emojis available on your OS (for starters, smartphones offer them, and macOS do have them) but dunno about Windows and Linux.

I tried that the other day and it did not work and I'm betting that most of us are on windows/Linux.

Reply 434 of 743, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 10 comes with an Emoji keyboard. Can be enabled with WIN + .

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 436 of 743, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well, the old ones had a nice pixel style, whatever windows is using by default looks like the outcome of some horrible experiment that went totally wrong.

vogonsunsmileys.png
Filename
vogonsunsmileys.png
File size
1.1 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
https://i.imgur.com/zONBfyi.jpg […]
Show full quote

zONBfyi.jpg

; u ;
I miss you old vogons

Reply 437 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Someone suggested a like button for the posts like the one that exists on MSFN forums. I dunno in which thread it was suggested here.

To be fair, I think that the like button is better than doing just a post to show your "like", unless you have something more to say other than "amazing!".

I thought about this right now after I was reading the thread about retro activity of the day, where some forum members were discussing about the C64. I was going to say "i like it, great idea!" but I thought that a post just for it was too much and a like button would be better...

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 438 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

IMO, think of it like participating in a real discussion. Even if you just stand there listening to them, it's nicer to say "Great idea, I like it" than just putting your thumbs up 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 439 of 743, by sledge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@imi: Windows emojis are ok, it's your weird system settings what makes them look like that. Same situation as with your fonts. You've disabled antialiasing & cleartype and you are complaining that things look wrong. Well, YOU made them look wrong, simple as that 😀

doshaven.eu / high-voltage.cz