Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 32260 of 52739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
furan wrote on 2020-02-01, 17:08:
Lately I've been obsessing over WiNDy 星野金属 (Hoshino Metal) cases that were made in Japan in the late 90s. I finally decided to b […]
Show full quote

Lately I've been obsessing over WiNDy 星野金属 (Hoshino Metal) cases that were made in Japan in the late 90s. I finally decided to buy this guy to put my 24 core ARM board in (not retro I know, but the case is).

Meet the WiNDy JAZZ LV Ω OMEGA Red:
umebJYm.png
sVz91Ys.png
Z3OjNTr.png
Kswgl5X.png

That..... Is.... A..... Freaking sweet case. 😳

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 32261 of 52739, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
furan wrote on 2020-02-01, 17:08:
Lately I've been obsessing over WiNDy 星野金属 (Hoshino Metal) cases that were made in Japan in the late 90s. I finally decided to b […]
Show full quote

Lately I've been obsessing over WiNDy 星野金属 (Hoshino Metal) cases that were made in Japan in the late 90s. I finally decided to buy this guy to put my 24 core ARM board in (not retro I know, but the case is).

Meet the WiNDy JAZZ LV Ω OMEGA Red:
umebJYm.png
sVz91Ys.png
Z3OjNTr.png
Kswgl5X.png

oooo they're iconic, I remember wanting one of those WINDy cases so badly back in the dey, but they cost as much as a whole computer.

Reply 32262 of 52739, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought these two semi-vintage pc's from a local SA store Thursday for $30 total. Both have PCIe and PCI slots plus SATA, IDE and floppy ports. Really like the look of the Dell, hard to imagine the original stickers are still on the Gateway. Just got to mess with them last night, did not expect either to boot but both did.
Gateway: P4-3Ghz, 1Gb ram, 200Gb HD, DVD rom, add-on 7100GS vid card. The Dell has a Sempron 1.8Ghz/3400+, 512Mb ram and DVDrom, is missing HD and NB heatsink (I frankensteined one on as a temporary, the HS stirup/tie downs are extremely far apart compared to most).

Attachments

• Img_0787s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_0787s.jpg
    File size
    481.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Img_0781s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_0781s.jpg
    File size
    564.38 KiB
    Views
    File license

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 32263 of 52739, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A few more pictures. The Gateway has the dreaded ATI chipset, haven't figured out the Dells chipset yet.

Attachments

• Img_0783s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_0783s.jpg
    File size
    472.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Img_0785s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_0785s.jpg
    File size
    318.2 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Img_0789s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_0789s.jpg
    File size
    322.45 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Img_0790s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_0790s.jpg
    File size
    361.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Img_0791s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_0791s.jpg
    File size
    576.22 KiB
    Views
    File license

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 32264 of 52739, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-01, 13:35:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-02-01, 11:42:

Does anyone know anything about what type of software is on these diskettes ?
Is it just a bunch of FREE ware ?

It's written on the labels what software is on the disks.

Well, i have not received it yet and i really am not sure what an Ibm subscription was at the time.
We’re these meant for home users of pc jr. or ps/2 ?
Or were these for ibm employees or engineers ?

Reply 32265 of 52739, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote on 2020-02-01, 17:40:
If it comes with an official license, then it comes with an official license. I have no way of checking if they are legit or not […]
Show full quote

If it comes with an official license, then it comes with an official license. I have no way of checking if they are legit or not.
It is the same with Windows. If a private person sell you a computer with an official license, then it is official.
All I can do, is to rely on that it is a real one. Once I recieve it, then I will register it, and then I will find out if it is real or not.

Anyway....
If I have a kickstart in my Amiga, then I am alowed to run the version of Workbench that corespond to the Kickstart version.
And it just so happens that I have a Kickstart 2.x in my Amiga600. How else would it work at all?

Worst statement to justify buying illegally copied software ever. And no, owning whatever version of a Kickstart ROM does not allow you to run a copy Workbench. The Workbench is not even needed to use an Amiga, since games boot from floppy anyway. You are apparently confusing the Amiga with the Mac, where the system software was free.

But go on and support that guy on ebay. I already contacted the WHDLoad team (WHDLoad is free but must not be bundled with commercial products) and Cloanto, because I care if still-sold and maintained software is used to make money this way.

Reply 32266 of 52739, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-02-01, 18:00:

Well, i have not received it yet and i really am not sure what an Ibm subscription was at the time.
We’re these meant for home users of pc jr. or ps/2 ?
Or were these for ibm employees or engineers ?

I see Softdisk and Big Blue Disk monthly subscription disks. Meant for home pc' users, not professionals. Similar to the Mega CD series that came out later.
You can find some at Archive.org and for sale on Ebay.Here is a little info on both:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softdisk
https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/softdisk … ue-compilations

Reply 32267 of 52739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-01, 18:06:
brostenen wrote on 2020-02-01, 17:40:
If it comes with an official license, then it comes with an official license. I have no way of checking if they are legit or not […]
Show full quote

If it comes with an official license, then it comes with an official license. I have no way of checking if they are legit or not.
It is the same with Windows. If a private person sell you a computer with an official license, then it is official.
All I can do, is to rely on that it is a real one. Once I recieve it, then I will register it, and then I will find out if it is real or not.

Anyway....
If I have a kickstart in my Amiga, then I am alowed to run the version of Workbench that corespond to the Kickstart version.
And it just so happens that I have a Kickstart 2.x in my Amiga600. How else would it work at all?

Worst statement to justify buying illegally copied software ever. And no, owning whatever version of a Kickstart ROM does not allow you to run a copy Workbench. The Workbench is not even needed to use an Amiga, since games boot from floppy anyway. You are apparently confusing the Amiga with the Mac, where the system software was free.

But go on and support that guy on ebay. I already contacted the WHDLoad team (WHDLoad is free but must not be bundled with commercial products) and Cloanto, because I care if still-sold and maintained software is used to make money this way.

Amiga's were sold with workbench. That is part of the system. You can look at it as Kickstart being the first half of the operating system and Workbench is the last half. That is how the machine was intended and that is how it was sold. Not confusing the Mac with the Amiga and the other way around. They were both bundled with a GUI. As long as I have all the Kickstart 2.x versions that the Amiga600 was sold with through it's "life", then I can use whatever Workbench version that came with the Kickstart.

As an example, then the first Kickstart 2.x that came with the Amiga600. Was bundled with Workbench 2.04 and the last version of Kickstart 2.x was bundled with Workbench 2.10.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 32268 of 52739, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2020-02-01, 17:48:

The Dell has a Sempron 1.8Ghz/3400+, 512Mb ram and DVDrom, is missing HD and NB heatsink (I frankensteined one on as a temporary, the HS stirup/tie downs are extremely far apart compared to most).

The Dell's chipset: "GeForce 6150 + nForce 430, C51G + MCP51,
supports: Athlon 64 X2, Athlon 64, Sempron 64. Socket AM2, 939, HT 1 GHz
PCIe: 18 lanes 1.0a, PCI: 6 Ports, USB: 8 Ports Rev 2.0,
IDE: 2 Ports UDMA 133, SATA: 4 Ports 3.0Gbit/s, Onboard GeForce 6150"
Well for $15 guess it was a bargain 🤣

Reply 32269 of 52739, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-02-01, 11:42:
I got a box full of old IBM 5.25 floppy diskettes. They are an IBM Subscription. I just wanted some 5.25 floppy diskettes to try […]
Show full quote

I got a box full of old IBM 5.25 floppy diskettes. They are an IBM Subscription.
I just wanted some 5.25 floppy diskettes to try out on my computer.
I have not used one since 1993.

Does anyone know anything about what type of software is on these diskettes ?
Is it just a bunch of FREE ware ?
It’s over 100 diskettes.

And a lot of 4 Intel-486dx2-66 CPU’s.
For cheap.

Quite a few of those blue 5 1/4s (all?) are from Softdisk, so they have historical interest.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 32271 of 52739, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alrighty folks..

Another year has come and gone and that means it's time for my annual collection update pictures! The shelves are a little more full after a good run of collecting in 2019, and the start of 2020 looks to be no different. Most of what I collect now is extremely specific or I'll jump on a purchase once in a while if I find a duplicate item in better condition. I've started selling off some of the bare, unboxed hardware in my collection as well as some dupes this year to reclaim some space. I hope everyone has a great start to 2020. Enjoy the pictures!

8aD3lr.jpg
s5ltHk.jpg
WvhxW4.jpg
9La8sE.jpg
ErOFlg.jpg
Jf9e0c.jpg
7kxVea.jpg
1NeLpS.jpg
5H7h7q.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 32274 of 52739, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When the corona virus wipes out 99.9% of people on the planet I will search for the legendary stash of Artex! How big can Milwaukee be...

Reply 32276 of 52739, by brownk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote on 2020-02-02, 00:31:

I've started selling off some of the bare, unboxed hardware in my collection as well as some dupes this year to reclaim some space.

Queue me in when it happens, plz.

Those boxed gravises & media visions ... must have costed you a fortune.

Reply 32278 of 52739, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice collection. Really Nice. Do you ever power any of it up ? You know computers and parts need to be powered up for a while on occasion else any electro caps will fail quicker in storage than if used daily. You could have a lot pretty but non functional stuff on those shelfs 😀

Reply 32279 of 52739, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote on 2020-02-02, 00:31:

Alrighty folks..

Another year has come and gone and that means it's time for my annual collection update pictures! The shelves are a little more full after a good run of collecting in 2019, and the start of 2020 looks to be no different. Most of what I collect now is extremely specific or I'll jump on a purchase once in a while if I find a duplicate item in better condition. I've started selling off some of the bare, unboxed hardware in my collection as well as some dupes this year to reclaim some space. I hope everyone has a great start to 2020. Enjoy the pictures!

You are aware someone is going to inherit all that stuff ?