VOGONS

HWiNFO support of vintage hardware

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 681, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like it might have crashed somewhere at/after EISA bus enumeration. But I'm surprised how well the EISA information worked 😀
Can you try to go manually through the screens to see where exactly it hangs?

Reply 102 of 681, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Planet-Dune wrote on 2020-02-10, 19:51:

This does not seem to detect PCI cards ? I tried with a few and not sure where to even look and didn't see them in the sections.

Of course it does detect them. Are you using HWiNFO32? If yes, look in the main window (with tree on left side) under the Bus node.

Reply 103 of 681, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mumak wrote on 2020-02-10, 20:01:

This does not seem to detect PCI cards ? I tried with a few and not sure where to even look and didn't see them in the sections.

Of course it does detect them. Are you using HWiNFO32? If yes, look in the main window (with tree on left side) under the Bus node.

Hmm no, I am using the DOS version as I don't have access to windows (besides 3.1) on that machine. But I might switch my testbench to a 95 build. Just picked up a 95era motherboard with isa, pci and agp.

Reply 104 of 681, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Planet-Dune wrote on 2020-02-10, 20:04:
Mumak wrote on 2020-02-10, 20:01:

Hmm no, I am using the DOS version as I don't have access to windows (besides 3.1) on that machine. But I might switch my testbench to a 95 build. Just picked up a 95era motherboard with isa, pci and agp.

The DOS version scans PCI too, you'll have to navigate through the screens to reach the bus data. System Info -> Bus Type
HWiNFO32 currently doesn't support Win95, it requires Win98 at least.

Reply 105 of 681, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-10, 19:19:
Unfortunately that did not work well. I started the dos program with -r, it showed on the screen writing report, but it got stuc […]
Show full quote

Unfortunately that did not work well.
I started the dos program with -r, it showed on the screen writing report, but it got stuck at "memory information"
I waited some time, then rebooted the machine.
It seems there was something written, I attach it.

I have fixed a few issues and also added experimental enumeration of EISA bus devices. Could you please try this build: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hwi32_623_4073.zip
and post new LOG + DBG files?

Last edited by Mumak on 2020-02-11, 11:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 106 of 681, by Slashzero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, posting this from Win95 on the 486. HWiNFO will not run on Win95... I will post some screenshots in a while.

It installed fine, but complains about a missing DLL on startup.

53A45DFA-BDAB-44BC-9678-8498CF7A5341.jpeg
Filename
File size
23.96 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I realize I just assumed it would work with Win95 since you asked for feedback from a 486. Is that not supported?

Reply 107 of 681, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Slashzero wrote on 2020-02-11, 03:40:
Sorry, posting this from Win95 on the 486. HWiNFO will not run on Win95... I will post some screenshots in a while. […]
Show full quote

Sorry, posting this from Win95 on the 486. HWiNFO will not run on Win95... I will post some screenshots in a while.

It installed fine, but complains about a missing DLL on startup.

I realize I just assumed it would work with Win95 since you asked for feedback from a 486. Is that not supported?

No, sorry, Win95 is not supported. I'm currently considering whether it's worth the effort to add this support, but it would require quite significant changes.

Reply 109 of 681, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2020-02-11, 15:25:

@CoffeeOne - I just realized that the build 4073 I posted above might be crashing the system. If it does, please try this build: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hwi32_623_4074.zip

Hello
Yes, it does.
Nevertheless let me post some files:
Program did not start => AusnahmeFehler 0D, but Windows kept running.
So debug file was not complete I guess.

Then I played around with the checkboxes. The program started when choosing "System Info only" ONLY on the start screen.
I post the debug file (bigger this time).
But in the end, there was an error window, but did no harm to the running Windows.

With log file, I guess you meant the dos-program.
I clicked through the output, and found out: The dos program hangs after showing "memory information" only the header line is shown, then I have to reboot the machine

Attachments

Reply 110 of 681, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-11, 15:47:
Hello Yes, it does. Nevertheless let me post some files: Program did not start => AusnahmeFehler 0D, but Windows kept running. S […]
Show full quote

@CoffeeOne - I just realized that the build 4073 I posted above might be crashing the system. If it does, please try this build: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hwi32_623_4074.zip

Hello
Yes, it does.

Then I played around with the checkboxes. The program started when choosing "System Info only" ONLY on the start screen.
But in the end, there was an error window, but did no harm to the running Windows.

I clicked through the output, and found out: The dos program hangs after showing "memory information" only the header line is shown, then I have to reboot the machine

Thanks! Yes, it's crashing during the EISA scan 🙁 If you choose Summary-only or Sensors-only it won't do the EISA scan, so that explains why it did work.
Can you please try build 4074 ?

Reply 111 of 681, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2020-02-11, 15:55:
Hello Yes, it does. Nevertheless let me post some files: Program did not start => AusnahmeFehler 0D, but Windows kept running. S […]
Show full quote

Hello
Yes, it does.

I edit a debug file, but it will not be complete for sure ....

EDIT: I am not at the computer now, but will be back in about 7 hours from now 😀

Thanks! Yes, it's crashing during the EISA scan 🙁 If you choose Summary-only or Sensors-only it won't do the EISA scan, so that explains why it did work.

Thanks for updating.
It's still crashing in the EISA scan.
No Windows blue screen, but windows error message and program is closed.

Attachments

Last edited by CoffeeOne on 2020-02-11, 16:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 112 of 681, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-11, 16:12:
Thanks for updating. It's still crashing in the EISA scan. No Windows blue screen, but windows error message and program is clos […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Hello
Yes, it does.

Thanks for updating.

That's quite strange. Can you please post DBG file from build 4074 crash ?

Reply 113 of 681, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2020-02-11, 16:14:
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-11, 16:12:
Thanks for updating. It's still crashing in the EISA scan. No Windows blue screen, but windows error message and program is clos […]
Show full quote

Thanks for updating.

That's quite strange. Can you please post DBG file from build 4074 crash ?

updated my post....

I cannot make further tests in the next 7 or 8 hours, will check later.

Reply 114 of 681, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-11, 16:16:

updated my post....

Thanks and sorry, that crash was my fault.
This should fix and hopefully provide EISA bus data: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hwi32_623_4075.zip

Reply 115 of 681, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2020-02-11, 16:31:

updated my post....

This should fix and hopefully provide EISA bus data: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hwi32_623_4075.zip

I am back 😀
Looks already quite good.
I will attach a screenshot, EISA devices are listed, will also attach the debug file.

I checked again the benchmark: I select only "CPU" and let it run => then I get "NA". After pressing the button close, windows crashes, I have to reboot.

As mentioned before already, the dos version hwinfo555 hangs in showing memory information (maybe running out of memory?), but that's a minor point, I like the windows version more.

Attachments

• Filename
    HWiNFO32-2020-02-12.zip
    File size
    3.18 KiB
    Downloads
    47 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • hwinf32_mic_eisa4.jpg
    Filename
    hwinf32_mic_eisa4.jpg
    File size
    70.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by CoffeeOne on 2020-02-12, 13:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 117 of 681, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-12, 13:53:
I am back :) Looks already quite good. I will attach a screenshot, EISA devices are listed, will also attach the debug file. […]
Show full quote

updated my post....

I am back 😀
I will attach a screenshot, EISA devices are listed, will also attach the debug file.

I checked again the benchmark: I select only "CPU" and let it run => then I get "NA". After pressing the button close, windows crashes, I have to reboot.

As mentioned before already, the dos version hwinfo555 hangs in showing memory information (maybe running out of memory?), but that's a minor point, I like the windows version more.

Thanks for the feedback and all the test runs! Great to see that the EISA scan finally works as expected 😀
IIRC there were always some issues with benchmarks on Win9x but I didn't find the cause yet. Will have another look at that.
As for the DOS version I'm no longer maintaining this, but perhaps some day I will get back to this...
Another thing that I was thinking about was adding the SB16 detection. This might work under NT systems, but for W9x I'd need a dump of the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet). Would you be willing to do this?

Reply 118 of 681, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Slashzero wrote on 2020-02-12, 13:56:

This app is really good! I wish it ran on <= Win95. I know it’s a stretch, but what are the odds of a Visual Studio 6 version for older machines?

It's not just about full recompilation with VS6 (which will certainly cause some issues and require additional effort), but it will require some additional changes to the way how certain system libraries are loaded.
The current situation is that I'm really thinking about trying it 😉
One of my thoughts against this was that the EXE file size is already quite large for such systems and I'm not sure how many W95 machines with less RAM would be capable of running such version.

Reply 119 of 681, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2020-02-12, 14:08:
Thanks for the feedback and all the test runs! Great to see that the EISA scan finally works as expected :) IIRC there were alwa […]
Show full quote
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-12, 13:53:
I am back :) Looks already quite good. I will attach a screenshot, EISA devices are listed, will also attach the debug file. […]
Show full quote

I am back 😀

Thanks for the feedback and all the test runs! Great to see that the EISA scan finally works as expected 😀
IIRC there were always some issues with benchmarks on Win9x but I didn't find the cause yet. Will have another look at that.
As for the DOS version I'm no longer maintaining this, but perhaps some day I will get back to this...
Another thing that I was thinking about was adding the SB16 detection. This might work under NT systems, but for W9x I'd need a dump of the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet). Would you be willing to do this?

Yes

Attachments

• Filename
    CurrentControlSet.zip
    File size
    38.35 KiB
    Downloads
    68 downloads
    File license