HWiNFO for DOS resurrected !

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BloodyCactus wrote on 2020-03-20, 13:25:

the blinking is because I think, its trying to go into 'ice' colour mode. I dont know its real name. But it uses blink as hi-colour in text mode to give you extra background colours.

Yes, looks like some problem with intensity. Instead of high intensity the video adapter interprets it as blinking. Is the adapter fully VGA capable? There was here just another ET4000AX test and that worked well.

Reply 62 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-03-20, 15:45:

On my P90 I get : "Fatal Error: Cannot open HWiNFO.PCI" using MS DOS 6.22, maybe this isnt intended to be run with PCI bus?

It is. Are you launching the tool from the directory where all files (including HWINFO.PCI) are located?

Reply 63 of 881, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2020-03-20, 15:48:
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-03-20, 15:45:

On my P90 I get : "Fatal Error: Cannot open HWiNFO.PCI" using MS DOS 6.22, maybe this isnt intended to be run with PCI bus?

It is. Are you launching the tool from the directory where all files (including HWINFO.PCI) are located?

Oops, sorry, my mistake I somehow didnt include that file on my boot disk. Many appologies, thanks for the help.

Reply 64 of 881, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mumak wrote on 2020-03-20, 15:37:
BloodyCactus wrote on 2020-03-20, 13:25:

the blinking is because I think, its trying to go into 'ice' colour mode. I dont know its real name. But it uses blink as hi-colour in text mode to give you extra background colours.

Yes, looks like some problem with intensity. Instead of high intensity the video adapter interprets it as blinking. Is the adapter fully VGA capable? There was here just another ET4000AX test and that worked well.

Quite sure. I never had any problems with it so far. It is a very standard ET4000.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 65 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote on 2020-03-20, 06:25:

One thing I noticed was that 550Kb of conventional ram wasn't enough. I had 552Kb free and the program loaded fine, but I got out of memory error during the tests itself.

Meanwhile I did a few more memory optimizations, that should improve it. Will be part of next build released.

Reply 66 of 881, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did a few runs, and sometimes it wont see my second PnP CSN. sometimes it will..

I attached log where it shows;

log1 - 2 csn's, correctly lists awe32+ gus pnp

log2 - 2 csn's, only lists gus pnp

both times it does not show more than one sound card on the perhiperhals screen.

even when it shows two CSN correctly displayed in PNP, the perhiperal screen still shows GUS as sound card but its information is still AWE32 info, and still has 0 bytes ram.

Filename
HWLOG.ZIP
File size
27.95 KiB
Downloads
106 downloads
File license
Public domain

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 67 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BloodyCactus wrote on 2020-03-20, 19:19:
I did a few runs, and sometimes it wont see my second PnP CSN. sometimes it will.. […]
Show full quote

I did a few runs, and sometimes it wont see my second PnP CSN. sometimes it will..

I attached log where it shows;

log1 - 2 csn's, correctly lists awe32+ gus pnp

log2 - 2 csn's, only lists gus pnp

both times it does not show more than one sound card on the perhiperhals screen.

even when it shows two CSN correctly displayed in PNP, the perhiperal screen still shows GUS as sound card but its information is still AWE32 info, and still has 0 bytes ram.

HWLOG.ZIP

Thanks!
The Peripheral screen lists only 1 sound card, it wasn't designed to show more.
Meanwhile I have updated detection of L3 cache for K6-2+. I'm also updating the AWE DRAM size detection, but not sure yet why it doesn't work there..

Reply 68 of 881, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2020-03-20, 07:27:

Thanks. Could you please manually step thru the screens and tell me at which exact item in the ISA screen it locks up? It should be showing an indicator at bottom what it is currently checking...

I wasn't able to get it to lock up through the GUI, but the screen where it loocks up the full run looks like this:

Photo Mar 19, 8 21 19 PM.jpg
Filename
Photo Mar 19, 8 21 19 PM.jpg
File size
241.9 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

One of the times I ran it it did correctly identified the 133mhz speed and L1 cache for the AM5x86

Reply 69 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here a new build (version remains 6.0.2, build date is different): [removed file as there's a newer version available]
Changes:
- Fix hang @ HPLANP above
- Fix wrong identification of Intel 82595 LAN
- Fixed reporting of L3 cache for AMD-K6-2+
- Updated SB AWE DRAM size detection. Not sure if this will work now.

Could you please re-check?

Last edited by Mumak on 2020-03-24, 14:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 70 of 881, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

when it correctly finds 2 CSN's in pnp;
testing the new build, it shows 'Creative Labs Sound Blaster AWE64' in my perhiperals screen but 0 bytes dram.

going to mainboard gives out of memory error, it filles the L3 cache line in and out of memories. this is with 590kb base.
I managed to get 593kb and its working.

when it detects I have 2 CSN's but only displays 1 (the gus pnp);
in perhiperals it shows no sound card at all.
there is definite screwy logic here with multiple sound cards.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 71 of 881, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2020-03-21, 10:17:

Changes:
- Fix hang @ HPLANP above

The scripted report ran successfully without crashing. This is fixed.
AM5x86 L1 Cache was reported correctly on the 5 times that I ran the program. Was only correct intermittently before. I hope this is fixed now too.
The CPU speed was reported between 112mhz and 118mhz , which is not ideal. It was correct intermittently before

p.s. Here's a really bad idea. Rename the program to HdosFO.

Reply 72 of 881, by JazeFox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thak you for this tool!

I itested it in a PCChips / Elpina M919 v3.4 board with an "It's ST 486DX100" CPU, without L2 cache module. The CPU model detected in HWiNFO is a Cyrix with 4Kb L1 cache, but in fact this ST CPU has 8Kb.
And about 70% of the time when I exit the tool, the computer hangs with HDD led lit all the time. Some others, it does not hang at exit time but when I try to access some files or dirs in the HDD later, I see corruptions or hangs.

EDIT: Now I tested with 6.0.2 (Previously I did with 6.0.0) and now the L1 cache size reported vary from execution to execution... sometimes it whows 8Kb, sometimes 4Kb. The CPU is recognized exactly as: "Cyrix FasCache Cx486DX4-v, 100.0 MHz". Other issues remain the same. Oh, and I tried to run it with the full report switch (/R) but the computer hangs in "Peripherals Information" section, and I can see in the left corner a "Divide error" text. Few minutes later, an HDD read error appears, like "Not ready writing drive C".

Thanks.

Reply 73 of 881, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mumak, I have the HWINFO.LOG for you from my Thinkpad 560X:

Edit: oops. This is the wrong one. Give me a minute to fix it.

Fixed.

Attachments

• Filename
    hwinfo.log
    File size
    107.96 KiB
    Downloads
    92 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 74 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JazeFox wrote on 2020-03-21, 15:51:
Thak you for this tool! […]
Show full quote

Thak you for this tool!

I itested it in a PCChips / Elpina M919 v3.4 board with an "It's ST 486DX100" CPU, without L2 cache module. The CPU model detected in HWiNFO is a Cyrix with 4Kb L1 cache, but in fact this ST CPU has 8Kb.
And about 70% of the time when I exit the tool, the computer hangs with HDD led lit all the time. Some others, it does not hang at exit time but when I try to access some files or dirs in the HDD later, I see corruptions or hangs.

EDIT: Now I tested with 6.0.2 (Previously I did with 6.0.0) and now the L1 cache size reported vary from execution to execution... sometimes it whows 8Kb, sometimes 4Kb. The CPU is recognized exactly as: "Cyrix FasCache Cx486DX4-v, 100.0 MHz". Other issues remain the same. Oh, and I tried to run it with the full report switch (/R) but the computer hangs in "Peripherals Information" section, and I can see in the left corner a "Divide error" text. Few minutes later, an HDD read error appears, like "Not ready writing drive C".

Thanks.

Do you maybe know the values of DIR0 and DIR1 for this CPU? I'm not sure if it's possible to tell the ST from Cx..
Regarding the L1/L2 cache detection of older CPUs, this is unfortunately timing-dependant and sometime might not work well.. I will have a look into this sometime later...
Can you please try to manually select the Peripherals screen and take a picture when it crashes?

Reply 75 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks guys for all the feedback.
So here just another build: [removed file as there's a newer version available]
Updates in this build:
- Rewritten and optimized PnP support. The problem seems to be timing, which is difficult to test. So hopefully now it will consistently report all CSNs and reflect this in Peripherals screen too.
- Additional memory optimizations

Last edited by Mumak on 2020-03-24, 14:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 76 of 881, by JazeFox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mumak wrote on 2020-03-21, 17:34:

Do you maybe know the values of DIR0 and DIR1 for this CPU? I'm not sure if it's possible to tell the ST from Cx..

Yes, the Cx ID for this CPU is 1F36h

Can you please try to manually select the Peripherals screen and take a picture when it crashes?

I can not upload files now, anyway...

Selecting the Peripherals screen manually works well. It only hangs there if -r command line argument is used.

I checked that the log file is written (despite the system hang), but it stops after this line is printed:
"Floppy Drive(s): 1.44 MB 3 1/2"

Reply 77 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JazeFox wrote on 2020-03-21, 18:22:
Yes, the Cx ID for this CPU is 1F36h […]
Show full quote
Mumak wrote on 2020-03-21, 17:34:

Yes, the Cx ID for this CPU is 1F36h

I can not upload files now, anyway...

Selecting the Peripherals screen manually works well. It only hangs there if -r command line argument is used.

I checked that the log file is written (despite the system hang), but it stops after this line is printed:
"Floppy Drive(s): 1.44 MB 3 1/2"

Thanks. That DIR0/1 value seems to be standard Cyrix. I don't know of any way how else to tell the ST from Cx, might not be possible at all 🙁
You can send the report file to me via e-mail too, it's shown in the program too.

Reply 78 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here just another build with even more tweaks for PnP devices: [removed file as there's a newer version available]
@BloodyCactus could you please try again whether now both PnP CSNs are always shown?

Last edited by Mumak on 2020-03-24, 14:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 79 of 881, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ran into trouble trying out the version you have in the first post of this thread on my Gateway 486, trying to run it fails with a "Program too big to fit in memory" error. Which doesn't make sense because that 486 has 16MB of RAM and the same disk works on a 386DX with 8MB of RAM.

ETrNDGUXYAAOsxv?format=jpg&name=large