My Big Red Switch 486

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 48, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-03-29, 20:19:

Well, The reason Gravis Sound cards and Media Vision sound cards went out of business was because consumers found it to expensive and found better sound quality and compatibility in the Sound Blaster sound cards which are still around today.
Don't blame me. The consumers made the choice.

Reality is a little different and a lot more complex than you think. GUS and MV went out of business for different (multiple) reasons. Competition from CL was only one small part of it.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 21 of 48, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-03-30, 14:10:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-03-29, 20:19:

Well, The reason Gravis Sound cards and Media Vision sound cards went out of business was because consumers found it to expensive and found better sound quality and compatibility in the Sound Blaster sound cards which are still around today.
Don't blame me. The consumers made the choice.

Reality is a little different and a lot more complex than you think. GUS and MV went out of business for different (multiple) reasons. Competition from CL was only one small part of it.

Yes, I have never owned a GUS but from what I have read they are NOT all that great and tried to piggy back on top of the Sound Blaster 16.
With enhancements and emulation which was not that good. I have a few Media Vision card and they sound good.
I am not knocking any sound card only that it came down to software and game compatibility and audio out put.
In comparable to the standard which was Sound Blaster 16.

All I said was that if you can’t afford or find a GUS today the AWE64 sounds pretty good to me and has good DOS compatibility.
Better than the Sound Blaster 16 if you ask me.

Reply 22 of 48, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, that's a nice build. I have that same exact case, but it houses a generic 286 machine.

Have you run into any problems with the ET4000? I have one of those and it is not the most compatible card. Does it match well speed-wise with the DX4?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 23 of 48, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool. I've only seen the case once aside from mine. It was listed on a local auction site here.

It's a very fast VLB card, so perfect for the CPU. Haven't had many compatibility issues...

The first issue I've ran into is with Crystal Caves - just no luck whatsoever getting a picture. Keen games work fine in SVGA compatibility mode using a CRT; my modern-ish LCD isn't compatible with their output mode, though.

I am always interested to check these bugs and issues out when people point to specific things.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 24 of 48, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
firage wrote on 2020-03-30, 18:39:

Keen games work fine in SVGA compatibility mode using a CRT; my modern-ish LCD isn't compatible with their output mode, though.

Hmmmmmm interesting! The worst compatibility problems I had were with Commander Keen. Jerky motion all around, and neither the "Fix Jerky Motion" or "SVGA Compatibility" settings did anything to fix it. It was hooked up to a generic Dell CRT.

It is not a VLB card though. It's the 16-bit ISA version of the ET4000, and I had it in my PC/AT, not a 486, so maybe that makes a difference.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 25 of 48, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-03-30, 16:17:

All I said was that if you can’t afford or find a GUS today the AWE64 sounds pretty good to me and has good DOS compatibility.
Better than the Sound Blaster 16 if you ask me.

You did say more than that, but it's ok. 😀

The AWE64 is fine as it addresses several of the weaknesses of the SB16. It has it's own limitations, of course, so I would hardly consider it the stone cold nuts. With sound cards, so much depends on what you're intending to use it for.

With the GUS, you've got an interesting design but limited niche application (except in the tracker and demo scene where it's almost obligatory). As a sound card, it's excellent when supported. As a SB compatible, it's generally quite poor.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 27 of 48, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is working with write-back L1 enabled.
Issues with WB L1 are specifically to do with bus-mastering controllers, I believe. Such VLB controllers are more likely to be SCSI.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 28 of 48, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am currently testing an AMD K5-100 CPU build because I found the 486dx4-100 just to inadequate for playing modern DOS games.
By disabling the CPU caches I have been able to slow the K5 down to a 386dx@40mhz.

My goal is to go as slow as a 286@10 mhz which I was able to do with my 486dx4-100 CPU.

here is a link to an LGR video where he compares the performance of a 486 to Pentium in game playing.
https://youtu.be/jISmJG8QK0A

Reply 29 of 48, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So regarding the performance of LGR's build (I'm a big fan, btw) - you really shouldn't look at it as reference level. The Doom demo on the video runs at 28.0 fps (2664 realtics) after the Pentium upgrade. People have actually posted faster results than that with 486DX2-66's.

There are DOS games that run best on something faster, but to me a 100MHz DX4 extends far enough for a pure DOS/Win3.1x machine.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 30 of 48, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, that is a really nice computer. A dream build for some back in 1993/94. It would have cost allot of money back then about $5000.
But still would not have meet your expectations as modern DOS games play better on a Pentium CPU.

That is my primary to have a good computer for playing DOS games as they should be played.
it’s the same story today with 4K video games. Many computers just cant handle it

You can always plug in an intel Pentium over drive cpu
I guess.

I tested the 486dx4-100 computer and find it inadequate for idea dos game play. So i am going to move on to a Pentium cpu
Because best performance dos game play is most important to me.
I want to play the games as the developers would have liked it to be run.

I am starting with a Pentium class cpu and going to see how slow I can go for older cpu critical dos game support.

Reply 31 of 48, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
firage wrote on 2020-03-30, 18:39:

The first issue I've ran into is with Crystal Caves - just no luck whatsoever getting a picture.

Just out of curiosity, would you mind testing the executable I posted here and see if that makes any difference?

Reply 32 of 48, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried it just now and it has no effect, unfortunately. 🙁
Thanks for the effort to fix these games, it's appreciated.

It's the same whether the game's just loaded or jumping around in the game itself, flipping the alternate video mode on and off. Just a black screen and some vertical lines and stripes.

Apogee's Secret Agent, which uses the same graphics engine, has the same display problem as Crystal Caves.

I've now tested a bunch of these games encountering no further issues: Bio Menace, Dangerous Dave 1-2, Catacomb Abyss 3-D, Vinyl Goddess from Mars, Jill of the Jungle, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Duke Nukem 1-2, etc. Dangerous Dave 2 has the same SVGA glitch as Keen, and in its case the compatibility mode is enabled with the "/COMP" command line parameter.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 33 of 48, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great news on this front - K1n9_Duk3 has successfully developed a fix that works for Crystal Caves and Secret Agent! I've been playing all three episodes of both games using the ET4000/W32p today and it all looks fantastic. 😀

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 35 of 48, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to K1n9_Duk3 the part in the games' code that sets the "virtual screen width" has to be patched.

Here's his post: Fix Display Problems in Crystal Caves and Secret Agent

Last edited by firage on 2020-04-09, 05:58. Edited 1 time in total.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 36 of 48, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really like that type of red switch too and that is why I just couple months ago moved my 486 33Mhz system to a case that has a similar switch. My system is similar to your in some other ways too, it has a VLB ET4000/W32P 2Mb video card and is also connected to roland MT-32. It is definitely my favourite retro system and the big red switch case is perfect for it.

redswitch.jpg
Filename
redswitch.jpg
File size
1.54 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 38 of 48, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've tested a mechanical Fireball disk and switched the system to a faster CF card.

The Promise EIDE2300Plus controller is set to "DMA Speed 7" which is MWDMA-1 (13.3 MB/sec). There is a Speed 8 available, but it doesn't change from MWDMA-1 and shows no measurable difference. MWDMA-2 (16.7 MB/sec) is mentioned in various documentation, but the Promise driver doesn't appear to support it.

Quantum Fireball SE 2.1 GB:
kuz8lay.gif
This Ultra ATA/33 generation from 1998 was the last Fireball line-up to include a disk as small as 2.1 GB in capacity. The disk is approaching its expected performance numbers and is actually not greatly held back by the old non-UDMA controller.

Transcend CF220i 8 GB:
nyy48Wf.gif
The new 8 GB Transcend CF22oi is a nice little boost! Improving from the 2 GB CF100i's 10644 kB/sec linear read to 11742 kB/sec now. It's interesting to note that there is a performance difference between the two cards even as they're both severely bottlenecked by the disk controller.

My big-red-switch 486