VOGONS

Common searches

Prince of Persia 3D on Windows 10

Topic actions

First post, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I have my original CD's and I can install the game i can install the patch 1.01 and I even use the unprotected pop3d.exe, but nothing I do can get this game to run on Windows 10. What happens is the game loads to a black screen then drops back to the desktop. i honestly would love to play this again, so i was wondering if anyone here has had any luck getting it to run.

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game" - Guybrush Threepwood

Reply 3 of 61, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a guide that I wrote for myself a few months ago.

TESTED & WORKING ON WINDOWS 10 64 BIT v1909 (GeForce RTX 2060 @ 2560x1440) with some issues, see below.

1. Install Prince of Persia 3D from CD1 2. Extract PoP3D_Unpacked_Patch_v1.01.rar to the installation folder, overwrite all file […]
Show full quote

1. Install Prince of Persia 3D from CD1
2. Extract PoP3D_Unpacked_Patch_v1.01.rar to the installation folder, overwrite all files.
3. Extract the POP3D NOCD.rar patch in the installation dir, overwrite exe file.
4. Extract dgVoodoo to the installation dir and run dgVoodooCpl.exe. Go to the DirectX tab, set forced resolution, max VRAM to 128 MB (don't set it higher, seems to work better with max 128). Hit Apply & OK.
5. Install Riva Tuner. In the RivaTuner configuration, add the game exe and set a frame cap of 60 FPS.
6. Copy options.sav from the pop3d-resolutions.zip (the one from 1920 x 1080 should work fine for 2560 x 1440 too)
6. IMPORTANT: Even with the NO CD patch, CD2 must be inserted in order to play the game! So.... insert it now! 😀
7. Run the game (on the first try it might not work, until Windows 10 first applies the compatibility settings automatically).
8. After the game starts, sometimes the performance can be pretty bad (6 - 7 FPS) and CPU usage (as shown by MSI afterburner with RivaTuner) is very high on one core: 100%.
The workaround for this is to start the game, load the level (don't do this while in the menu) and then hit ALT - TAB.
This will minimize the game and after you maximize it again, CPU usage will have decreased to 30 - 40% and performance will be perfect. If the prince keeps jumping after you return to the game, hit the ALT key a few more times and he will stop 😀 FYI, this issue seems to go away after some time (maybe in some cases it won't even appear in the first place).

NOTE: If you want to see the intro movies, you must install "Quicktime alternative.rar" (located in the "OTHER TOOLS & PATCHES" folder)

SOLUTIONS FOR POTENTIAL ISSUES:
1. In case of problems during startup: first thing to try is disabling DPI scaling (Right click on desktop --> Display settings --> Change the size of text, apps and other items --> 100%. If this is higher than 100%, it can cause many issues with old games!
2. In the second level, when you enter the water there are some graphical issues with dgVoodoo (missing textures, basically you can't see anything while you are submerged in the pool).
The workaround is to use DDrawCompat v0.2.1.zip instead of dgvoodoo (just delete the dgvoodoo files and extract the ddraw.dll in the game dir).
Make sure to disable DPI scaling as specified above (or you can try the settings in DPI_compatibility_settings.jpg) and copy again the options.sav for 1920x1080
(the disadvantage is that the game will not be forced to run at 2560x1440, so with DDrawCompat v0.2.1 the game will run at maximum FullHD, but at least you can get passed the water swimming sequence).
3. If you have issues with missing textures use the Geometry patch.
- Delete the <game dir>/Geometry folder
- Extract the Geometry archive in the game dir.

For further problems, visit website: http://popuw.com/download3.html

I've uploaded all relevant files to my Google drive:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15PJvGmtfs5w … GNJXjb72yIcXD8W

Let me know if it works for you. 😀

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 4 of 61, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I gave it a shot followed your directions to a T and it’s a no go. This seems to,mirror what I’m reading everywhere. Some people can get the game run others can’t. There seems to be no real pattern as to why either. Anyhow probably going to give up trying to run it on 10 for awhile.

Reply 5 of 61, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Strange. Did you try to uninstall it first (and delete all remaining files)? Maybe your earlier tests have caused some other unforeseen issue...
I actually just tried my guide on a second PC with Windows 10, which is quite different from my main rig (fresh install with the latest updates + latest drivers + basic software like Google Chrome) and it works.
However, both PCs have nVidia cards (RTX 2060 on the first / GTX 1070 on the second). Maybe you are using an AMD video card (this might explain the behavior - there could be a dgVoodoo bug on AMD cards)?

Just as an FYI, my main PC:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
RAM: 32 GB
GPU: nVidia RTX 2060
Windows 10 Enterprise

Second PC:
CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: nVidia GTX 1070
Windows 10 Enterprise

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155

Reply 6 of 61, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did a fresh instal. Honestly I’m pretty perplexed by the problem.

CPU: i7-8700k
RAM: 16gb
GPU: Nvida GTX 1080
Windows 10 Pro

Reply 7 of 61, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed, very strange. It should work without too many headaches, your configuration is very similar to mine.
And the behavior is the same, black screen then back to desktop? Is the game still started after that, do you still see it in the process list, is it minimized or simply crashes and exits?
Also, are you sure you've used the exact files/archives from my Google drive, no other changes?

Reply 8 of 61, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah it launches to a black screen and crashes. This was the behavior before I did a clean windows installation as well. I used only your files nothing else.

Reply 9 of 61, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a real mystery. I don't understand what the delta is... maybe the installation location. I installed it in D:\Games, maybe you installed it in the default location?
Did you try running the game as administrator?

Reply 10 of 61, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have tried both the default and non default and have tried admin mode too. It’s a pretty perplexing mystery to me. I honestly wished I had another pic just to see if it’ll run.

Reply 11 of 61, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Too bad. 🙁 The only thing left is some other device / driver that is probably misbehaving. For example, in my case, I'm using the onboard sound card (Realtek High definition Audio on both systems).
Another thing worth investigating is the logs inside the POP3D directory. Maybe one of them will provide more information about what the exact error is.

Reply 12 of 61, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Presbytier wrote on 2020-04-10, 05:15:

So I have my original CD's and I can install the game i can install the patch 1.01 and I even use the unprotected pop3d.exe, but nothing I do can get this game to run on Windows 10. What happens is the game loads to a black screen then drops back to the desktop. i honestly would love to play this again, so i was wondering if anyone here has had any luck getting it to run.

What I did is, install the game, update to the latest version using the unpacked update(the setup update doesn't work, it installs update in WINDOWS folder) and use a no-cd file. Then drop dgVoodoo 3Dfx .dll files and configure the software to use 3Dfx Voodoo2 and it ran.

SINCE YOU GOT A BLACK SCREEN, It might have had happened because you didn't use dgVoodoo or nglide. They will most probably fix the black screen issue.

Can you submit me that .exe file, I kinda lost the one I used?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 13 of 61, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-04-20, 19:59:
What I did is, install the game, update to the latest version using the unpacked update(the setup update doesn't work, it instal […]
Show full quote

What I did is, install the game, update to the latest version using the unpacked update(the setup update doesn't work, it installs update in WINDOWS folder) and use a no-cd file. Then drop dgVoodoo 3Dfx .dll files and configure the software to use 3Dfx Voodoo2 and it ran.

SINCE YOU GOT A BLACK SCREEN, It might have had happened because you didn't use dgVoodoo or nglide. They will most probably fix the black screen issue.

SO I reinstalled drop the patch then dropped nglide into the folder. I can get to the main menu of the game but it crashes after the video plays on new game. I do not see a way to configure the game to use nglide??? Is there an option in an ini?

PS Which file do you want? The Cracked EXE?

Reply 14 of 61, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Presbytier wrote on 2020-05-02, 04:03:
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-04-20, 19:59:
What I did is, install the game, update to the latest version using the unpacked update(the setup update doesn't work, it instal […]
Show full quote

SO I reinstalled drop the patch then dropped nglide into the folder. I can get to the main menu of the game but it crashes after the video plays on new game. I do not see a way to configure the game to use nglide??? Is there an option in an ini?

PS Which file do you want? The Cracked EXE?

I need the cracked exe.

Don't drop nglide into the folder.Either drop the glide,glide2x files of nglide from the Windows directory to the game or just install the nglide and configure it as you want.If it still crashes,try dgVoodoo.

Reply 15 of 61, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah nothing seems to work to get it to run and it just crashes with dgvoodoo. To be honest I don’t even think it is usesimg nGlide either as even if I just leave all 3 glide.dll in the folder I never get the splash screen which I turn on for testing. I got the crack from here https://popuw.com/download3.html

Reply 16 of 61, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Presbytier wrote on 2020-05-02, 13:11:

Yeah nothing seems to work to get it to run and it just crashes with dgvoodoo. To be honest I don’t even think it is usesimg nGlide either as even if I just leave all 3 glide.dll in the folder I never get the splash screen which I turn on for testing. I got the crack from here https://popuw.com/download3.html

The mistake was, POP3D doesnt use Glide. It uses DirectX as the game has worked fine on extracting the files from MS/x86 folder of dgVoodoo.

Reply 18 of 61, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-03, 13:01:

Can't even get the installer to run on Windows 10(64bit) When i tried. So you're doing well 😁

How you couldn't get it to. Run. Did you use any disk mounting softwares? The setup is 32 bit so there shouldnt be any problem.
Btw which build you used. I used 1909 64 bit pro

Reply 19 of 61, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-03, 15:11:

How you couldn't get it to. Run. Did you use any disk mounting softwares? The setup is 32 bit so there shouldnt be any problem.
Btw which build you used. I used 1909 64 bit pro

Same 1909 Pro 64bit, using retail CDs, installer / setup just doesn't start, will look into it more after work, not trying to hijack thread.