VOGONS

First post, by dosfriend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Is there any Wireless DB-15 gamepad out there?
Would be great to have a Bluetooth Wireless receiver to DB-15 gameoport and use any Bluetooth compatible gamepad.

There are 8bitdo SNES receivers, maybe they would work with a SNES controller to DB-15 adapter (if that exists).

Reply 1 of 6, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That would be cool but I'm not sure the demand is there for it really, It's possible to do just not very practical. There may have been some IR gamepads back in the day that used gameport, don't know of any off hand.

Reply 2 of 6, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No idea if it would work, but I know there are adapters (and software) that allows to connect an SNES/Sega Genesis/NES gamepad to the parallel port of a PC. You can google for the schematics of the adapter, it's just a few diodes and some cable. If the 8-bit do BT gamepad really behaves as a genuine SNES gamepad, then it might be compatible with those adapters.

Reply 3 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thrustmaster made a wireless gamepad many moons ago. But it was USB and was as glitchy as glitchy could be.

It should be possibly to make a BT adapter, but it would require some sort of Arduino or Rasberry Pi go-between to handle the different gamepads and you would probably have to write a driver for whatever go-between OS was used.

And if you want to use said adapter in DOS, you would have to have the output signal be analog.

Unless you are planning on making these for production or even as an open-source project I don't see it being a worthwhile project.

See here for a discussion about converting console gamepads to PC DB15:
Console Controllers to 15-pin Game Port?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 6, by dosfriend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The idea was using Game Port so you could use it in DOS, W95/98, etc without needing a specific driver.

So I think the best would be to use one of those 8bitdo SNES receivers, because they already allow pairing to (according to their website):

8BitDo controllers and arcade sticks (excluding 2.4G controllers)
Xbox Bluetooth® controller, DualShock 3, DualShock 4, DualShock 4 Pro
Wiimote, Wii U Pro, Switch Joy-Cons, Switch Pro

Thats a lot of supported control pads with just one receiver.

Would be great to find some info about an arduino SNES to Game Port. Currently I don't know anything about SNES controller output signals or DB15 input signals.

Reply 5 of 6, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dosfriend wrote on 2020-05-02, 10:41:

Would be great to find some info about an arduino SNES to Game Port. Currently I don't know anything about SNES controller output signals or DB15 input signals.

I'm currently poking around with some arduinos and waiting on a teensy board for DB15 gameport pads to usb (sidewinder specifically) but also looking at other pads too so why not throw SNES / whatever else into the mix

DOS will be limited to the inputs though unless keyboard input is used (some old flight sticks used keyboard input passthrough for extra buttons etc) as afaik DOS gamepad support is limited to 4 buttons 2 axis .

I'm new to messing with arduinos though so who knows if anything will come of it.