VOGONS

HWiNFO for DOS resurrected !

Topic actions

Reply 442 of 881, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Attached are the reports for my Gateway 2000 system - 1 GHz Orion slot A.

It says my Matrox G400 max is running at AGP 1x. Is this correct? The G400 runs at 2x or 4x. I wonder if the Gateway BIOS is reducing the rate for some reason?

Where do I view the UDMA transfer rate that the ATAPI DVD-ROM drive is using?

Attachments

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 443 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote on 2020-05-07, 11:50:

Attached are the reports for my Gateway 2000 system - 1 GHz Orion slot A.

It says my Matrox G400 max is running at AGP 1x. Is this correct? The G400 runs at 2x or 4x. I wonder if the Gateway BIOS is reducing the rate for some reason?

Where do I view the UDMA transfer rate that the ATAPI DVD-ROM drive is using?

Please run the attached tool and send me the files it produces. I will then check if the AGP rate reported is correct.

Filename
GETPCI.EXE
File size
7.84 KiB
Downloads
55 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 444 of 881, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Attached.

Attachments

• Filename
    Athlon1G-GETPCI.zip
    File size
    1.57 KiB
    Downloads
    53 downloads
    File license

Reply 445 of 881, by hasat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mumak wrote on 2020-05-06, 09:47:
hasat wrote on 2020-05-06, 09:38:
Mumak wrote on 2020-04-29, 14:47:

That looks more like the KBC check is the problem here. But also wondering why the FDC37C663 wasn't detected, in the build above I added detection per its datasheet.

Hi Martin,
I am sorry for late answer, 30.4. you sent me PM about better detection LAN adapter and SIO in my HP Vectra. I can't sent you PM, because i am newly registered user here. If it is still actual, yes you can send me new version of HWINFO with improvements in detection and i test it for you.

Yes, I'm still interested. Please use the version attached here: Re: HWiNFO support of vintage hardware

New testing on my HP Vectra. HWINFO still freeze on peripherals screen. With EMM386 error "Fatal error, cannot continue" appears and the computer hangs, wthout EMM386 no error, but still computer hangs with some garbage text in lower right corner. In archive are attached log and dbg files and also screenshot when computer hangs in both cases.

Attachments

• Filename
    hwinfo log.zip
    File size
    952.77 KiB
    Downloads
    48 downloads
    File license

Reply 447 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hasat wrote on 2020-05-08, 11:06:
Mumak wrote on 2020-05-06, 09:47:
hasat wrote on 2020-05-06, 09:38:

Hi Martin,
I am sorry for late answer, 30.4. you sent me PM about better detection LAN adapter and SIO in my HP Vectra. I can't sent you PM, because i am newly registered user here. If it is still actual, yes you can send me new version of HWINFO with improvements in detection and i test it for you.

Yes, I'm still interested. Please use the version attached here: Re: HWiNFO support of vintage hardware

New testing on my HP Vectra. HWINFO still freeze on peripherals screen. With EMM386 error "Fatal error, cannot continue" appears and the computer hangs, wthout EMM386 no error, but still computer hangs with some garbage text in lower right corner. In archive are attached log and dbg files and also screenshot when computer hangs in both cases.

Thanks. Yet again nothing works as described in the datasheet. The AMD PCnet should return 10h as HardwareID, but it's 0 here. The SIO should return an ID, but it doesn't.. Oh, well...

Reply 448 of 881, by hasat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Like someone here said: how older and easier device is, more work with it is. Thank you for your work. I think it's time to move to next retro hardware. Now i start playing with a little bit newer hardware (socket 7) and here HWINFO running without computer hangs. I found two errors: incorrectly detected graphic card (integrated in SiS 5598 chipset) and some weird text in VBE 2.0 revision string. It's not visible in complete report, but only in report created in video section of HWINFO (F2 key). Reports attached.

But if you want make some research on problems on my HP Vectra, i'm ready.

Attachments

• Filename
    SP97-V.ZIP
    File size
    14.68 KiB
    Downloads
    50 downloads
    File license

Reply 449 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hasat wrote on 2020-05-08, 16:31:

Like someone here said: how older and easier device is, more work with it is. Thank you for your work. I think it's time to move to next retro hardware. Now i start playing with a little bit newer hardware (socket 7) and here HWINFO running without computer hangs. I found two errors: incorrectly detected graphic card (integrated in SiS 5598 chipset) and some weird text in VBE 2.0 revision string. It's not visible in complete report, but only in report created in video section of HWINFO (F2 key). Reports attached.

Thanks. Here a new build attached.
This should recognize the graphics adapter as SiS 86C201 and hopefully fix the other bug too.
Would be great if you could run it on the HP Vectra too. It will most probably work same as before (no need to make tests with and w/o EMM) , but I've added more information into the DBG file that could tell me how to fix the SIO hang.
[build pulled, newer available]

Last edited by Mumak on 2020-05-20, 08:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 450 of 881, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mumak wrote on 2020-05-08, 11:08:
feipoa wrote on 2020-05-08, 09:30:

Attached.

So it's as HWiNFO says - the Matrox supports both AGP 1X and 2X, but it's currently running in 1X mode only.

Odd. Do some motherboards leave the AGP set at 1x in DOS then switch to 2x in Windows, or perhaps switch to 2x when 3D acceleration is used?

Reply 451 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote on 2020-05-09, 02:18:
Mumak wrote on 2020-05-08, 11:08:
feipoa wrote on 2020-05-08, 09:30:

Attached.

So it's as HWiNFO says - the Matrox supports both AGP 1X and 2X, but it's currently running in 1X mode only.

Odd. Do some motherboards leave the AGP set at 1x in DOS then switch to 2x in Windows, or perhaps switch to 2x when 3D acceleration is used?

Quite unlikely that the BIOS would treat this different. But you can always check what mode is active in Windows using HWiNFO32 😉

Reply 452 of 881, by hasat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mumak wrote on 2020-05-08, 18:06:
Thanks. Here a new build attached. This should recognize the graphics adapter as SiS 86C201 and hopefully fix the other bug too. […]
Show full quote

This should recognize the graphics adapter as SiS 86C201 and hopefully fix the other bug too.
Would be great if you could run it on the HP Vectra too. It will most probably work same as before (no need to make tests with and w/o EMM) , but I've added more information into the DBG file that could tell me how to fix the SIO hang.
HWINF610.ZIP

Here is new test on ASUS SP97-V motherboard with integrated video card in SiS chipset: name is OK, but reported video memory is wrong - HWINFO still reporting 2048 kB memory regardless of what is set in BIOS (1 MB, 2 MB or 4 MB).
VBE2 revision string is also still wrong: i discovered new thing, text in this field is changing depending on what is loaded in memory (for example i run HWINFO from DOS prompt and from Volkov Commander). Two examples are in video.log file. Very interesting bug! 😁

Attachments

• Filename
    SP97-v_2.zip
    File size
    14.79 KiB
    Downloads
    49 downloads
    File license

Reply 453 of 881, by Laaca

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice to see the project resurrected. I tried it on my Lenovo Legion notebook under FreeDOS. It is a little bit unstable but in minimal setup with HIMEMX only loaded it works.
But I am disappointed that it can't properly detect my 16GB of RAM. It reports only 2GB. I understand that such new machines aren't the main targets for HWINFO but such basic functionality should work, IMO.
And also is a pity that my harddisk (M2/PCI espress) is not detected. I know, HWINFO searchs directly the hardware and does not ask the BIOS but anyway, this is also kind of basic functionality and it should appear somewhere.
For example, I added a screenshot from Necromancer's DOS Navigator. It is not a hardware detection program but filemanager however both mentioned topics does better than HWINFO does.

Attachments

• Fotografie0364.jpg
    Filename
    Fotografie0364.jpg
    File size
    934.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Fotografie0367.jpg
    Filename
    Fotografie0367.jpg
    File size
    1.1 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 454 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hasat wrote on 2020-05-09, 13:14:
Mumak wrote on 2020-05-08, 18:06:
Thanks. Here a new build attached. This should recognize the graphics adapter as SiS 86C201 and hopefully fix the other bug too. […]
Show full quote

HWINF610.ZIP

Here is new test on ASUS SP97-V motherboard with integrated video card in SiS chipset: name is OK, but reported video memory is wrong - HWINFO still reporting 2048 kB memory regardless of what is set in BIOS (1 MB, 2 MB or 4 MB).
VBE2 revision string is also still wrong: i discovered new thing, text in this field is changing depending on what is loaded in memory (for example i run HWINFO from DOS prompt and from Volkov Commander). Two examples are in video.log file. Very interesting bug! 😁

Thanks. I've got an update for the VBE revision issue, but don't know how else to report the shared video memory size. Will post once you provide new data for the HP Vectra.

Reply 455 of 881, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

See photo for error.

Gateway2000_Kadoka_1Ghz_Orion_with_ATI_8500DV.jpg
Filename
File size
284.1 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 456 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote on 2020-05-10, 12:16:

See photo for error.

It might be because AGP mode is currently disabled, so it falls back to PCI.
I'd need to see files generated by GETPCI.EXE

Reply 458 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hasat wrote on 2020-05-10, 13:17:

New test from HP Vectra.

Thanks. That's weird as HWiNFO tests for the FDC37C663 SIO exactly per the datasheet, but it doesn't return the expected ID..
I will post a new build with some improvements for the VBE and also add reporting of AGP rate supported later today.

Reply 459 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here the new build. I don't know how to solve the SIO crash on HP Vectra as it's not behaving according to datasheet.
[build pulled, newer available]

Last edited by Mumak on 2020-05-20, 08:28. Edited 1 time in total.