VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Has anyone been successful in running The NFSSE for Windows past Win Vista. I have tried it out on Win10,8.1,7 and to no avail. I was able to get it working on XP through a patch that I found on this forum. Does anybody has any ideas why it no longer works on these OSes? I tried out multiple DPLAY, DDraw,D3Dim but to no avail. There is always FTH error in crash

For a fix go Re: The Need for Speed Special Edition for Windows doesn't work
or watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YREBOkwAk1s.
A problem is mentioned here: Re: The Need for Speed Special Edition for Windows "DOES WORK"

Last edited by BEEN_Nath_58 on 2020-09-18, 17:53. Edited 5 times in total.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 77, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-10, 10:30:

Has anyone been successful in running The NFSSE for Windows past Win Vista. I have tried it out on Win10,8.1,7 and to no avail. I was able to get it working on XP through a patch that I found on this forum. Does anybody has any ideas why it no longer works on these OSes? I tried out multiple DPLAY, DDraw,D3Dim but to no avail. There is always FTH error in crash

have you tried this patch

https://verokster.blogspot.com/2019/11/need-f … tion-patch.html
?

Reply 2 of 77, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
willow wrote on 2020-05-10, 14:53:

"The Need for speed II SE" is not same as "The Need for speed SE"

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter

Reply 3 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
have you tried this patch […]
Show full quote

?

I was talking about the first game of the series

Reply 4 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MAZter wrote on 2020-05-10, 15:19:

"The Need for speed II SE" is not same as "The Need for speed SE"

I tried out the game on Win XP and the game would crash on most situations.but if i hold my enter button for some seconds, it will keep crashing and once it will start and it will play. And if you set desktop resolution to 800x600 there, the game will start instantly.

Win 10 is different, resolution at 800x600 doesn't change anything and holding enter button you get some error msg at best which says"Primary Create Surface Failed [100]" .That seems a DX issue. Besides that the game setup doesn't even run

Reply 5 of 77, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It crashes because devs tried to be smart with multi-threading, but failed to synchronize them properly. That's the first issue I see, there ought to be many more considering it's an old EA game and slightly newer NFS games are also bugged to oblivion without unofficial patches.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 7 of 77, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah, it was very buggy and unstable on winXP and required all kinds of compatibility patches to get going, so I was quite surprised when I tried it on win98 pc and even there it had some issues and I had to disable video and audio hardware acceleration to make it work and even then it wouldnt reliably work every time. I guess this game is really meant for a very old win95-era pc. DOS ver works just about fine in DOSBox, yes. Unless you want to use force feedback. That also seems to only work on first-gen FFB devices such as the microsoft sidewinder ffb wheel. Sigh...

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 8 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-10, 19:55:

NFS:SE windows version is a directx 2 game and even on some 98 era hardware won't run, Honestly I'd just run the DOS version if need be via DOSBox.

I was just wondering about thje jcu.exe that configures the joystick configuration. It is a DOS file and Windows is probably failing there. Because on launching the game on XP, that file starts first then you go to the main game. 32 bit windows dont have proper windows fullscreen support and 64 bit versions dont have DOS.

It may work if the jcu.exe starts someway, like it did on old Windows. I need to start 32 bit and DOS app at the same time. Is there any way to remake the NTVDM from Windows XP in the latest version of windows. If it doesnt work for 10, I have option to try at 7 and 8.1 too

Reply 10 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2020-05-12, 15:38:

Is there any reason to bother with this port (outside of force feedback I guess?)?

I was interested in trying out DirectX 2 .Couldn t install MechWarrior 2 and so this was the only other game I had. I am interster in checking DX compatibility.

Reply 11 of 77, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-10, 17:59:
have you tried this patch […]
Show full quote

?

I was talking about the first game of the series

Sorry

Reply 12 of 77, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Someone was apparently lucky getting it running on his Windows 7 x64 machine (source: DxWnd's NFS:SE profile notes).

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 13 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
UCyborg wrote on 2020-05-12, 18:04:

Someone was apparently lucky getting it running on his Windows 7 x64 machine (source: DxWnd's NFS:SE profile notes).

This post was actually helpful.
I tried what they followed for over 6 hrs and I couldnt run it. Maybe I shall try it on Win7 64 tomorrow and get better results. I found that on using the fps viewer the game freezes on a black screen and wouldnt crash.

Reply 15 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well it worked for me on Win 10. How I achieved it:

Install NFSSE in C: directory of your main PC through DOSBox, that is files are located in C:\NFSSE

The dosbox code will be
mount c c:\

CD is mounted in the same drive as DOSBox.
My code was
mount L L:\-t cdrom(Substite L with the drive later where your cd is inserted in both mount and partition letter)

Use the same drive letter as in your PC to mount it in DOSBox(THIS WAS MY MISTAKE, I WENT TO EDIT PATHS.CFG)

Copy NFS WIN exe and Iforce dll and paste in nfsse directory. Rename NFS Win to nfs. Exe

Edit nfs.cfg and change the file starting which is usuallg SB16 in dosbox and change it to YESSOUND.

Use these compatibility fixes
EmulateCDFS
EmulateJoystick
IgnoreException
IgnoreScheduler
RemoveReadOnlyAttribute

copy dplay.dll from redist folder of game cd in case the dplay.dll from syswow64 gives ordinal error.

Run dxwnd and import the settings
https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/ge … 0Speed%20SE.dxw

Change your game exe location dxwnd.

After you open the game, you may get some error relating to dserial like dpwsock and dpserial cant be loaded. Click ok on both cases. Your game will work

If you are in full screen mode and gane freezes on black screen, click windoes button and click ok on both msgs and get in the game from taskbar.

I hope this works for you. After 5 years I finally did this

You might also get errors relating to RGB. If that happens, click ok and retry to start the game until it doesn't shoe this msg and you get the. Dpwsock or dpserial msg.

This should work on all other OS

Last edited by BEEN_Nath_58 on 2021-11-06, 05:54. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 16 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here are some pictures :
download/file.php?mode=view&id=83004
download/file.php?mode=view&id=83002
download/file.php?mode=view&id=83001

Attachments

Reply 18 of 77, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, there's no guarantee that this procedure will work.

Reply 19 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
UCyborg wrote on 2020-05-15, 18:57:

Yeah, there's no guarantee that this procedure will work.

The DSerial error can be ignored by clicking OK. However the game may not run for some GPU incompatibility, as the DxWnd log shows after initialising DDraw. However the same drivers worked for me.

My secondary PC with any OS ran the game without problems.
My first PC with WIndows 7,8.1 ran it but Win 10 didnt. However I will try a reinstall after MS releases 20H1.

So there is some AMD bug as this happens on AMD cpu. I think it is also a problem of buggy old AMD CPU extensions on Ryzen.