VOGONS

Bruninho's Virtual Machines (Windows, Linux, Mac)

Topic actions

First post, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am jut repurposing this thread to talk about my VMs, I hope this one is gonna be fun.

I'll soon rewrite the post again to describe all my VMs and what I've done to them so far. Some may live, some may die. But only Windows 3.11 will live forever. *evil laugh*

The current machines: Win 3.11, Win XP Pro (+ Inexperience Patcher) and Windows 10 Professional. All of them on VMware, and atm only Win 3.11 is in several (VMware, DOSBox, UTM) virtualization/emulator softwares.

My next steps should be elementaryOS and OS X Snow Leopard, I have the original discs, yay.

------- Original 1st post -------

I have managed to build a Win2k VM under Qemu, but using the UTM app for iOS (a Qemu wrapper).

I currently have only one issue: An unknown device is listed under device manager. System Information reports ACPI\QEMU0002 and ACPI\PNP0103 as unknown devices. Since I do not know which devices they are - I cannot identify them - therefore I cannot find drivers for these. Anyone know how can I fix this? They seem to be related to ACPI.

ACPI is defined as ACPI Multiprocessor PC, but if I switch to Standard PC or something else, I lose the USB.

Last edited by Bruninho on 2020-06-03, 05:44. Edited 4 times in total.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 1 of 242, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For QEMU0002 you can try the guest drivers, unknown if they work in Windows 2000: https://github.com/virtio-win/kvm-guest-drive … indows/releases
For PNP0103 that's HPET and isn't supported in Windows 2000. Should be disabled in the BIOS if can't be used.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2020-03-23, 22:00:

For QEMU0002 you can try the guest drivers, unknown if they work in Windows 2000: https://github.com/virtio-win/kvm-guest-drive … indows/releases
For PNP0103 that's HPET and isn't supported in Windows 2000. Should be disabled in the BIOS if can't be used.

I somehow fixed the issue turning off the ACPI on Device Manager. The unknown device disappeared - I just switched from ACPI Multiprocessor PC to Standard PC. All OK now, and proceeding to updates & installing kernel extender, apps....

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 3 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Something probably wasn't properly installed in my Win2k QEMU. I cannot update the Windows Update Agent with the WUA installer (reports unrecoverable error and complains about the lack of MSVCRT90.dll) and I cannot install last supported WinZip version too.

While on VMWare I  can still access Windows Update and run WinZip.

I've lost almost two days trying to debug the problem.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 4 of 242, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you've already installed the Blackwingcat software there is no reason to use Windows Update since you should have updated Windows before that.
Use 7-Zip.

Reply 5 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just added riched20.dll and msvcr90.dll from another win2k install I had working, and installed net framework 2.0 & vc++ 2008. Then I could install WUA 3.0 and access the windows update. Hooray. I will update and then try again WinZip. I have WinZip working in another Win2k install. I just have to remember what the hell I did to manage this.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 7 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yup. After I proceeded to update everything and install a great browser, turns out that Youtube is damn, damn slow. The browser is even slower under QEMU. I threw it straight to the bin, and decided to stick with the only Win2k VM I have perfectly working here - The VMWare Fusion one. A lost weekend, but oh well. That's how the things are.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 8 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Reinstalled UTM app on my iPad, and instead of Windows 2000 (laggy), I used a copy of my Windows 3.11 VMware machine. Remember, UTM is a QEMU wrapper for iOS.

Imagine my happiness and surprise when I saw that it worked and I can connect to google.com with IE5.0 and use mIRC (even joined #VOGONS channel) all from my iPad Pro. Previously, I needed to use an script with a rPi3 in the middle to have internet connection (and that with a DOSBox iOS wrapper, named DOSPad/iDOS2, from litchie).

Well, turns out I do not need anymore, as this QEMU variant on iOS does it well. I’m quite surprised. UTM is still far from ready (its still beta) but for things like this, its reliable.

I wonder if it can run well on Windows 98. Probably not, since Win 2k was quite laggy.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 10 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote on 2020-04-01, 07:07:

didn't know we have a #vogons irc channel 😉
unless you mean the efnet one 😉

i think its on ircslashdot.org, since stiletto is there (probably a bot, since he does not reply, hahaha)

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 11 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm now with a strange problem, one of my games... "where in the world is carmen sandiego?" the colored one, with better graphics.

th?id=OIP.j8DT2yYvW0FcJoKkZ4KvWgHaEp&pid=Api&rs=1

Works on DOSBox and the UTM machine, but now it does not work anymore for some reason on my VMWare machine? It crashes the VM when it gets to the ACME machine greeting me (before it even asks for my detective name). I dont know why since I havent changed the VM settings.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 12 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just had a nightmare last 24h attempting to free more ram for MicroProse's F1 Grand Prix (1991), after several errors and incredible mistakes from my part (I can't even describe them since I am ashamed of them) I managed to make my VM run the game. Now there's only the Carmen Sandiego's game to fix - I dont know why it crashes on me when using the VMware and Qemu versions, but when using the DOSBox version it runs... freaking strange!

Now that the F1GP game runs on VMware version, let's copy some settings to the Qemu version on my iPad Pro.

Also, another difference is that I can run Windows 3.x in enhanced 386 mode with DOSBox, but not VMWare and Qemu.... I dont know why!

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 13 of 242, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Virtualization is bad for compatibility but good for speed. Also it helps that DOSBox development is focused on games whereas Vmware and Qemu are not.

Reply 14 of 242, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bruninho wrote on 2020-04-01, 08:40:

i think its on ircslashdot.org, since stiletto is there (probably a bot, since he does not reply, hahaha)

I'd forgotten there was an EFNet channel. [EDIT] apparently there wasn't until today? I'm confused now...

Not a bot! But for a while there I was on an opposite schedule to the others in Europe who had been popping in.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 15 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apparently carmen sandiego's game has an issue with the sound. The log from vmware fusion has some lines about the sound before the VM gets shut down when running the game. Strange. Well, theres a VMWare Fusion update apparently, lets see...

EDIT: For now I just keep an older version of the game (the first black-and-white graphics version...) running, that's enough. It's almost pretty much the same gameplay anyway, minus the dossiers for each villain. I can play the newer version on other VMs.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 16 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote on 2020-04-02, 00:58:
Bruninho wrote on 2020-04-01, 08:40:

I'd forgotten there was an EFNet channel. [EDIT] apparently there wasn't until today? I'm confused now...

Not a bot! But for a while there I was on an opposite schedule to the others in Europe who had been popping in.

I just came back to see. Yup, there is on slashdot server.

The VM on UTM/iPad Pro is rocking. Definitely a lot more stable than DOSPad/iDOS 2 and has networking. I feel tempted to do a Windows 98 VM now, even without a proper browser for that (well, Retrozilla/Netscape 9 is almost right for the job).

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 17 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am currently tweaking my autoexec and config files. Anyone know how can I set it up to accept some brazilian portuguese accentuation when using the editor or command prompt, with an US international keyboard? It’s MSDOS 6.22, english language, and I want to keep it in english but accepting some brazilian portuguese accentuation...

While on Windows 3.11 it works as intended. English language, I can type brazilian portuguese on Notepad...

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 18 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just customized Win XP Pro to look like Win 98/2000. Looking absolutely great so far, like the real thing. The 98/2000 classic UI and the NT 5.1 under the hood. What do ya think?

Next is to get SeaMonkey 2.49.5 and skin it to look like Netscape 4.x, and why SeaMonkey? Because it's theme is almost a direct nephew of the old Netscape Communicator, and SM is a modern browser with modern capabilities. It's cheating, for sure, but having something similar to Netscape while being able to browse modern web is a great thing.

But before, anyone know how can I modify the blue bar on my start menu? The inexperience patcher did a great job, but the quality of the image there is kinda...poor. I need to make my own version. I will get the one from my Windows 2000 VM, edit to show "2002" and put it in place. I think I need to use Resource Hacker, but how and which version?

Attachments

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 19 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tonight I just added a bunch of games to my Win 98 VM. All of them are running well, only FIFA 98/99 are having a problem to improve the resolution - I am locked into a 640x480 resolution. FIFA 98 can run in a higher resolution, but when I do that, the menus are all black and I have to guess where the buttons are. Once I managed to get into a friendly game, I could see the game and play in widescreen! Not the ideal, the menus need to work too. I wish I could do the same for FIFA 99. I have the same problem if I try with Win2k.

Grand Prix 3 optimal settings are 1024x768 and I cannot complain. The game is not widescreen. The positive note is I have the highest FPS possible and the lowest PO, so the game is lightning fast. I updated the game a bit with a 1998 mod so it looks better now.

CM3 and CM0001 refuse to run in windowed mode, I have to run full screen with 1024x768 too. Flight Simulator 98 is the opposite; only runs well Windowed. GPM2 I have to lower the graphics color depth every time I want to play it. NFS2 runs well too - it just CTD sometimes. (Ahhh, old Windows... how I missed that).

SimTower, my #1 favorite game, is perfectly playable. There you go, this is my Win 98 machine:

Attachments

JOBS, Steve.