VOGONS

Reply 15420 of 27483, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-05-20, 14:36:

As for sound card spreadsheets.. How about a you show me yours I show you mine kind of thing? Because you know, everyone likes a.. list measuring contest, no?

That sounds like fun. I will need to complete mine first. Will probably be about 120-130 cards in total.

Reply 15421 of 27483, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroLizard wrote on 2020-05-20, 13:32:
brostenen wrote on 2020-05-20, 07:49:

For people asking what model it is. Then it is an Dell 2001fp from Feb. 2004. Models of this monitor, made after the middle of 2005 (june or july) are not working with 15khz input.

I have a Dell 2000FP, and it has all four types of input options: VGA(D-Sub) , DVI, S-video, and Composite. Really nice monitor to have, especially for older consoles with Composite video output.

Yup. Same with the 2001 model that I have. I do not know much about the 2000 model though, and I do not believe that it is 15khz compatible. These old dell are just wonderfull monitors.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 15422 of 27483, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote on 2020-05-20, 10:45:

+1, I just recently picked up an Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro 16 and it is an awesome card.

Also have the exact card (NIB) and it's the best card in the world. I have that one in my Packard Bell and the NX Pro (non-16) is in my other 486 with a Sound Blaster 16 CT2230 since drivers for Windows 95 aren't listed for the NX Pro (non-16).

Today, I installed the PIII-S 1.4/512K/1.45V Tualatin in my Socket 370 build that has a Shuttle AV18V31 (AV18E2) board with a VIA Apollo Pro133T northbridge to see if it works and it does. Up next would be installing my AWE64 Gold in the computer for DOS games.

20200520_130537.jpg
Filename
20200520_130537.jpg
File size
1.87 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 15423 of 27483, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-05-20, 17:20:
Also have the exact card (NIB) and it's the best card in the world. I have that one in my Packard Bell and the NX Pro (non-16) i […]
Show full quote
wiretap wrote on 2020-05-20, 10:45:

+1, I just recently picked up an Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro 16 and it is an awesome card.

Also have the exact card (NIB) and it's the best card in the world. I have that one in my Packard Bell and the NX Pro (non-16) is in my other 486 with a Sound Blaster 16 CT2230 since drivers for Windows 95 aren't listed for the NX Pro (non-16).

Today, I installed the PIII-S 1.4/512K/1.45V Tualatin in my Socket 370 build that has a Shuttle AV18V31 (AV18E2) board with a VIA Apollo Pro133T northbridge to see if it works and it does. Up next would be installing my AWE64 Gold in the computer for DOS games.

20200520_130537.jpg

I have this one:
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-mult … EREO-PRO-E.html
And it works great under windows 95 with the soundblaster pro driver included with windows.
Also received the manual with it. About 1cm thick! Any interest in me scanning it in or is it done already?

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 15424 of 27483, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did some more work on the GX400, fixed the shipping damage enough to make the side panel locking mechanism work again and installed Windows 2000 and the basic drivers.

EYf52LfX0AAI1tV?format=jpg&name=large

EYf525gWAAcTxvq?format=jpg&name=large

Reply 15425 of 27483, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Few days ago now, but built a sleeper system using parts I had from when they were brand new... Fun playing with this stuff again...

download/file.php?mode=view&id=83666

download/file.php?mode=view&id=83665

Attachments

Reply 15426 of 27483, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-05-20, 23:54:

Did some more work on the GX400, fixed the shipping damage enough to make the side panel locking mechanism work again and installed Windows 2000 and the basic drivers.

Are you going for a vanilla install or installing BlackWingCat?

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 15427 of 27483, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-05-21, 00:41:

You mean KernelEx? Yeah, I always install that.

Reply 15428 of 27483, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-05-21, 01:03:

Yeah, the kernelex from BWC. It does improve Windows 2000 to an useable daily driver machine IMO, if you use SeaMonkey 2.49.5 for browsing. Anything below Windows 2000 I've decided to go vanilla. The current state of KernelEx for Windows 98/ME is actually too much buggy and not practical.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 15429 of 27483, by Randomnesses

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Spent a while the last week or so trying to fix up a couple of my old machines...

Met with a lot of frustration along the way, as for various reasons, I've had a bunch of my collection of old machines in storage for a while. They've been stored indoor, but some have been sitting for ~10 years, and several were hardware I picked up for free from work or other places that were tossing them. At that time, I wasn't thinking about how long they'd sit, or that I should have thought about removing CMOs batteries or other things. Luckily, the leaky battery issue has only been an issue on one board so far, most of the other issues have been probably what is considered normal old age hardware failure, like what I'm assuming are capacitors dying and floppy drives being cranky, and old HDDs dying, etc.

Needless to say, they basically all went into storage in working condition, and like 70% are coming out with one issue or another.

Three main things I've been working on the last couple weeks. I have a Tandy 1000SL, a Commodore PC10-III, and a generic 486 40MHz computer. The Tandy is currently on hold, as there's something wrong with the RAM, be it one of the chips or something with one of the banks, like a solder joint or trace or a different chip that is causing issues. I'm fairly sure the memory chips are good, but am waiting on a few replacements in the mail. Currently, it will only see 384k of 640, so I can't run most DOS programs.

While that's on hold, I've been working on the Commodore and the 486.

I got the Tandy and the Commodore with 2 CGA monitors (Tandy CM5 and CM11) and like 50 billion original 5.25 game disks for 14 dollars at a garage sale I stumbled across in around 2006. I offered them that cause that's all I had in my pocket.

Anyway,

Commodore PC10-III

UKMygon.jpg

gwIprxk.jpg

3PeME1w.jpg

I think this is a really early version of the PC10-III, as I cannot find any photos of this model online that look like this. Also, the BIOS version is 4.3, which is lower than any I've seen photos of, and the board rev is 5.1, the lowest I've seen online is 5.7 I think. The case looks closer to the PC10-II or the COLT.

Luckily this machine still worked mostly correctly when I hooked it up recently after sitting for 10 years. The hard drive and the CMOs battery were both bad. The HDD is like 85% bad, it can still read some of the files, but not reliably. The controller card also started smoking last night, I have no idea why. Luckily, it didn't hurt the motherboard. And, luckily I had just moved to a XT-IDE and CF solution because of the unreliability of the old drives, and cost/difficulty finding them.

I tried to replace the CMOS battery with 3 x 1.2v AA batteries (The original was a 3.6v rechargeable) but I think there's something wrong with the connections on the board, as it still would not keep time after I soldered it in, and 90% of the time on POST, it does not list the RTC in the detected hardware, but 10% of the time it does. Oh well, it only seems to affect the date/time, all the hardware either autodetects on each boot now, or just works, so I don't care enough. I just removed both batteries and cleaned the little bit of corrosion off the board.

The Computer has an XT-IDE card, a CF to IDE adapter, and a Sound Blaster CT1350B. I've also got an original mouse for it, that I believe I just happened to find elsewhere over the years, I don't think it came with it.

The monitor currently is the CM-11. I have a CM-5 as well, that is in better looking condition, but it's a smaller screen, and it's more yellowed. The CM-11 is nicer. I'm working on trying to make a 3D printed model replacement for the monitor adjustment panel thingy, as that cover was missing when I got it. You can see a small section of it in the picture as one of my test prints, also I've attached a picture of the current model, I haven't finished it, and I have to figure out how I'm going to bend it slightly to fit the curvature of the monitor (Possibly heat it up a bit and bend it) but it was just a thought I had. I will work on colors or painting the model or something possibly.

I cleaned the monitor a little, as it was much dirtier, but have not fully cleaned it up yet.

IyH12qi.jpg

HLeI26p.jpg

The KB is just a generic XT/AT keyboard I had.

I replaced the PSU Fan the other day (It was loud) and I replaced the 2nd 5.25 Floppy drive with a 3.5" drive.

It had an EGA card in it, I may put it back in at some point, but right now, I don't have an EGA monitor.

Currently it has DOS 6.22 on it just for testing purposes, I may go back to 3.3 or so, as it's closer to the original version.

------------------------------------------------------------

Generic 486 40MHz

y4oqfYC.jpg

I don't currently have any pictures inside the case, and don't feel like taking it apart again.

It's got an AOPEN VI15G Motherboard, 486 40MHz CPU, 32MB RAM, Cirrus Logic VESA Video card/IDE/Floppy Controller (Combined), SB CT4520, CF to IDF Adapter, 5.25 and 3.5 Floppy Drives, and a slot loaded CDROM drive.

I decided to use the 40MHz CPU, I have a 66 and and I think a 100 as well, but I've never had a 40MHz machine, so I went with that. I could also run it without a heatsink.

The handle thingy for the 5.25 drive I had to 3D Print a replacement for, as it broke a while back.

Currently, it just has WFW 3.11 on it and DOS 6.22.

The Compaq v50 Monitor is one I found cleaning out an old School Autoshop a few years back, it was covered in black dust. Looks like new after a lot of cleaning, and works well.

The only issue it currently has, is for whatever reason, about 80% of the time you turn the machine on or reboot it, it says the CMOS settings are invalid and makes you redo them. I have no idea why. Guessing there's a bug in the BIOS version or something. The CMOS battery is fine, I've checked it, and it never loses date or time.

-------------------------------------------------

Some of the other hardware that I have that I'd like to get cleaned up or mess with again include:

1. Apple IIe (One of the more original ones from the early 80's, and a couple from the later 80's) - Last I knew, these all worked, I tested the older one the other day, and had to re-solder the composite connector, and the PSU acts like a capacitor is going bad, so I might have to address that...
  2. Apple IIc - Works fine, just dirty
  3. 2 x Mac SE/30 - 1 Seems to work fine, the other acts like a capacitor or something is going bad, as it turned on/off with a flashing screen the other day for a little while before working fine.
  4. Compaq SLT/286 Laptop - Checked it the other day, the HDD and floppy weren't working right. Replugged the HDD, and that's working now, but the Floppy is only intermittently reading. Might just need to be configured properly, I noticed it thinks it's a 360k drive, but it's not.
  5. Dell 486 Laptop - Built in Trackball doesn't work

This list all came from a school environment, the Apple IIe's were in use from the mid 80's until 2007 or so, they supposedly were left on 24/7 all school year long (Just turned off the monitor) so they were probably on for 15 years or so total. The teacher donated them to me when she retired because she knew I thought they were interesting.

Reply 15430 of 27483, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-05-21, 01:09:
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-05-21, 01:03:

Yeah, the kernelex from BWC. It does improve Windows 2000 to an useable daily driver machine IMO, if you use SeaMonkey 2.49.5 for browsing. Anything below Windows 2000 I've decided to go vanilla. The current state of KernelEx for Windows 98/ME is actually too much buggy and not practical.

I mean, I don't daily drive Windows 2000, I just install KernelEx because it allows for at least some compatibility with XP software.

Reply 15431 of 27483, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PC10-III, Ah, I used to take a word processing on word 5.0 all on dual drives of 5.25" and saved our work on other disk on these. No hard drive in them, speed is pretty good, high school "word processing" class, that was years ago, that was in spring 1992. Finished my last year student in other high school in 92-93.

Eariler on, I had taken other computing classes on model 50 computers all hooked to PS/2 60 via token ring and MAU boxes network jury jigged to tables. Messy but works, slow. Word Perfect is powerful but too complex when I was younger early in the high school.

And kept using Word 5.0 in college on my LTE 386s/20 for writing. Even overclocked notebook to 25MHz and swapped Intel 20MHz for AMD 386SX 25 CPU too.

I even found the word 5.0 again and downloaded it to my PC.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 15432 of 27483, by RetroLizard

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote on 2020-05-20, 16:51:

Yup. Same with the 2001 model that I have. I do not know much about the 2000 model though, and I do not believe that it is 15khz compatible. These old dell are just wonderfull monitors.

Yeah, and I'm not even that big a fan of Dell hardware (personal preference), but the monitor is nice.

There's just something appealing about the backlight of monitors from back then.

Reply 15433 of 27483, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroLizard wrote on 2020-05-21, 08:10:
brostenen wrote on 2020-05-20, 16:51:

Yeah, and I'm not even that big a fan of Dell hardware (personal preference), but the monitor is nice.

There's just something appealing about the backlight of monitors from back then.

True that. The image quality is just so sweet. It is the same with the old IBM LCD monitors. Totally awesomme.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 15434 of 27483, by amontre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today, I had my MiSTer with Minimig core installed on my candy arcade cabs (using a jamma adapter), I'm having a blast playing amiga games on the arcade.

NEC Pentium 133 | 96mb RAM | 40gb HDD | s3 Virge DX | Voodoo 2 | SB AWE64 Gold | Roland MT-32 & SC 55MkII

Reply 15436 of 27483, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
amontre wrote on 2020-05-21, 11:57:

Today, I had my MiSTer with Minimig core installed on my candy arcade cabs (using a jamma adapter), I'm having a blast playing amiga games on the arcade.

Could you please give me a brief rundown on what makes a MiSTer different from a MiST?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 15437 of 27483, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote on 2020-05-21, 12:22:

Restored an original Dual Shock controller today.

nice :3

are there any thumbsticks out there that don't dissolve after a few years?

Reply 15438 of 27483, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Doesn't seem so. The ones I had as spares are not perfect either. I've ordered replacement rubber caps from China, but for now it will do this way. 😀

Have a second Dual Shock in even worse condition. Not sure yet what I'm going to do with that one.

Reply 15439 of 27483, by RetroLizard

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is probably not the right place for such a question, but is a Voodoo 3 3000 card powerful enough to run a Playstation emulator with?

(I already have my separate Windows 10 PC for such a thing, so this is purely just for curiosity.)