VOGONS

First post, by thenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all. I am setting up Windows 98 on a computer that is slightly newer than that era. The motherboard has an IDE input but also has SATA. The bios lets me set the SATA as IDE compatibility and I have a DVD drive plugged into that. (I have hard drive on the actual IDE) once windows is running it sees the SATA as IDE but says it doesn't have a driver for it and doesn't see the DVD Drive. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how I should go about trying to get the drive working. Thanks for any help.

Reply 2 of 13, by thenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3l is the motherboard I'm using. It doesn't have win98 drivers but I figured I'd put in a compatible graphics card, sound card, and it should be able to work otherwise. I'm not sure what other hard drive would matter but got half gig of ram, an old generic VGA video card, and pentium 4 processor in

Reply 3 of 13, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
thenix wrote on 2020-05-21, 23:03:

gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3l is the motherboard I'm using. It doesn't have win98 drivers but I figured I'd put in a compatible graphics card, sound card, and it should be able to work otherwise. I'm not sure what other hard drive would matter but got half gig of ram, an old generic VGA video card, and pentium 4 processor in

If your plan is to run a disk larger than 127GB (whether SSD or not) under Windows 9x , have a look at this thread : SSD Woes On Windows 98 SE

As for the driver issue :

There are RLOEW's SATA drivers for Windows . There is even an AHCI mode driver .

http://lonecrusader.x10host.com/rloew/ptchsata.html

http://lonecrusader.x10host.com/rloew/ahci9x.html

If that does not work, you can always get a PCI controller card that does work under Windows 98 SE (with drivers) (SIL3512 or SIL3114, Promise Ultra133, etc) .

Reply 4 of 13, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have answers but I'm curious whether an atapi CD driver and mscdex work in DOS mode? I thought the whole point of IDE compatbility mode was to be, well, IDE compatible. So you'd think it would at least work slowly under Windows. Maybe windows has a whitelist of pci ids or something and it needs to see an .inf file before it'll accept that it's an IDE controller?

Reply 5 of 13, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll add, if driver+mscdex work, that will be a way to at least make it accessible in Windows until you find another solution. I once had one of those Philips external drives with a proprietary ISA controller card that I used this way.

Reply 6 of 13, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-05-22, 00:48:

I'll add, if driver+mscdex work, that will be a way to at least make it accessible in Windows until you find another solution. I once had one of those Philips external drives with a proprietary ISA controller card that I used this way.

Let me guess, a CDD461 or CDD462 on a CM-153 interface card ?

Reply 7 of 13, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-05-22, 01:04:

Let me guess, a CDD461 or CDD462 on a CM-153 interface card ?

I looked at those on Google images and it didn't look like them. The front was significantly bigger than the CD tray and the only button was a (large) eject button. I forget how I came across the drive. I think it was bundled with one of the (multiple) 486 systems I had but didn't keep 🙁

Reply 8 of 13, by thenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-05-21, 23:25:
If your plan is to run a disk larger than 127GB (whether SSD or not) under Windows 9x , have a look at this thread : SSD Woes […]
Show full quote
thenix wrote on 2020-05-21, 23:03:

If your plan is to run a disk larger than 127GB (whether SSD or not) under Windows 9x , have a look at this thread : SSD Woes On Windows 98 SE

As for the driver issue :

There are RLOEW's SATA drivers for Windows . There is even an AHCI mode driver .

http://lonecrusader.x10host.com/rloew/ptchsata.html

http://lonecrusader.x10host.com/rloew/ahci9x.html

If that does not work, you can always get a PCI controller card that does work under Windows 98 SE (with drivers) (SIL3512 or SIL3114, Promise Ultra133, etc) .

Thank you. I think this is a good possibility for me.

Reply 9 of 13, by thenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-05-22, 00:46:

I don't have answers but I'm curious whether an atapi CD driver and mscdex work in DOS mode? I thought the whole point of IDE compatbility mode was to be, well, IDE compatible. So you'd think it would at least work slowly under Windows. Maybe windows has a whitelist of pci ids or something and it needs to see an .inf file before it'll accept that it's an IDE controller?

It's weird. For my system when I use the win98 disk and start windows with cd drivers booting from cd it sees my cd drive fine. Once windows actually boots up it doesn't see it anymore. Windows 98 shows that it has IDE controllers for each of my sata inputs but has an exclamation point on it showing that something is wrong like it doesn't have the driver. I was hoping that on legacy mode the sata would just been seen ad IDE and Windows 98 would be able to work with it like any other IDE.

Reply 10 of 13, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
thenix wrote on 2020-05-22, 06:16:

It's weird. For my system when I use the win98 disk and start windows with cd drivers booting from cd it sees my cd drive fine. Once windows actually boots up it doesn't see it anymore. Windows 98 shows that it has IDE controllers for each of my sata inputs but has an exclamation point on it showing that something is wrong like it doesn't have the driver. I was hoping that on legacy mode the sata would just been seen ad IDE and Windows 98 would be able to work with it like any other IDE.

It'll still need a driver for the controller the drives are connected to, unfortunately with your motherboard neither the intel chipset or the additional jmicron sata controller have drivers for windows 9x, the jmicron is windows 2000 and up and the intel P45 chipset is windows XP and up, so only NT drivers, you'll either need a motherboard downgrade or a different controller card for it to work properly in windows 98 as above, Silicon Image or Promise cards tend to work well.

Reply 11 of 13, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-22, 09:09:

It'll still need a driver for the controller the drives are connected to, unfortunately with your motherboard neither the intel chipset or the additional jmicron sata controller have drivers for windows 9x, the jmicron is windows 2000 and up and the intel P45 chipset is windows XP and up, so only NT drivers, you'll either need a motherboard downgrade or a different controller card for it to work properly in windows 98 as above, Silicon Image or Promise cards tend to work well.

There are third party drivers that should work in Windows 9x . See my earlier post in this thread . They are at least woryh a try before trying a PCI controller (which I also suggested as an option).

Reply 12 of 13, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-05-22, 11:30:

There are third party drivers that should work in Windows 9x . See my earlier post in this thread . They are at least woryh a try before trying a PCI controller (which I also suggested as an option).

Yeah, I've not tried them myself but certainly worth a try, I should have added "If the above doesn't work".

Reply 13 of 13, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, well if you get exasperated and want a temporary fix, you should be able to put the driver in config.sys and mscdex in autoexec.bat, and it should make the drive visible in Windows, although it will be slow as all i/o to the drive has to drop down into DOS the old-school way.