VOGONS

First post, by RetroGamer02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found out you could get an adapter for converting a ATX to a AT but ran into an issue.
This
ATX-to-AT-Converter-ATX-AT-2WIRE-350x350.gif
Does not convert this part of the old power supply I was hoping to replace.
DSC01040_Highlight.jpg

Anyone know if I can still get a new power supply adapted to the old motherboard?

Last edited by RetroGamer02 on 2020-05-29, 22:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The green and black wires with spade connectors are for hooking up to an AT style switch.

That being said, the adapters I have purchased in the past came with a replacement power switch.

You will also want to see if any of your cards you plan on using need a -5v supply. If so, you will either need a power supply with -5v or an adapter that adds -5v.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree ! Yes some of the better adapters work OK but there is no real good ATX+adapter replacement for a true AT PSU on an XT, 286 or older 386 IMHO.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 12, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGamer02 wrote on 2020-05-28, 23:08:

I found out you could get an adapter for converting a ATX to a AT but ran into an issue.
8><CUT

What you need is, I think?, a 'momentary' switch aka 'push to make' switch.
They were for reasonable prices available on Ebay some time ago but 'they do' up to and over $10 at the moment.

There is now only a reasonably priced offer for [10 pieces]:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Switch-Push-Bu … cs/253323677440

Alternatively you can try to modify the switch that you have - read SirNickity's post in this thread:
AT style reset switch

Reply 4 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PARKE wrote on 2020-05-29, 15:39:
What you need is, I think?, a 'momentary' switch aka 'push to make' switch. They were for reasonable prices available on Ebay so […]
Show full quote
RetroGamer02 wrote on 2020-05-28, 23:08:

8><CUT

What you need is, I think?, a 'momentary' switch aka 'push to make' switch.
They were for reasonable prices available on Ebay some time ago but 'they do' up to and over $10 at the moment.

There is now only a reasonably priced offer for [10 pieces]:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Switch-Push-Bu … cs/253323677440

Alternatively you can try to modify the switch that you have - read SirNickity's post in this thread:
AT style reset switch

A momentary switch will not work with an ATX to AT PSU adapter. The green and black on that adapter have to be shorted together to keep the ATX PSU on when not hooked up to an ATX motherboard.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Correct, because it's the ATX mainboard that would normally "parse" the input of the momentary switch and would keep the green wire connected to ground. That's why it can turn off the system when shutting down the OS or add a 4-second delay when holding the power button.

The PSU only knows "on" or "off", depending on if the green wire is grounded or not.

Reply 7 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

An AT power switch, or any other toggle switch. He can just use the one from the old PSU. When removing the black shrink tubing, the terminals for connecting the two wires from the adapter should be accessible.

Another solution would be to permanently connect the two wires and use the power switch on the back of the ATX PSU, provided it has one.

Reply 10 of 12, by RetroGamer02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Will keep the replacement in mind if the power supply in there does not supply -5V.
Also a pic for any wondering what I have so far its a work in progress.
DSC01042.JPG