Common searches

Welcome to the updated VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 660 of 743, by Paralel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-05-22, 05:43:

With my eyesight, I cannot see the pointer very well at all.

The site hijacks the cursor. This is a well known issue. I, and several other people, have made the administration here aware that this is a severe barrier to accessibility, as I also have ocular issues that prevent me from using a smaller cursor. The administration, being the compassionate and understanding individuals they are, have chosen to tell us to handle it on our end by modifying how our browser work for the most part. At one point the admin member that was responsible for this redesign said it was an issue with how the browsers were handling the code here (👌) and reported it as a "bug" but nothing came of it (shocking, I know).

As a result I gave up coming to Vogons until someone told me that Edge has a bug in it that ignores the cursor hijacking and allows you to still use your standard system cursor. I found out there were right, so I decided to come back here. Although, someone discovered that ignoring the cursor hijacking was actually a bug in the browser, which could be patched at any time. So, it isn't much of a solution.

Last edited by Paralel on 2020-05-23, 20:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 661 of 743, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Even Google "I eat memory for every meal" Chrome and FireFox do the same thing.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 662 of 743, by Paralel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-05-23, 06:49:

Even Google "I eat memory for every meal" Chrome and FireFox do the same thing.

Yes, unfortunately, they all respect the cursor hijacking. The only workaround is to use a client-side script mentioned here:

Re: Welcome to the updated VOGONS

Except for that, our only hope is that eventually the administrators will hear the pleas of us plebs and grant us our request to stop hijacking the cursor, but that is highly unlikely at this point.

Reply 663 of 743, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's much better. I didn't realize the new Edge version allows the installation of Chrome extensions, which is rad, man.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 664 of 743, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the Stylish solution versus adding a CSS override like:

* { cursor : initial !important; }

Is it primarily a case of wanting site specific overrides?

I'm not aware of a tactic that overrides cursor declarations with more specificity and the !important flag.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 665 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-05-23, 21:13:

That's much better. I didn't realize the new Edge version allows the installation of Chrome extensions, which is rad, man.

It's very, very good. Allows me to use the same adblocker extension across all systems (Adguard). As well as the same web development tools extensions I added to Chrome.

(I do not use Chrome; I only load Chrome for when I need to test any website page I am developing at work).

EDIT: I actually have one complaint - why is the forum theme using a CSS filter rule to make our images in our signatures look darker? It's just one rule, it could be removed and its a win-win situation.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 666 of 743, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

for everyone who is in despair because of the new emoji plague, I finally found a solution for firefox (in windows?) at least:

in about:config add a new string with the name font.name-list.serif.x-unicode and for the value choose Segoe UI Symbol

Reply 667 of 743, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileR wrote on 2020-05-18, 06:23:

4 lines may be a bit strict, but anyway the number of lines is irrelevant when someone just uses a gigantic image instead of text.
On the other hand... it should be possible to limit the displayed height of the signature to 100 pixels, or 6 em heights (for example), and make it expand only when clicked. That should work regardless of the content.

quick solution:

.post_signature { max-height: 100px; overflow: auto; }

automatically crops and introduces a scrollbar if the signature exceeds 100 pixels.

Reply 669 of 743, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nezarn wrote on 2020-06-04, 10:04:

What is the exact amount of posts needed to unlock PMs ?

We apologize, but the forum admin has asked for this to be kept vague, so as to keep the spammers on their toes. If spamming begins again, the limit will once again be raised.

We encourage you instead to become part of the VOGONS community and keep posting.

There really can't be anything so important so as to require immediate access to private messages, that cannot instead be discussed publicly? My assumption is if there is, then it's probably some violation of forum rules.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 670 of 743, by Nezarn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You assume wrong, why would I want to talk about stuff that's against the rules? Using google for things like that isn't hard 🤣.

It's also weird that without hitting the necessary post count for sending PM, its impossible to reply to PMs that got sent to me too. (so if someone sends a PM to a person who didn't hit the necessary post count, he can never reply to it)

Edit: its also hard to post anything, since most things are\were already discussed and can be found here.

Reply 671 of 743, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nezarn wrote on 2020-06-05, 08:56:

You assume wrong, why would I want to talk about stuff that's against the rules? Using google for things like that isn't hard 🤣.

It's also weird that without hitting the necessary post count for sending PM, its impossible to reply to PMs that got sent to me too. (so if someone sends a PM to a person who didn't hit the necessary post count, he can never reply to it)

Edit: its also hard to post anything, since most things are\were already discussed and can be found here.

I was in your position until about a week ago. Yeah it's mildly irritating, but I also know how hard it can be to balance anti-spam policy. In my case I was contributing to the Vogons Drivers thread. Someone there PM'd me for more info and I couldn't reply! But we sorted it out.

I found that using the 'new posts' function is the best way to get involved and posting. Comment on builds, post your own, contribute to new threads that appear, etc. I've been a member here for a while, but finding that feature finally got me posting properly.

search.php?search_id=newposts

Reply 672 of 743, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been using an old pre-quantum FIrefox for Vogons for ages and on this new site i've grown accustomed to the 'wrong' colors of a Green visited link and a Blue unvisited link. Trying Vogons on waterfox makes that green a white color, and shrinks my mouse cursor slightly for some reason.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 674 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
digger wrote on 2020-06-26, 12:24:

Awww, the bouncing party hat on the Vogons logo is gone. 😕

In six months it will soon be back. 😀

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 675 of 743, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bruninho wrote on 2020-06-26, 15:37:
digger wrote on 2020-06-26, 12:24:

Awww, the bouncing party hat on the Vogons logo is gone. 😕

In six months it will soon be back. 😀

That was on my wishlist - make it a timer-controlled thing, like we did in the past manually. I assume it was just a quick change to disable it tho, not the script controlled thing I suggested.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 676 of 743, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Should such as [colour=green][colour=green]English[/colour][/colour] or [color=red]American[/color] work and if not can they be added please?

With [color=red][noparse][color=red]American[/color][/color] it seems to eat the [color=red], but the colour does not change to red 🙁

I guess such as [color=#FC80A5]tickle me pink[/color] should also be possible, see https://absitomen.com/index.php?topic=331.0.

Reply 677 of 743, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmm, when did this happen? I didn't like the new interface at first, but just realised I find it quite pleasant now 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.