VOGONS

Reply 20 of 32, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
matze79 wrote on 2020-05-28, 18:52:

Yeah i tried 3dmark 2000 only scored a mere 900 points.
The TNT1 Chip really struggles here.

Did you run UT in OpenGL Mode or in DirectX ?

I tried opengl but wasn't to charmed with it. It didn't have a smooth fps at higher than 480x460.
So i use direct x at 768x1024 16bit no light.
Better do 800x600 16bit.
Im getting the monster tomorrow.
Offtopic:
So ive been playing quake last few days. Than you enter the palace, next fight the big robot..... game is over ! Thought single campaign took longer to play out 🤣

Rise of the Triad

Reply 21 of 32, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-05-27, 06:59:

1. Just put it in next to the viper, and leave the viper drivers alone. Then install the voodoo drivers. They work side by side.

2. No. It's not a video card. Bios will not recognize a display device and neither will win98.

It should not be that hard to get working.

So i installed card next to viper, monster3d ii drivers installed like a charm. Unreal in Glide 3dfx works perfect under 800x600.
A few questions:

1. 3dfx Glide in Unreal tournament gives me only 16bit texture to choose from. Is my voodoo2 not capable to provide 32bit textures? My viper can produce 32bit texture in win98.

2. Game-wise: Aliens vs Predator ran on the viper. Since I wired it to the monster 3d ii card the game starts perfect in menu. Than start a new game, when intro movie is done it starts rendering the game...Then the monitor doesen't receive signal. The game is still working, I can hear sound. Even keys work normally. It's just that monitor isn't getting signal. I tried to alter video card in settings but it only let's me choose the Viper.
So it's passed through the monster 3d but should still be working for the game? Is there something to change this other than to put monitor straight into viper. Seems the game doesn't see the "wire-through"?

3. I hear and see about "fastvoodoo" drivers. I installed the original Diamond monster 3d ii drivers. Is there any difference or possible gain by using Fastvoodoo drivers?

Thanks!!

Rise of the Triad

Reply 22 of 32, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1. Not even the voodoo3 was capable of 32-bit, rather infamously. Need a voodoo5 for that.

2. does it actually work when monitor connected directly to viper? passing through the v2 should make no difference, that's how you are seeing the windows desktop in the first place.

3. they are faster and allow mismatched sli...i just stick with stock drivers.

Reply 23 of 32, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-02, 10:07:

2. does it actually work when monitor connected directly to viper? passing through the v2 should make no difference, that's how you are seeing the windows desktop in the first place.

Yes it does. The PC uses the Viper as normal 2dgraph card. That's why i can't get my head round it..
When the actual game starts it pops to the direct3d res and loads the red banner below until it's green.
Just before this "switch" it loses signal. Like the monster3d stops passing the signal through....
I can't choose the voodoo2 option ingame or should i have this option?

Rise of the Triad

Reply 25 of 32, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-02, 10:15:

Try a few other games using opengl or d3d. Do any of them work on the viper passing through the v2?

I'll try that tonight with halflife, driver, motoracer, blood2.
Soldier of Fortune, Hexen2 and Quake2 worked nicelybut i had them on opengl.

Rise of the Triad

Reply 26 of 32, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-02, 10:15:

Try a few other games using opengl or d3d. Do any of them work on the viper passing through the v2?

Is there a setting in Display Tab and advanced tab to use in controlling this?

Rise of the Triad

Reply 27 of 32, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So went back into AvP and changed the resolution to 800x600. Just to exclude that as a problem..... The game ran perfect. Switched up to 1024x768 .... loads perfectly into game.

Don't know what the problem is/was but i can't select voodoo2 as an driver. Think you need Voodoo3 and up for that. 🤔 Voodoo3 was an integrated 2d/3d card..... might seen that in the early days. Yes i had voodoo3 way back.

Anyway thanks for the info in this ! 👍

Rise of the Triad

Reply 28 of 32, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mentalbass wrote on 2020-06-02, 20:47:
So went back into AvP and changed the resolution to 800x600. Just to exclude that as a problem..... The game ran perfect. Switch […]
Show full quote

So went back into AvP and changed the resolution to 800x600. Just to exclude that as a problem..... The game ran perfect. Switched up to 1024x768 .... loads perfectly into game.

Don't know what the problem is/was but i can't select voodoo2 as an driver. Think you need Voodoo3 and up for that. 🤔 Voodoo3 was an integrated 2d/3d card..... might seen that in the early days. Yes i had voodoo3 way back.

Is it a glide game?

Reply 29 of 32, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mentalbass wrote on 2020-06-02, 09:02:
So i installed card next to viper, monster3d ii drivers installed like a charm. Unreal in Glide 3dfx works perfect under 800x600 […]
Show full quote

So i installed card next to viper, monster3d ii drivers installed like a charm. Unreal in Glide 3dfx works perfect under 800x600.
A few questions:

1. 3dfx Glide in Unreal tournament gives me only 16bit texture to choose from. Is my voodoo2 not capable to provide 32bit textures? My viper can produce 32bit texture in win98.

2. Game-wise: Aliens vs Predator ran on the viper. Since I wired it to the monster 3d ii card the game starts perfect in menu. Than start a new game, when intro movie is done it starts rendering the game...Then the monitor doesen't receive signal. The game is still working, I can hear sound. Even keys work normally. It's just that monitor isn't getting signal. I tried to alter video card in settings but it only let's me choose the Viper.
So it's passed through the monster 3d but should still be working for the game? Is there something to change this other than to put monitor straight into viper. Seems the game doesn't see the "wire-through"?

3. I hear and see about "fastvoodoo" drivers. I installed the original Diamond monster 3d ii drivers. Is there any difference or possible gain by using Fastvoodoo drivers?

Thanks!!

1. Voodoo cards all the way up to and including the Voodoo 3 are 16bit only, although they can offer great image quality especially with Voodoo Banshee and V3. Riva TNT supports 32bit rendering, but I think these cards are too slow anyway, the hit from moving to 32bit was too great to be worthwhile

3. FastVoodoo drivers are 3rd party drivers made by fans. They combine different files from different releases and have some tweaks of their own. The performance boost comes mostly from applied overclocking when using these drivers. They also offer mismatched SLI cards compatibility, but it's not really something you should worry about with just one card, and it's also something you can do with other drivers anyway.
IMO not worth it, I'd stay with the latest reference drivers for Voodoo2 and perhaps use older drivers for some games that broke compatibility.

Reply 30 of 32, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-02, 20:58:
Mentalbass wrote on 2020-06-02, 20:47:
So went back into AvP and changed the resolution to 800x600. Just to exclude that as a problem..... The game ran perfect. Switch […]
Show full quote

Is it a glide game?

No, but I rember my voodoo3 being shown as a display driver ingame. Voodoo2 ofcourse not since its just an 3d accelerator.
Dont know why it didn't work right away, after adding voodoo2. Problem had to be this game because Unreal, hexen2, blood2 etc. worked fine.

Rise of the Triad

Reply 31 of 32, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Garrett W wrote on 2020-06-02, 21:56:

IMO not worth it, I'd stay with the latest reference drivers for Voodoo2 and perhaps use older drivers for some games that broke compatibility.

I'll stay with original files.
Fun to see Unreal at 800x600 in glide. Voodoo2 works great.
Now let's throw some more money around for another voodoo2 SLI 😀

Rise of the Triad

Reply 32 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Garrett W wrote on 2020-06-02, 21:56:

Riva TNT supports 32bit rendering, but I think these cards are too slow anyway, the hit from moving to 32bit was too great to be worthwhile

I got the Diamond Viper 550 (TNT1) when brand new and even then the 32bit was too slow for gaming. I ended up kinda ignoring its '32 bit capabilities' altogether.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!