VOGONS

Reply 2340 of 3172, by kompas-rus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shock__ wrote on 2020-05-19, 16:56:

Alternative is so simply break off the excess on the Vibra brackets, as I did 😉

Hi, as promised, I will give you 3 boards as a gift, write to me.
http://chipkin.ru/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/ … 218-rotated.jpg

Reply 2341 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Synoptic wrote on 2020-06-09, 15:08:

I am also having an issue. I am using the OEM ROM (see #9 pictures).
IWINIT freezes and setup says it cannot locate the card.

Maybe I just don't remember how to setup the card anymore 😀 but my BETA card works.

Now I remember 640k post. Need to program the EEPROM using this :
download/file.php?id=42508&sid=4d4fa4b6b080ae … 1927b72138005ea

Reply 2342 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Whiskey wrote on 2020-06-09, 15:00:
Just booted up my K6 machine with the ARGUS in, no magic smoke so thats good! […]
Show full quote

Just booted up my K6 machine with the ARGUS in, no magic smoke so thats good!

Sadly I'm getting the "InterWave card not found" error when I try to flash the card.

I've tried disabling as much of the IO as I can to make sure as many IRQs are free and its all set to PNP in the bios.

I'm a bit stuck for ideas now, I've checked over the board and don't see any bad solder joints. Any Ideas?

See my post about programming the EEPROM

Reply 2343 of 3172, by Whiskey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Synoptic wrote on 2020-06-09, 15:39:
Whiskey wrote on 2020-06-09, 15:00:
Just booted up my K6 machine with the ARGUS in, no magic smoke so thats good! […]
Show full quote

Just booted up my K6 machine with the ARGUS in, no magic smoke so thats good!

Sadly I'm getting the "InterWave card not found" error when I try to flash the card.

I've tried disabling as much of the IO as I can to make sure as many IRQs are free and its all set to PNP in the bios.

I'm a bit stuck for ideas now, I've checked over the board and don't see any bad solder joints. Any Ideas?

See my post about programming the EEPROM

Thanks for this, but I'm already using PNPMAP /f GRAVNOCD.ROM which is what is giving me the "InterWave card not found error."

I have also tried to dump the IW rom as the guide suggested and I get the error "Can't get the InterWave base port - check ULTRASND environment varable"

I've done the best I can to check the continuity of the IC's and the pads and they all seem fine. Maybe I've got a dead chip somewhere or it's a problem with my test rig.

I stream retro games every wednesday here & I dump the recordings here

Reply 2344 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Whiskey wrote on 2020-06-09, 15:46:

Thanks for this, but I'm already using PNPMAP /f GRAVNOCD.ROM which is what is giving me the "InterWave card not found error."

I have also tried to dump the IW rom as the guide suggested and I get the error "Can't get the InterWave base port - check ULTRASND environment varable"

I've done the best I can to check the continuity of the IC's and the pads and they all seem fine. Maybe I've got a dead chip somewhere or it's a problem with my test rig.

backward chip ?

Reply 2345 of 3172, by Whiskey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Synoptic wrote on 2020-06-09, 15:49:
Whiskey wrote on 2020-06-09, 15:46:

backward chip ?

Pic of card, chips match the photo of your card. I'm stumped, just tried the card in a different system and get the same message.

EDIT: I have just re-worked every IC on the card and replaced the EEPROM chip with a new one just incase it was bad. Still not detected by PNPMAP.

EDIT2: I'm wondering if the problem might lay in the systems I have tried the card in, Both are socket 7 motherboards with K6 chips and AT power supplies. Do I need to used the -5v jumper? I'm afraid to try anything with out knowing what I'm doing incase I end up with a dead pc too.

20200609_165530.jpg
Filename
20200609_165530.jpg
File size
1.92 MiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Reply 2346 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Card Setup : OEM ROM with 72 PIN SIMM (8MB double-sided, 4MB detected by the Ultrasound setup)
Joystick Setup : Gravis Gamepad Pro (PS1 Style)
Midi : MT-32

Here's my first observations:
Unable to properly mute the MIC input using ultramix mm. Pluging my MT-32 into the MIC input, I can hear the music (overdriven of course).
Line input does mute properly.

Joystick works fine using Gravutil. Button 1 is seen as the Select button and button 2 is seen as the top button (RED). Other buttons are detected either for Joy 2 or somekind of repetitive action (turbo button)

Joystick port Midi output seems to work properly with my MT-32, I get the music from Space Quest III using MegaEm

Duke 3d, Windows 98 and Playmidi work fine.

I can run some more tests, just quote me and list what you want me to test.

Reply 2347 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Whiskey wrote on 2020-06-09, 16:00:

Both are socket 7 motherboards with K6 chips and AT power supplies. Do I need to used the -5v jumper? I'm afraid to try anything with out knowing what I'm doing incase I end up with a dead pc too.

The -5 V feature is never needed for the card to work. It exists only as a way of feeding -5 V onto the bus for systems that need it, but don't have a power supply that provides it. The card generates the -5 V supply it needs locally. Furthermore, any properly-functioning AT power supply will provide that voltage itself. Populating R620 and closing that jumper when the card is installed in a system that already provides -5 V can indeed lead to disaster.

I suspect that you have other problems, but for now, try moving R11 to the other position. Then, you should be able to run IWINIT without PNPMAP having to write the EEPROM first. This means that you will need the appropriate environment variables set, as well as a copy of IWINIT and a valid IW.INI. For testing, the exact resource allocations in IW.INI won't be a problem yet. Since his setup is working, perhaps you can get the necessary information from Synoptic, if you didn't have an existing GUS PnP installation.

If that also fails, it will be time to get out the flux and re-flow the regulators and all of the resistors and capacitors; many of the solder joints look a little "blobby".

EDIT: Also check the alignment of the card with your bracket. It is possible that it just isn't sitting in the slot correctly.

Reply 2348 of 3172, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree with 640K!enough, the joints on the SMD resistor/caps look a bit dull, so you may have some cold joints there... unless you are using lead free solder, which can itself be problematic.

Also check that none of the ICs is getting too hot! That is usually a sign of failure.

Reply 2349 of 3172, by Whiskey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I figured as much. No hot ICs so thats a good sign at least.
This was my first time doing SMD soldering which is most likely the culprit for the problem.
I'll just have to re-flow everything and hope that fixes the problem. Will give the R11 change and IW dump a try as well.

I've tried the card with and without the bracket, it looks like a clean fit all the way into the slot.

I'm not familiar with GUS cards or drivers at all, and have been following the guide you provided @TheMobRules. Just checking I'm not missing out some kind of initialisation step like a config.sys or autoexec.bat line or something, the PNPMAP is the first step?

Thanks for the help.

Reply 2350 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Whiskey wrote on 2020-06-09, 20:07:

I'm not familiar with GUS cards or drivers at all, and have been following the guide you provided @TheMobRules. Just checking I'm not missing out some kind of initialisation step like a config.sys or autoexec.bat line or something, the PNPMAP is the first step?

Thanks for the help.

PnPMap is the first thing you should do. I don't know if you need the ENVIRONMENT variables set beforehand though. I don't remember if mines were set when I ran PNPMAP. (SET ULTRASND= stuff).

Reply 2351 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not necessarily. With R11 in its default position and a functional card, PNPMAP would normally be the first thing you would do, and no entries in CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT are required. However, this doesn't appear to be the situation at hand.

To simplify matters, I suggested that you move R11 to its alternate position for the time being. In this state, you can set all of the usual environment variables and run IWINIT directly. Plug and Play support will be disabled, and PNPMAP will never work, and is not required.

Make sure you have some no-clean, non-conductive flux, and re-flow the parts mentioned previously. It seems likely that one (or more) of the capacitors in the crystal circuits are not doing the job, one of the other capacitors around the InterWave isn't correctly soldered or one of the critical resistors needed on power-up isn't correctly soldered, causing the chip to enter a different configuration and/or perpetual suspend state. Take your time and re-flow them all with a bit of flux for each joint; they should be smooth and taper away from the component in question, rather than a blob at the end of it. If you're using lead-free solder, it's fine if they aren't shiny. If it's leaded solder, the joints should usually be relatively shiny.

EDIT: Forgot to mention:

Will give the R11 change and IW dump a try as well.

For ARGUS and the GUS PnP, tools like IWDUMP will not work if IWINIT cannot find and initialise the card and PNPMAP also fails. IWDUMP depends on the card having I/O addresses assigned (as part of IWINIT or Plug and Play initialisation), as well as the ULTRASND environment variable being correctly set.

Last edited by 640K!enough on 2020-06-10, 05:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2352 of 3172, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, I have the GUSar now soldered... I know this is the ArGUS thread, but since I won't be getting one, I figured I am going to get the GUSar. 😉 What is the exact software that I need to run these clones? I never had a GUS PnP back in the day, only the original GUS... PNPMAP is mentioned above -- is there like a package somewhere here in the 118 pages which I can simply download and install on my 386?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2353 of 3172, by Whiskey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
root42 wrote on 2020-06-09, 21:38:

Ok, I have the GUSar now soldered... I know this is the ArGUS thread, but since I won't be getting one, I figured I am going to get the GUSar. 😉 What is the exact software that I need to run these clones? I never had a GUS PnP back in the day, only the original GUS... PNPMAP is mentioned above -- is there like a package somewhere here in the 118 pages which I can simply download and install on my 386?

Everything you need is on the vogons driver archive. For dos and 3.11 you probs will be fine with the floppy images and the EEPROM tools.

Thanks again for all the tips guys. I've been using 60/40 flux core solder and Non conductive No Clean Flux pen for the IC legs.

Reply 2354 of 3172, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, found the three disks archives that were recommended. I tried pnpmap as well, and: No Interwave card found... 🙁

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2355 of 3172, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

wow. I just reflowed every single pin on the interwave. and i could flash the eeprom! yay!

Attachments

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 2356 of 3172, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hit the next snag: Mixer seems to work (it complains that there are no patches, hence no MIDI test), but no game will output music. I hear a crack when the card is initialized and mixer starts/quits, so I guess some audio is coming through. What could be the issue? ROM problems? RAM problems? How do I troubleshoot? Is there a test program that checks the RAM for example?
And where do I get the patches, so the Mixer can try the MIDI playback?

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 2358 of 3172, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@root42: if you've already flashed the EEPROM and installed the drivers from the floppies and the card is being initialized properly on startup, you can check the output of the following command:

iwinit -v9

Also, I think that in order to get music working you need to install at least one of these 2 patch sets from the SETUP folder of the GUS PnP CD available at vogonsdrivers.com:

• UltraSound Compatible Patch Set (Req. Sound Card RAM)
  • UltraSound Plug & Play 4MB Patch Set (Req. 4MB Sound Card RAM)

At least that's what worked for me...

Reply 2359 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote on 2020-06-09, 23:01:

I hit the next snag: Mixer seems to work (it complains that there are no patches, hence no MIDI test), but no game will output music.

Are these games that support the InterWave/GUS PnP or traditional (GF1-based) UltraSound? If they support GF1 cards, I will get to that below. If it's direct InterWave support, you may have a problem in IW.INI or with the ROM. Please post a complete copy of the output of "IWINIT -v9" (the v must be lower-case), or use "IWINIT -v9 > filename.txt" and attach the file.

Is there a test program that checks the RAM for example?

The included SETUP.EXE offers to test the RAM, but it's a pretty bare-bones test. If it fails, there is probably something wrong; if it passes, there may still be something wrong.

And where do I get the patches, so the Mixer can try the MIDI playback?

I cover the process in a decent amount of detail here (ignore the reference to PLAYMIDI).