VOGONS

Modern graphics on a 486

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 371, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GeForce 4 MX will most likely work fine, at least I had no problems on Asus board. D3D will work, but OpenGL may or may not work due to drivers being too new. Why would you want to play DVD on POD83 is beyond me though.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 181 of 371, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you are going to hunt down a PCI GF4, ensure that you don't find that one that is for the AGP 8x card. The GF4 AGP8X card was also made in a PCI format and it requires much newer drivers than the original GF4 PCI cards. I think NVIDIA version 54.x was required, and this was the oldest driver that would work.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 182 of 371, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote on 2012-11-16, 06:50:

Interestingly, the POD83 only added 0.3 fps to the score, albiet at 33 Mhz vs. 66 Mhz fsb of the Cyrix 5x86.

Old post I know but has anyone ever tested the PODs 1x multipler on a 66mhz FSB?
Any benchmark?

Reply 183 of 371, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The GF4 AGP8X card was also made in a PCI format and it requires much newer drivers than the original GF4 PCI cards. I think NVIDIA version 54.x was required, and this was the oldest driver that would work.

No, it doesn't matter.

Old post I know but has anyone ever tested the PODs 1x multipler on a 66mhz FSB?

POD has fixed multiplier.

Reply 184 of 371, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh? How do you get the regular gf4 drivers installed on a pci agp 8x card? It didn’t work for me using nvidia’s installer. I had to use a driver version with specific support for the agp 8x card.

Reply 185 of 371, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-06-11, 22:42:

POD has fixed multiplier.

It will fall back to 1X mode if you remove the fan assembly.
I think somebody actually did benchmark it at 1x66...I think it was about the same as a real P66. There's little reason to do it though. POD83 and POD100 should both be faster.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-06-12, 22:21. Edited 1 time in total.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 186 of 371, by Qbcd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-06-11, 17:04:

GeForce 4 MX will most likely work fine, at least I had no problems on Asus board. D3D will work, but OpenGL may or may not work due to drivers being too new. Why would you want to play DVD on POD83 is beyond me though.

Thank you! Did you test it specifically with the PVI-486SP3? Did you test with a 486-class CPU? I wonder what would happen if you installed the drivers with a POD and then swapped the CPU with a 486.

And the reason is... just for fun. I want the machine to be able to do something modern well. 😀

feipoa wrote on 2020-06-11, 20:08:

If you are going to hunt down a PCI GF4, ensure that you don't find that one that is for the AGP 8x card. The GF4 AGP8X card was also made in a PCI format and it requires much newer drivers than the original GF4 PCI cards. I think NVIDIA version 54.x was required, and this was the oldest driver that would work.

Oh thank you for that, I read your comment just in time, almost bought an MX4000. It was the only one reasonably priced, I guess this is why. Just to be safe I'll stay away from the MX440 too in case it's the 8x version. All the ones I found that are PCI versions of AGP 4x variants are over $100 🙁

I'm still skeptical, I can't find evidence of anyone using a 486 or POD with a card that has a full MPEG-2 decoder, actually installing drivers successfully and playing DVDs, maybe I'm the only one who's ever wanted to do that 🤣. I mean in your own testing on page 1 you said you had issues booting with the GeForce2 MX400 on SiS 496/497, even couldn't find good drivers for RivaTNT, so why would GF4 MX work? Also, isn't there a thing with PCI versions and backward compatibility, I assume my board has PCI 2.0 and the GF4 is PCI 2.2 or 2.3.

Edit: I see there's some disagreement now. I guess I'll wait for now unless I can find a cheap MX420.

Reply 187 of 371, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh? How do you get the regular gf4 drivers installed on a pci agp 8x card?

My Quadro card has NV18 chip. It just works. And if for some reason automatic install don't work, you can always force install regular GF4MX / Quadro 4 NVS 200 driver. All GeForce 4 MX require Detonator 27.xx or higher.

Reply 188 of 371, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-06-12, 07:41:

My Quadro card has NV18 chip. It just works. And if for some reason automatic install don't work, you can always force install regular GF4MX / Quadro 4 NVS 200 driver. All GeForce 4 MX require Detonator 27.xx or higher.

It has been a few years now, but I am pretty sure I tried to force the install and the AGP8X PCI card didn't like that. What is the lowest Nvidia driver version you've been able to get working on a GF4 AGP8X PCI card in Windows 9x?

Reply 190 of 371, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's no such thing as "AGP8X PCI". There're original NV17 and NV18 with 8x support. Latter doesn't matter for PCI mode anyway.

Reply 191 of 371, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suppose if you want to be really literal about your definitions, but when you look at the physical cards for purchase, the identifier is not NV17 or NV18, it is "AGP8X" or just "8X". It was for my card anyway.

This is the GF4 AGP8X PCI card I have.

PCI_GeForce4_MX440_with_AGP8X_physical_card.jpg
Filename
PCI_GeForce4_MX440_with_AGP8X_physical_card.jpg
File size
1.1 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The earliest Detonator driver I was able to use was 53.04.

PCI_GeForce4_MX440_with_AGP8X_driver.png
Filename
PCI_GeForce4_MX440_with_AGP8X_driver.png
File size
93.47 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I'm pretty sure I tried to force earlier drivers to install and it wasn't successful. Another user thinks it is still possible. If you want to error on the side of caution, do not obtain the "AGP8X PCI" cards without further 2nd party verification of earlier driver versions working.

Reply 192 of 371, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually have a Geforce 4 MX420 PCI and it worked with 81.98 drivers in Windows 98. It was a fresh install, I had no sound, didn t do any other tests except running Quake 2 which started fine.

On an older Windows 98SE installation (on which I have tested numerous other hardware, including a GeForce 7600GT) the same card would hang at boot, so it's quite sensitive about its drivers .
geforce_4_1080.png

Reply 193 of 371, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The earliest Detonator driver I was able to use was 53.04.

That's also impossible, because Device ID for 8x refresh cards was added in drivers much earlier (Detonator 30 series). Forceware 5x.xx were released deep in GeForce FX era, when GF4 series became obsolete.

Reply 194 of 371, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
OMORES wrote on 2020-06-12, 10:13:

the same card would hang at boot, so it's quite sensitive about its drivers .

if it hangs at boot it's more likely a hardware or bios issue though, drivers are only loaded by the OS

Reply 195 of 371, by Qbcd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-06-12, 07:41:

Sorry to bring this back to my original question, but could you please share which ASUS motherboard and CPU you tested NV17 with? Would be much appreciated! I have a PVI-486SP3.

My plan was to get an MX420 anyway since it's the lowest end card that has VPE, just to be safe, so for my purpose it doesn't matter too much if NV18 works.

Last edited by Qbcd on 2020-06-12, 12:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 196 of 371, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-06-12, 11:20:

if it hangs at boot it's more likely a hardware or bios issue though, drivers are only loaded by the OS

„At boot” actually means Windows 98 loading screen. 😀 Anyways, I m using it on X470 motherboard with 2 PCI slots (ASMEDIA 1083 bridge), and the card itself is using 2 x FST1621124-Bit Bus Switch so I can t complain if anything will go wrong...
fst16211.jpg

Reply 197 of 371, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry to bring this back to my original question, but could you please share which ASUS motherboard and CPU you tested NV17 with?

As I said, my Quadro 4 NVS card is NV18. Still works with drivers which are not aware of such ship. Overall, SIS chipset behave fine with Nvidia cards, but I can't say that with 100% guarantee.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2020-06-12, 19:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 198 of 371, by Qbcd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-06-12, 13:01:

Sorry to bring this back to my original question, but could you please share which ASUS motherboard and CPU you tested NV17 with?

As I said, my Quadro 4 NVS card is NV18. Still works with drivers which are not aware of such ship. Overall, SIS chipset behave fine with Nvidia cards, but I can say that with 100% guarantee.

Hm okay then, if NV18 works then NV17 will too, I am just a little concerned that the Quadro might have slightly different compatibility. Could you answer for NV18 then, motherboard and CPU if you remember? You mentioned ASUS but which one?