VOGONS

Best WinXP Video Card

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 241, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While you can of course use the control panel and force other AA options.. if for some reason you only want to use in-game settings I'm pretty sure there are some Windows XP era games that use CSAA which Maxwell does not support.

Reply 162 of 241, by Unorthodactyl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to necro this thread, but just wanted to add an FYI for anyone considering doing a GeForce SLI 700 series or a 900 series
It does not work. Nvidia dropped support for WinXP SLI starting from the 600 series (there are some beta drivers that have it half working for 600 series cards). Last series with official (& actually working) SLI support in Windows XP is the 500 series, so definitely better to just go with a single more powerful 600-900 series card unless you're needing a space heater.

Spent the past few hours trying to get it going on my SLI pairs of 760's & 970's. Unfortunately SLI support for the 700 & 900 series is Vista & up (Vista compatible rig thread anyone? 😜)

Luckily I still have period appropriate 8800GT's to play with though I'll have to rip them from my poor old socket 939 PC

Reply 163 of 241, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Kepler is great. Not only is my $150 Titan Black severely overpowered but I've not run into a single compatibility issue even going back as far as Far Cry 1 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I'm curious if it will do frame buffer effects in Knights of the Old Republic, though.

Reply 164 of 241, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"best" winXP card is tough because some games are broken when going from the nvidia 7xxx series to the 8xxx series due to the introduction of unified shaders vs the older shader model 3.0. I got a pc case recently that had a bunch of usable stuff inside, perfect for XP. Athlon II X2 4800+ running on an Asus M2N SLI Deluxe so it became my XP pc for the time being.

I tested out: 7950GT OC 256mb, 8800GTS 320MB and 9800GTX Plus. Most games benefited from the speed boosts of the 8800 and 9800 but splinter cell 2's shadows were broken (as expected).

Are there other games that are badly broken with this advancement in tech or is it kind of a non-issue? I'm seriously pondering whether or not I should have 2 PCI-E based XP machines 😜 The 6800GT I have on an AGP system can play this game (splinter cell 2) well at 1280x1024 so i dont -really- need the 7950, but its still good to have extra power.

Reply 165 of 241, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
foil_fresh wrote on 2020-07-03, 03:22:

"best" winXP card is tough because some games are broken when going from the nvidia 7xxx series to the 8xxx series due to the introduction of unified shaders vs the older shader model 3.0. I got a pc case recently that had a bunch of usable stuff inside, perfect for XP. Athlon II X2 4800+ running on an Asus M2N SLI Deluxe so it became my XP pc for the time being.

I tested out: 7950GT OC 256mb, 8800GTS 320MB and 9800GTX Plus. Most games benefited from the speed boosts of the 8800 and 9800 but splinter cell 2's shadows were broken (as expected).

Are there other games that are badly broken with this advancement in tech or is it kind of a non-issue? I'm seriously pondering whether or not I should have 2 PCI-E based XP machines 😜 The 6800GT I have on an AGP system can play this game (splinter cell 2) well at 1280x1024 so i dont -really- need the 7950, but its still good to have extra power.

Pandora's Tomorrow? So not only does Splinter Cell not show proper shadows above a GF4 but Pandora's tomorrow shadows break above a 7000 series? So ridiculous. At this point I'd probably rather play them on XBOX. I have a G4 ti4200 but I don't feel like making a build with it for 1 game.

Reply 166 of 241, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
infiniteclouds wrote on 2020-07-03, 04:22:

Pandora's Tomorrow? So not only does Splinter Cell not show proper shadows above a GF4 but Pandora's tomorrow shadows break above a 7000 series? So ridiculous. At this point I'd probably rather play them on XBOX. I have a G4 ti4200 but I don't feel like making a build with it for 1 game.

you can play them on the Xbox, which works well, but it's 480P, the Xbox One can also run it via backwards compatibility, and it seems to work well, 1280x960 on the standard model and 4K on the Xbox One X, also it forces AF16x I think, probably the best way to play this!?

on the PC you can look for compatible hardware or I guess use dgVoodoo?

Reply 167 of 241, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hmm, iirc the original splinter cell was running fine (well, seemed fine to me) on the 6800gt... i might need to do some more fiddling.

yeah, regarding the build for 1 game idea, that was kinda the point for the 7950 gt i bought. it was advertised as 512mb, and in order to play doom3/quake 4 on ultra you need 512mb. it was gonna be THE build. not too new, not too old, but with enough mem for the ultra id tech textures and compatiblity for splinter cell 2. finding out it was 256mb was an ultra kick in the pants.

I'm very lucky I had the 9800gtx+ handed down to me a while ago. funny story about this card, it's an MSI variant that's been used like in total, 6 hours. my mate bought it for his dad's media pc (LOL WTF) because they wanted some Dolby compatiblity and there were some screen stuttering issues that this card didn't fix. so it sat there at the bottom of a box doing nothing for a decade until it came to me. it's definitely an amazing card. I've got a compatible 3.1ghz Athlon II X2 (2009) on the way from china (8 bucks!) which will give the computer more horsepower for the 2009 video card then i can really see what it can do.

Reply 168 of 241, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
foil_fresh wrote on 2020-07-03, 07:34:
hmm, iirc the original splinter cell was running fine (well, seemed fine to me) on the 6800gt... i might need to do some more fi […]
Show full quote

hmm, iirc the original splinter cell was running fine (well, seemed fine to me) on the 6800gt... i might need to do some more fiddling.

yeah, regarding the build for 1 game idea, that was kinda the point for the 7950 gt i bought. it was advertised as 512mb, and in order to play doom3/quake 4 on ultra you need 512mb. it was gonna be THE build. not too new, not too old, but with enough mem for the ultra id tech textures and compatiblity for splinter cell 2. finding out it was 256mb was an ultra kick in the pants.

I'm very lucky I had the 9800gtx+ handed down to me a while ago. funny story about this card, it's an MSI variant that's been used like in total, 6 hours. my mate bought it for his dad's media pc (LOL WTF) because they wanted some Dolby compatiblity and there were some screen stuttering issues that this card didn't fix. so it sat there at the bottom of a box doing nothing for a decade until it came to me. it's definitely an amazing card. I've got a compatible 3.1ghz Athlon II X2 (2009) on the way from china (8 bucks!) which will give the computer more horsepower for the 2009 video card then i can really see what it can do.

Splinter Cell 1 can run on newer cards but it won't use shadow buffers after FX cards and even on the FX cards it's partially broken - really a Geforce 3/4 is needed. I would say the OG XBOX versions are probably the best if you're taking more into account than just resolution. I wonder though since someone mentioned it is playable on XBOX One if the effects are all intact?

Reply 169 of 241, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are a lot of games like Splinter Cell 1 that need a very specific video card to run their best.

The early XP/ late windows 98 era is where most of the trouble is. Most everything after about 2002 will run fine on anything. Even in modern windows with patches or no CD hacks.

Reply 170 of 241, by Unorthodactyl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hmm, iirc the original splinter cell was running fine (well, seemed fine to me) on the 6800gt... i might need to do some more fi […]
Show full quote

I picked up a beautiful black & gold inno3D 8800GT 512mb the other day for $2.00
Swear it has never been used even once! The PCIE contact pads don't have a single blemish.

Reply 171 of 241, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
infiniteclouds wrote on 2020-07-03, 20:21:
Show full quote

Splinter Cell 1 can run on newer cards but it won't use shadow buffers after FX cards and even on the FX cards it's partially broken - really a Geforce 3/4 is needed. I would say the OG XBOX versions are probably the best if you're taking more into account than just resolution. I wonder though since someone mentioned it is playable on XBOX One if the effects are all intact?

i'll have to find some footage to compare. i am very interested now and looking for a good excuse to buy a geforce 4...

edit: trusty old phil. first result on youtube search lmao

Reply 172 of 241, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, this may warrant a separate topic, but seeing the game mentioned here earlier, and given the rest of this topic, I'll give it a go...

Basically: trying to play SystemShock2 on a Nvidia GTX780Ti.... problems solvable or just forget it ?

Been finally putting together an overkill WinXp PC, man was that a lot of work...

So, while now just testing it's capabilites, seems like 2D-games (well, the single one I've tried/MasterOrion2) is ok.
But 3D-games of yore is another matter entirely...

Plonked down my 'portable' SS2-directory and just hit the exe-file. Gets me to the menu, but loading any saves ends with XP telling me:
- "ERROR: Direct3d device driver does not accurately report texture memory usage. Contact your 3d accellerator vendor for updated drivers."
...yeah right.... 😝

So, apparantly playing this on a GTX670 works on Win7 even (according to some interweb snippets I browsed just now), but a GTX780 = forbidden ? Driver related I'm sure, but....

I was a bit frugal with the driver install, not picking the utmost modern/latest one, but still quite new (352.86) - but me guessing it is no point in trying out some older ones (lowest usable? for this card is probably 330ish etc, which came with the card/CD).

--> Anyone know of a simple solution ? Or a not so simple one even ?

Sure, I can play it on my (much) less 'modern' PCs, but was hoping it at least would work here as well, albeit with graphical glitches or whatnot, on this machine....

---

PS: FYI - this game is a (ported) install from the original CD. Might be a 'solution' to get a GOG-version, but even it that worked(?), I still want to figure how to make the original work as well.

Reply 173 of 241, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Basically: trying to play SystemShock2 on a Nvidia GTX780Ti.... problems solvable or just forget it ?

GOG release or fanmade patches. GOG release is preferable.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 174 of 241, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fixed! 😎

Had to add the line "safe_texture_manager" at the end of the 'cam.cfg' file...

AND, then also to set process affinity in taskmanager (for the live* 'SShock2.exe' process) to 1 single CPU...
(*: after starting the game, and getting to the menu, but before loading any savegames)

Reply 175 of 241, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In my testing I found 980 Ti works just as well as 960 under Windows XP. All you need is a an easy INF mod. More info with screenshots: Re: Win98/XP multi-boot on "modern" P55 chipset (BUILD LOG)

98/XP multi-boot system with P55 chipset (build log)
Screenshots
10Hz FM

Reply 176 of 241, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh yes, this was the best winxp video card thread, I honestly thought I'm replying to another one for a while now... Maybe I actually was and the discussion got moved here once already and I didn't notice 😀 Best winXP video card? That's kinda obvious, Maxwell 980Ti / Titan X would be by far the fastest, and on AMD's side it's the Radeon HD 7970 / R9 280X. It's a different question whether they're 100% compatible with all winXP games, but as far as performance goes, it's obviously these that are best.

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 178 of 241, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote on 2021-01-16, 14:24:

Thanks vetz, much appreciated!

God Of Gaming wrote on 2021-01-15, 21:38:

Oh yes, this was the best winxp video card thread, I honestly thought I'm replying to another one for a while now... Maybe I actually was and the discussion got moved here once already and I didn't notice 😀 Best winXP video card? That's kinda obvious, Maxwell 980Ti / Titan X would be by far the fastest, and on AMD's side it's the Radeon HD 7970 / R9 280X. It's a different question whether they're 100% compatible with all winXP games, but as far as performance goes, it's obviously these that are best.

I think there is no benefit with Titan in XP so 980 Ti is probably the fastest one (by a very small margin). Good thing there is plenty of them in circulation thanks to the mining craze back then, should be a popular choice for high-end XP gaming in the coming years. I am not yet sure what to expect from it in terms of wider range of compatibility but so far so good.

98/XP multi-boot system with P55 chipset (build log)
Screenshots
10Hz FM

Reply 179 of 241, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thing with 980ti vs Titan X is, the reference Titan X is faster than the reference 980Ti, but the non-reference factory overclocked 980Tis are even faster. There's no non-reference Titan X-ses because Nvidia did not allow it, but theres some rare Gigabyte, Evga and Zotac variants of the Titan X, that came binned and overclocked, those would be at least as fast as overclocked 980Tis if not faster. I'm looking for one of those for a while now, but they rarelly show up and prices are at least twice higher than 980Ti prices, so, yeah. Neither practical nor really needed for a winXP build, but neither is a 980Ti really, even a 750Ti will do fine for that. Cards like these are for us enthusiasts that want to go stupidly overkill 😀 I'm in the middle of a build with a Xeon E5-1680v2 - 8-core unlocked ivy bridge, pretty much trying to go as ultimate as possible for XP while driver support is still present (you can go even higher on the cpu side without mobo drivers but Im not interested). I want the TItan for that purpose. Theres one on ebay right now but its 450 euros thats too much for me.

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project