do any one know what is it for

Attachments

Reply 1 of 9, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like some kind of a Raid card with cache memory

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 2 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quick search for Altera Apex reveals that it's a development board from Intel.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 9, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Altera Apex are FPGAs - programmed for a specific product by the manufacturer, so identifying the FPGA doesn't indentify the card. Have the markings on the Intel looking IC been removed? The connector is a 5W2. I've seen them on lab equipment and RF gear, but I can't find anything else identifiable in the picture - any markings on the back of the card? The software on the HDD (if it's still intact) will propably identify it.

Reply 4 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like some Zero Channel RAID, which provides RAID and cache functionality to the onboard SCSI interface.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 5 of 9, by jokker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Certainly does have the look of a hardware development board with the FPGA's, what looks like an output to an analyzer and onboard RAM. That unmarked IC with possible debug points looks very much like an unmarked Intel CPU (486/Pentium era maybe?)

So maybe a CPU development board?

Reply 6 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think it is a CPU development board.

1. That is a PCI-X card..so way newer.
2. The Altera chips don't mean it is a development board.
3. The big chip that look like a CPU is pretty common... such as in old raid cards.
4. If it was a CPU development board, the CPU would 100% not be soldered on.

From the plug, it looks like some sort of video processing or capture card.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2020-08-30, 15:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 9, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whether or not it's a RAID card, it's definitely an i/o card of some sort, as the connector on the bottom right of the lower image says RS232, which makes it a COM port connector. As dr.ido asked, can you post a pic of the reverse of the card? That might help narrow it down.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 8 of 9, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, what is the rear panel connector?

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 9 of 9, by mdog69

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Look for a HP product code - usually in the form of A1234 or A1244B (thats letter+4 digits or letter+4 digits+letter) Might yield something.

By the way the connector on the left is a "5W2" (compare with a 13w3 sgi/sun video connector if you want to know what one looks like)