VOGONS

First post, by Quadrachewski

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm talking about the F54FAC. I have a 3COM ethernet bus master adapter with that chip missing.
It looks essential but what is it?

Attachments

• a.jpg
    Filename
    a.jpg
    File size
    202.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • b.jpg
    Filename
    b.jpg
    File size
    310.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 10, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That chip seems to be the SAPROM, the station address PROM that contains the MAC address for the card. The printed label "F54FAC" most likely is the last three bytes of the MAC address contained in this chip, and the smaller 02608C is the vendor part of the MAC address. According to the IEEE OUI database, 02-60-8c is indeed assigned to 3com. This makes me wonder, because as I know it, the bit with value 02 in the first byte indicates a "private", "self-assigned" MAC address (just like the 10.x.x.x or 192.68.x.x IP addresses), so addresses like this should not be in the database.

You can possibly use the card without that chip (unless card detection fails), and might be able to force a valid MAC address using a driver option. A likely model number of that chip is (results of a google search for dip-20 PROMs by phillips) is 82S135.

Reply 4 of 10, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote on 2020-09-09, 06:24:

Looks like a standard PAL/GAL chip too... I wonder if 3com decided to copy protect it?

It's too bad that most programmers applied readout protection automatically in their "production run" setting that automates program, verify and maybe even running some test vectors. I guess that's why you find very few non-protected PAL/GAL chips on commercial hardware. I still maintain this chip on this card being a simple (P)ROM, though. So, no read protection to worry about.

Reply 8 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

got some time between class assignments

https://imgur.com/PgIDB5D

the chip's datasheet is ehre: https://www.datasheets360.com/pdf/8888944047117266061

A BIPOLAR PROM is a memory chip which typically contains a small amount of data, however the access time is very fast. These memory chips store the bits of data by blowing small fuses inside the memory device. Once they are programmed they cannot be changed. The term BIPOLAR reflects the transistor technology used in the manufacturing process.

I also checked my programmer and it cannot read these chips, but there is light https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oyO7Q_yWLQ i dont have the adapter he has

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 9 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a device that can read and program those chips (TopMax II), but logistics are a problem...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜