VOGONS

Post pics of your CRT monitors

Topic actions

Reply 440 of 540, by Uedx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What a thing Matte20, as I pressed the button to go to the last page of this thread I wondered if there would be a Gateway VX monitor, and there it was!

This Gateway VX1120 and the Brother CT-1050 are the only monitors I currently possess.

If I could get a certain computer monitor, then it would be a Zenith one.

lawexi.JPG

g14faq.JPG

Reply 442 of 540, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My philips 19" flatscreen was taken in for repairs last week. He called me up to let me know that he's having issues finding a flyback converter/transformer to replace the one that shorted. What are the odds that he won't find one? Are these things only built to fit one model or are generic ones available?

Reply 443 of 540, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I finally got a table in the basement! 😁

I immediately took that opportunity to quickly set up one of my most prized posessions, my original CRT monitor from 1988 that I used on our first PC and up until at least 1996, so it has seen a lot of use :3
It's an EIZO Flexscan 8060S monitor.
...always been yellowed like that ever since it went into storage more than 20 years ago, it has since lived in the same closet through several moves as well, I now took it out to let it see the light again and just appreciate it, I thought I'd share ^^

I do not intend to clean it further than just removing dust, nor do I plan on retrobrighting it, this is my monitor and that's how it aged 😀
I also don't dare to plug it in yet, as it has sat unpowered for decades and I do not want to fry anything, I might try and take it apart some time to check the capacitors first.

but it being my original monitor is not the only reason why I treasure it so much, I may not have realized it back in the day, but it is also a really good and special monitor, it supports 15KHz-35KHz multiscan TTL and RGB, the original VGA plug converter is still attached to the cable, it was originally first used with an EGA card.

the keyboard I got on ebay a while ago, it is also the same keyboard model we had back then 😀

EIZO8060S_01.jpg
Filename
EIZO8060S_01.jpg
File size
497.85 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
EIZO8060S_02.jpg
Filename
EIZO8060S_02.jpg
File size
357.51 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
EIZO8060Sori.jpg
Filename
EIZO8060Sori.jpg
File size
484.96 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by imi on 2020-09-21, 23:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 444 of 540, by Montaron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As a collector of multisync 15khz+ monitors, I like!

I feel these 15" good quality shadow mask CRTs are perfect for DOS gaming. I actually notice less phosphor retention/ghosting on them compared to a 'modern' Trinitron.

Ye already be disturbed; now leave me be. Yer company be toil enough as is.

Reply 446 of 540, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is really great that you managed to hold on to it! I wish I still had my first CGA monitor from 1987...

I think you should just power it on and play games already, don't be a chicken 😆

PS: really cool that you have a picture from it back in the day. I also remember having a lamp like that on my desk - classic '80s!

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 448 of 540, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote on 2020-10-04, 12:20:
Latest additions to my collection :lol: […]
Show full quote

Latest additions to my collection 🤣

22" ViewSonic P227f
17" Sony G200

https://i.imgur.com/OuoOzdG.jpg

OuoOzdGl.jpg

Yummy! Are the tubes still in decent condition?

Reply 450 of 540, by HarryUK1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My VIGLEN ENVY 14PE I own that currently doesn't work as I'm repairing it's faulty power supply! 😀

Attachments

• 7p77b6d0f4r51.jpg
    Filename
    7p77b6d0f4r51.jpg
    File size
    588.08 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Monitor
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 451 of 540, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote on 2020-10-04, 19:18:

They are. Although the Sony's anti-reflective coating is a bit scratched. Not much of an issue when you use it.

That coating had "gone off" in a NOS Sony screen I found a while back - darkened the whole image. I painstakingly cleaned it all off and the image was nice and bright, but the tube was then super reflective!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 452 of 540, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I probably won't try to remove it. But it's a shame as all of my Sony monitors have at least some of it scratched 🙁

I forgot to photo another monitor... Samsung SyncMaster 757NF - will do it later. It also has a bit of coating scratched 🙁

From all the monitors I'll pick two or three for daily use with retro computers when I get my man-cave ready... I don't know what will I do with the rest 🤣

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 453 of 540, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gonna say that when I used to be TV/monitor repair technician in our shop they came across interestingly stuff.

Oh SONY PVM CRT:

Very well made inside and out, and they were made to be transported all the time.

Also came across one very high end 17" or 20" monitor (didn't remember the brand, that needed repair with 3W3 connector and 5 connections along with regular 15 pin. What a beauty, and very uniquely thing is a compass sensor that deguasses (deguassing coil) the CRT automatically after turning the CRT around.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 454 of 540, by HandOfFate

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote on 2020-10-06, 10:35:
kixs wrote on 2020-10-04, 19:18:

They are. Although the Sony's anti-reflective coating is a bit scratched. Not much of an issue when you use it.

That coating had "gone off" in a NOS Sony screen I found a while back - darkened the whole image. I painstakingly cleaned it all off and the image was nice and bright, but the tube was then super reflective!

> BADMOJO used REMOVE COATING!

> It's super reflective!

Am486 DX4 120MHz, no L2, 16MB, Tseng ET4000/W32 1MB VLB, ESS ES1869 /// 5x86 133MHz, 256kb L2, 64MB, S3 Virge/DX 4MB PCI, SB16 + Yucatan FX, PicoGUS /// Pentium III 1GHz, 512MB, Asus V7700 64MB AGP, SB Live!

Reply 456 of 540, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HandOfFate wrote on 2020-10-07, 09:40:

> BADMOJO used REMOVE COATING!

> It's super reflective!

Lol who knew? I knew I was surprised because I could see myself looking surprised.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 457 of 540, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

22" ViewSonic P227f
17" Sony G200

OuoOzdGl.jpg

Just wondering, does your ViewSonic give out a loud 'bang' every time it is turned on ?
Mine does, and have done that since I bought it brand new in box... Not sure if I should worry etc...
Seems fine otherwise, so... (?)

And, what month/year is yours from ?

PS: and in what kind of marvellous shop did you find these monitors ?!
As I notice they even have SEVERAL Voodoo 5500 AGP for sale, on the shelves in the background there...?!! 😮

Reply 458 of 540, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bestemor wrote on 2020-10-15, 15:02:
Just wondering, does your ViewSonic give out a loud 'bang' every time it is turned on ? Mine does, and have done that since I bo […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

22" ViewSonic P227f
17" Sony G200

OuoOzdGl.jpg

Just wondering, does your ViewSonic give out a loud 'bang' every time it is turned on ?
Mine does, and have done that since I bought it brand new in box... Not sure if I should worry etc...
Seems fine otherwise, so... (?)

And, what month/year is yours from ?

PS: and in what kind of marvellous shop did you find these monitors ?!
As I notice they even have SEVERAL Voodoo 5500 AGP for sale, on the shelves in the background there...?!! 😮

I'm going to take a wild guess as I had a CRT that did the same thing. It probably does a degauss on every power on.

Reply 459 of 540, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, maybe, but it sounds somewhat different (and much louder) from when I actually actively use the degauss button, hence my question...
AND, my other monitors does NOT do that (or ANY crt monitor I've ever encountered), power-on degauss I mean... which makes it hard to compare.

So, it'd be just nice to know if this particular model really has a forced degauss on start-up.
(or if it is something else)