VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by armani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know what to do at this point to be honest.

I just want to play Gearhead Garage, but it does not run on Windows 10 64-bit, not even under compatibility settings.

I set up my own Windows 98 VM through VirtualBox and attempted to create a shared folder from my VM to my main OS so I can put the game files in and install/launch the game from my VM. However, I think my university Wi-Fi has a firewall which blocks me from doing so, because it does not seem to work.

I tried to install using a InstallShield 32-bit installer. That did not work.

I also tried using WineVDM, which I currently have installed on my laptop. Nope, does not work. I am always getting the error with something along the lines of "Setup requires a different version of Windows."

Can anyone lend a hand here, I really want to play this game! My Voodoo3 computer that I play these kind of games on is at my house.

Reply 2 of 3, by armani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to bump this thread almost a year later and finally say that I managed to get it working on Windows 10 thanks to a GOG user called "pkkilleru." This is an especially hard game and a weird outlier to get running, so I think this thread should be up for everyone to see who wants to play this game.

Here's how I/they did it in case anyone is interested.

1. Download Gearhead Garage from somewhere.
2. Install the game regularly (if install hangs, go to Properties and use Windows 98 compatibility settings + Run as Administrator).
3. After installation, go to http://www.gearheadgarage.com/updates.htm and install the "Stand Alone Updater."
4. After going through the Stand Alone Updater and installing all the updates for it, find ANOTHER game that has another d3d.vd file. What was suggested to use for this was Nelson Piquet's Grand Prix Evolution. Go to Data -> Drivers in the main NPGPE game files. Apparently GHG's d3d.vd was causing the crashing for Windows 8 and Windows 10 users who managed to get it somewhat working.
5. I copied the d3d.vd from NPGPE and went into C:/Program Files(x86)/HeadGames/Gearhead Garage/Data and replaced the d3d.vd in there.
6. Before launching the game, go to the Properties of the main game executable (or shortcut if applicable), go into Compatibility settings, and check off "Run as Administrator," and compatibility run it under Windows XP SP2.
7. Launch the game. It should work like a charm.

Reply 3 of 3, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
armani wrote on 2020-09-23, 04:36:
I want to bump this thread almost a year later and finally say that I managed to get it working on Windows 10 thanks to a GOG us […]
Show full quote

I want to bump this thread almost a year later and finally say that I managed to get it working on Windows 10 thanks to a GOG user called "pkkilleru." This is an especially hard game and a weird outlier to get running, so I think this thread should be up for everyone to see who wants to play this game.

Here's how I/they did it in case anyone is interested.

1. Download Gearhead Garage from somewhere.
2. Install the game regularly (if install hangs, go to Properties and use Windows 98 compatibility settings + Run as Administrator).
3. After installation, go to http://www.gearheadgarage.com/updates.htm and install the "Stand Alone Updater."
4. After going through the Stand Alone Updater and installing all the updates for it, find ANOTHER game that has another d3d.vd file. What was suggested to use for this was Nelson Piquet's Grand Prix Evolution. Go to Data -> Drivers in the main NPGPE game files. Apparently GHG's d3d.vd was causing the crashing for Windows 8 and Windows 10 users who managed to get it somewhat working.
5. I copied the d3d.vd from NPGPE and went into C:/Program Files(x86)/HeadGames/Gearhead Garage/Data and replaced the d3d.vd in there.
6. Before launching the game, go to the Properties of the main game executable (or shortcut if applicable), go into Compatibility settings, and check off "Run as Administrator," and compatibility run it under Windows XP SP2.
7. Launch the game. It should work like a charm.

Well I needed this for my thread of playable games on Windows 10 😀

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058