Common searches

8-Bit Guy video's are becoming a chore!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 87, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
newtmonkey wrote on 2020-11-20, 11:05:

I think I noticed a change with him after he put up (and then took down) that ridiculous AI video... I know he got a LOT of grief over that and I wonder if it might have soured him a bit on his fanbase or Youtube in general.

I think it was around the same time at the end of one of his donation unboxing videos he had to plead with viewers to stop sending him junk.

As for the AI video; it seems odd he had the balls to record himself declaring he could sit down and create AI if he really wanted to, but not to stand by that statement when the (presumably unforseen) audience reaction was negative. From what I can remember of it before he pulled the video, he did make some interesting points but they were lost amongst the more ridiculous claims. What could have been a video to stimulate discussion and debate instead became the 'social media' reality of being bombarded with negative comments day after day. Is it any wonder he's soured?

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 22 of 87, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm gonna be honest and admit that I never found 8Bit Guy to be that passionate or enthusiastic about the hobby to begin with. Especially to someone coming from LGR, like I did.

Should just re name himself to the Commodore Guy and stop trying to focus on things he has no curiosity for. Atleast to my memory that's what I last remember him being most into

If your gonna make this a living, you have to make it something you atleast give the slightest shite about. Otherwise no one is having fun.

Reply 23 of 87, by held

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, this thread took off.

What a relief! It isn't me, so its the full-time job and the money.
Makes perfect sense, no wonder he lacks authenticity and passion.

I think they are running out of material although I must admit I can always watch a good restore with retrobrightning 😎

Reply 24 of 87, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Look at it this way: Dave was able to drop his dayjob and go full time YouTube. However YouTube is not a steady income. You are dependent on the „algorithm“ and how the viewers watch your videos. Will they skip ads or use ad blockers? No money for you. Will Google change payouts? Less money for you. Your only way out: produce more videos, try to gain Patreons to get a reliable income.

Or: what Dave is doing. Produce other things. Currently he is working on PET Robots. A game for ALL Commodore 8 bit machines. Similarly to Planet X2 and X3 before he will eventually sell it in commercial form. It is pretty far along in development. So that also bites into his video production, which has to pay for his day to day bills I guess.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 25 of 87, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bondi wrote on 2020-11-20, 11:07:

Overall I agree that 8 bit guy's videos lost the initial freshness. Maybe this is due to the big load and also the recent fail with IBM prototype. Of course, becoming pure business has it's impact as well. But I believe he still has potential, his new game project looks very promising. I also like that he tries to do things outside the "clean and repair" topic. Like the videos about IT companies in Texas.
On a different note, I've been watching Adrian's Digital Basement videos recently and really enjoyed them. The true enthusiasm is there and narration is really pleasing. He resides in US, but his english sounds canadian, which is music to my ears.
His content is more complicated if compared with 8 bit guy, let alone LGR. But If interpreting oscilloscope readings does not scare you then it's worth checking out.

Yea Adrian's DB is a great channel ... as you said he is very knowledgeable especially on the electronics troubleshooting side.

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 26 of 87, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
drosse1meyer wrote on 2020-11-20, 21:05:

Yea Adrian's DB is a great channel ... as you said he is very knowledgeable especially on the electronics troubleshooting side.

Agreed. His soldering technique is mediocre but at least he understands the fundamentals of EE

Reply 27 of 87, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-11-20, 21:26:
drosse1meyer wrote on 2020-11-20, 21:05:

Agreed. His soldering technique is mediocre but at least he understands the fundamentals of EE

Yea I was going to say - it seems like he has an EE or CSE degree or similar education

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 28 of 87, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Carrera wrote on 2020-11-20, 11:24:
Subscription=$€ To subscribe you must log on. When you log on they know who you are When they know who you are they can find you […]
Show full quote

Subscription=$€
To subscribe you must log on.
When you log on they know who you are
When they know who you are they can find you.
When the find you they force feed your pets high-carbohydrate food.

I have no pets so the joke is on them.. HA! 😁

I am subscribed to a ton of different channels. Mostly musicians, but I have a good number of IT related channels as well.

That being said, I would love to drop my day job and go full-time youtube. IMO it would make my life way more chill.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 29 of 87, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-11-20, 21:36:

That being said, I would love to drop my day job and go full-time youtube. IMO it would make my life way more chill.

I've never understood why anyone would want to put all their eggs in one basket, especially after 2008. It reminds me of the Blip.tv days when there was an explosion of channels with questionable understanding of fair use who quit their day jobs for those sweet ad-supported payslips... right up until Blip folded and they found themselves back at YouTube's uninviting door.

Anyway, it seems like once a channel goes 'full-time YouTube' the volume of output actually drops as instead they're streaming everyday on Twitch where they can rake in donations; maybe uploading the highlights to YouTube to eek out a little more ad money.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 30 of 87, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Big Pink wrote on 2020-11-20, 22:30:
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-11-20, 21:36:

I've never understood why anyone would want to put all their eggs in one basket, especially after 2008. It reminds me of the Blip.tv days when there was an explosion of channels with questionable understanding of fair use who quit their day jobs for those sweet ad-supported payslips... right up until Blip folded and they found themselves back at YouTube's uninviting door.

Anyway, it seems like once a channel goes 'full-time YouTube' the volume of output actually drops as instead they're streaming everyday on Twitch where they can rake in donations; maybe uploading the highlights to YouTube to eek out a little more ad money.

If I were to attempt it, I would have other projects going on at the same time as well. I also would not be Twitch streaming. What would be the point of that for probably mostly a hardware / software review channel?

I do have some other ideas so I could / would probably have multiple channels. In any case, it is more of a pipe dream at this point.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 31 of 87, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If The8bit guy makes a video about something special or something that have my interrest, then I will watch it. Else I dont tune in to his channel.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 32 of 87, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bondi wrote on 2020-11-20, 11:07:

Overall I agree that 8 bit guy's videos lost the initial freshness. Maybe this is due to the big load and also the recent fail with IBM prototype. Of course, becoming pure business has it's impact as well. But I believe he still has potential, his new game project looks very promising. I also like that he tries to do things outside the "clean and repair" topic. Like the videos about IT companies in Texas.
On a different note, I've been watching Adrian's Digital Basement videos recently and really enjoyed them. The true enthusiasm is there and narration is really pleasing. He resides in US, but his english sounds canadian, which is music to my ears.
His content is more complicated if compared with 8 bit guy, let alone LGR. But If interpreting oscilloscope readings does not scare you then it's worth checking out.

I find Adrians Digital Basement and Jan Beta more interresting than 8bit guy. Other great ones are Retrocengo, although it is about Amiga and Commodore64. Then there are GadgetUK164 and Nostalgia Nerd. Nostalgia nerd makes great videoes if Octavius kitten joins him. She just Troll's him so much. 😁

Reply 33 of 87, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote on 2020-11-22, 09:46:

I find Adrians Digital Basement and Jan Beta more interresting than 8bit guy. Other great ones are Retrocengo, although it is about Amiga and Commodore64. Then there are GadgetUK164 and Nostalgia Nerd. Nostalgia nerd makes great videoes if Octavius kitten joins him. She just Troll's him so much. 😁

Maybe it's not the right place to ask, but and are there any good german speaking retro youtubers there? I try to keep my german alive somehow. I know Tuhl Teim DE but he's focused on more modern hardware.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 34 of 87, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bondi wrote on 2020-11-23, 12:00:

Maybe it's not the right place to ask, but and are there any good german speaking retro youtubers there? I try to keep my german alive somehow. I know Tuhl Teim DE but he's focused on more modern hardware.

I would actually love to make a German spinoff of my English YT channel, however I don't have the time and resources at the moment. But you might want to follow me, for when I actually get the time to make this a reality. 😀

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 35 of 87, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
held wrote on 2020-11-19, 19:48:

I've been watching the last video's of the 8-bit guy, and it feels like he has to do them.
Its not fun to watch anymore and I catch myself stopping them a couple of minutes in.
Its depressing to watch and feels like a chore.

Always felt like that with him.
While he managed to sell his badly googled knowledge and retrobrite marathons quite well a while back, his resignation is getting more and more obvious.
I'm sorry to say, but it shows if you're not fully passionate about the stuff you're presenting.
He should concentrate on music and programming vids, but I guess those don't throw off so much sweet, sweet youtube money. There are very few youtubers that have managed to go fulltime, yet maintain their level of quality (apart from the production value of the presentation maybe).
LGR is another offender in that category.

I have mixed feelings about Jan Beta but would still recommend him, Adrian is definitely a guy who got his things right.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 36 of 87, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bondi wrote on 2020-11-23, 12:00:

I have come across a few. However they are mostly about Commodore stuff such as Amiga.
There is a channel called "Stefans Amiga Welt". It is not top pro like LGR and stuff.

Reply 38 of 87, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shock__ wrote on 2020-11-23, 12:37:
Always felt like that with him. While he managed to sell his badly googled knowledge and retrobrite marathons quite well a while […]
Show full quote
held wrote on 2020-11-19, 19:48:

I've been watching the last video's of the 8-bit guy, and it feels like he has to do them.
Its not fun to watch anymore and I catch myself stopping them a couple of minutes in.
Its depressing to watch and feels like a chore.

Always felt like that with him.
While he managed to sell his badly googled knowledge and retrobrite marathons quite well a while back, his resignation is getting more and more obvious.
I'm sorry to say, but it shows if you're not fully passionate about the stuff you're presenting.
He should concentrate on music and programming vids, but I guess those don't throw off so much sweet, sweet youtube money. There are very few youtubers that have managed to go fulltime, yet maintain their level of quality (apart from the production value of the presentation maybe).
LGR is another offender in that category.

I have mixed feelings about Jan Beta but would still recommend him, Adrian is definitely a guy who got his things right.

He did mention briefly in one of his video's, that he would love to start a museum at some point.

Reply 39 of 87, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KainXVIII wrote on 2020-11-23, 12:43:

8-but guy has more fun with carrying guns in shops than making his videos.

If I went to Texas and didn't see people walking around with guns I'd be totally disappointed.

Is this too much voodoo?