VOGONS

First post, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am looking for a PCI-Express sound card with gameport. I found one image on internet but I cannot find the model no.
Does anyone know where can I buy one? Thanks.

Attachments

• 769_0.png
    Filename
    769_0.png
    File size
    353.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 22, by brownk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can google "PCI-Express Soundcard CMI8738-LX" and the product link is on top of the 1st page.

It seems to be a soundcard for AmigaOS, using CMI8738-LX.

CMI8738.png
Filename
CMI8738.png
File size
334.14 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Interestingly, CMI8738 is a PCI bus based chip with "SBPro" compatibility. I suppose the 2nd square chip sitting right next to 8738 handles PCIE <-> PCI conversion.

CMI provides Win XP, 2000, & 7 drivers, but I'm not 100% sure the card works on Windows.

Reply 3 of 22, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does this mean that a regular CMI8738 PCI sound card should work just fine with one of the PCI to PCIe adapters.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 22, by tyukok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this one: https://www.newegg.com/sedna-se-pcie-sc-06/p/2GA-0003-00001
Seems to be in stock right now.

Errius wrote on 2020-12-03, 02:24:

Microsoft dropped game port support in Vista. Such devices are shown in Windows 7 Device Manager as "Unsupported Standard Game Port".

Yes, but, as I recently found out, you can still use it as a MIDI interface. If you open MIDIMapper Configurator, you'll see an option for MPU-401. This is it.

Reply 7 of 22, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Microsoft dropped game port support in Vista. Such devices are shown in Windows 7 Device Manager as "Unsupported Standard Game Port".

Looks like you can at least get the Creative Labs cards gameport working in Windows 7 32-bit and possibly all the the way up to Windows 10 64-bit:
https://www.freegameempire.com/blog/post/Soun … -Windows-7.aspx

https://forum.hardwareheaven.com/threads/game … 64-bits.232924/

A gameport driver should not be all that difficult to make for other cards.

Keep in mind that at least some old gameport controllers are going to be speed sensitive and may not work properly or at all on a newer computer.

This happened when I bought a used Saitek x36 HOTAS setup that was the gameport only version.... years and years ago. I contacted Saitek and they told me it was because my computer was too fast. They had me send in the setup I had and sent me a gameport / USB set.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 22, by tyukok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brownk wrote on 2020-12-02, 15:30:

Interestingly, CMI8738 is a PCI bus based chip with "SBPro" compatibility. I suppose the 2nd square chip sitting right next to 8738 handles PCIE <-> PCI conversion.

CMI provides Win XP, 2000, & 7 drivers, but I'm not 100% sure the card works on Windows.

Indeed, this card is pretty basic - it's only a CMI8738-LX sound chip with ASM1083 PCIe to PCI bridge. I already have a similar PCIe card, same chips and everything, the only difference is the lack of gameport. It works fine in Windows 7, and, from what I heard, even in 10.

Reply 9 of 22, by brownk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-12-03, 15:11:
Looks like you can at least get the Creative Labs cards gameport working in Windows 7 32-bit and possibly all the the way up to […]
Show full quote

Looks like you can at least get the Creative Labs cards gameport working in Windows 7 32-bit and possibly all the the way up to Windows 10 64-bit:

tyukok wrote on 2020-12-03, 15:23:

Indeed, this card is pretty basic - it's only a CMI8738-LX sound chip with ASM1083 PCIe to PCI bridge. I already have a similar PCIe card, same chips and everything, the only difference is the lack of gameport. It works fine in Windows 7, and, from what I heard, even in 10.

holy mother of sweet god...

So... hypothetically, I can install one of these cards and plug a gameport joystick to my ryzen build? 😮

Reply 10 of 22, by Wanderer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-12-03, 15:11:
Looks like you can at least get the Creative Labs cards gameport working in Windows 7 32-bit and possibly all the the way up to […]
Show full quote

Keep in mind that at least some old gameport controllers are going to be speed sensitive and may not work properly or at all on a newer computer.

This happened when I bought a used Saitek x36 HOTAS setup that was the gameport only version.... years and years ago. I contacted Saitek and they told me it was because my computer was too fast. They had me send in the setup I had and sent me a gameport / USB set.

I followed the instructions in the 2nd link and installed two Creative Game Ports (of two Audigy cards) in Win 7 x64. Attached is a screenshot from the Device Manager.
Another driver included in Audigy Support Pack 7.0 (same version but slightly different size) also fits this way.
However, I don't have a joystick to test if it really works.

P.S. I can confirm that the corresponding MIDI ports are available and work fine even without gameport drivers.

Attachments

Last edited by Wanderer on 2020-12-03, 20:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 22, by LightStruk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seems like it would be simpler to use a USB-Gameport adapter. There's nothing particularly good about a CMI audio chip, and it's almost certainly not superior to the sound already integrated into a modern motherboard.

Reply 12 of 22, by tyukok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brownk wrote on 2020-12-03, 15:41:

holy mother of sweet god...

So... hypothetically, I can install one of these cards and plug a gameport joystick to my ryzen build? 😮

I'm not yet sure about a joystick working, since the card I'm currently using doesn't have a gameport, but I've ordered this exact card on Newegg, so I'll see if it works.

Reply 13 of 22, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tyukok wrote on 2020-12-03, 14:55:
I found this one: https://www.newegg.com/sedna-se-pcie-sc-06/p/2GA-0003-00001 Seems to be in stock right now. […]
Show full quote

I found this one: https://www.newegg.com/sedna-se-pcie-sc-06/p/2GA-0003-00001
Seems to be in stock right now.

Yes, but, as I recently found out, you can still use it as a MIDI interface. If you open MIDIMapper Configurator, you'll see an option for MPU-401. This is it.

Thanks @tyukok
Though based on the user review, the sound card sent by Sedna doesn't have the gameport:
https://www.newegg.com/Sedna/about

Attachments

• senda.png
    Filename
    senda.png
    File size
    74.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 22, by Xanarki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LightStruk wrote on 2020-12-03, 17:01:

Seems like it would be simpler to use a USB-Gameport adapter. There's nothing particularly good about a CMI audio chip, and it's almost certainly not superior to the sound already integrated into a modern motherboard.

I would be quite wary of this. Usually the Gameport-to-USB adapters are junk, and don't support most Gameport peripherals. At best, they'll convert it as a HID and will only allow 2 buttons/2 axis. So not only are the adapters useless for wheels or joysticks (because they have to translate the signals unlike simple gamepads), but they might not even work for typical controllers either.

There's a lot of adapters on eBay and Amazon though, so realistically, someone can buy 12 and will find that 1 will only work for their Thrustmaster Grand Prix, 1 will only partially work for their Microsoft Sidewinder, and the other 10 are paperweights. It's very hit-or-miss.

Reply 15 of 22, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Xanarki wrote on 2020-12-04, 17:16:
LightStruk wrote on 2020-12-03, 17:01:

I would be quite wary of this. Usually the Gameport-to-USB adapters are junk, and don't support most Gameport peripherals. At best, they'll convert it as a HID and will only allow 2 buttons/2 axis. So not only are the adapters useless for wheels or joysticks (because they have to translate the signals unlike simple gamepads), but they might not even work for typical controllers either.

There's a lot of adapters on eBay and Amazon though, so realistically, someone can buy 12 and will find that 1 will only work for their Thrustmaster Grand Prix, 1 will only partially work for their Microsoft Sidewinder, and the other 10 are paperweights. It's very hit-or-miss.

There are a few known good adapters. The cheap, junky ones are generally known to be pretty laggy as well.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16 of 22, by tyukok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sangokushi wrote on 2020-12-03, 21:57:

based on the user review, the sound card sent by Sedna doesn't have the gameport

Nice catch. I've cancelled the order, and instead ordered a PCI card with gameport on ebay. My motherboard has a PCI slot on a PCI to PCIe bridge, so the final result should be identical.

Reply 17 of 22, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For a Joystick to be recognized in Windows, it needs more files than just the gameport driver.

It also needs the control panel extension for the controller configuration and this was never ported to x64 versions of Windows.

32bit Gameport support was dropped after XP, but it still works on Vista+Win7 32bit (maybe later versions too), if you use the Gameport Support Pack from daniel_k. That essentially just brings back the files that were deleted after Vista.

Looks like it's pretty hard to find now, though. Apparently, Creative got sh*tty about it.

Edit: Found the installation tutorial. Sadly, the link is dead now. 😐
http://web.archive.org/web/20091024023515/htt … 2009/m-p/386462

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 18 of 22, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
schmatzler wrote on 2020-12-07, 02:02:
For a Joystick to be recognized in Windows, it needs more files than just the gameport driver. […]
Show full quote

For a Joystick to be recognized in Windows, it needs more files than just the gameport driver.

It also needs the control panel extension for the controller configuration and this was never ported to x64 versions of Windows.

32bit Gameport support was dropped after XP, but it still works on Vista+Win7 32bit (maybe later versions too), if you use the Gameport Support Pack from daniel_k. That essentially just brings back the files that were deleted after Vista.

Looks like it's pretty hard to find now, though. Apparently, Creative got sh*tty about it.

Edit: Found the installation tutorial. Sadly, the link is dead now. 😐
http://web.archive.org/web/20091024023515/htt … 2009/m-p/386462

Found a download for it:

Filename
Gameport_Vista.zip
File size
2.12 MiB
Downloads
268 downloads
File license
Public domain

It also includes the Microsoft gameport driver.

Edit: Here is a newer version:
https://archive.org/download/CreativeGameport … aPCIInputDevice

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19 of 22, by Shores

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone had luck with this topic? Indeed my Win10 x64 install includes joy.cpl (Win+R , joy.cpl, run), which is the game device configuration panel, and I've bought a Mayflash Super Joybox 7 , which gave me mixed results, not bad at all but not perfect: with an analog joystick with 2 axis, 4 buttons, POV stick, all these worked well, and when I switch a switch on the joystick I can turn off POV stick and have the throttle wheel work properly.
Mayflash says theyr adapter works even with Logitech ADI peripherals, but I still have to find my CyberMan 2 to test this.

Anyone managed to make a PCI-Express gameport card work in Windows 10 x64?

Thanks for any hint!

Everything that deserves to be done, should be done right.