My Dual Socket XP Build

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 28, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice! Loving the dual socket quad cores .. 😀

I have a Dell Precision T5400 in my pile at home, that I have a couple of E5462 laying around to put in .. Looking forward to have the time to play with that, and looking forward to hear more about your build!

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 22 of 28, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2020-12-04, 10:11:

IDK why CPU-Z shows a completely different revision number, and why that number remains the same. I guess this is a bug?

I suspect this is a "feature" (documented bug), what CPUZ labels "Revision" is not the CPU µCode Revision, but rather the textual stepping and assume CPUZ contains code similar to as below. Were CPUZ my program I would make it display Stepping 2 [B1] and rename Revision to µCode with the CPU µCode Revision being reported. I recall feeling Revision was ambiguous and making a similar changes to SIV around the same time as I added the display of the CPU µCode Revision date.

I use a 3rd party BIOS update for my ASUS P6X58D Premium system that contains the Revision 1F CPU µCode as the W7 mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll I have only contains the Gulftown 0F µCode dated 2010-06-18, I now wonder if there is an update for it.

switch( cpu->stepping )                                                   //
{ //
case 0: cpu->step = TEXT( " [A0]" ); break; // CPU Stepping
case 1: cpu->step = TEXT( " [B0]" ); break; //
case 2: cpu->step = TEXT( " [B1]" ); break; //
} //

Attachments

• CPU µCode Revision Date.png
    Filename
    CPU µCode Revision Date.png
    File size
    10.98 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    CPU µCode Revision Date
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by red-ray on 2020-12-16, 15:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 28, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Installed XP went smooth. I used the Gotek to install the Intel raid drivers rather then slipstream as I'm lazy. I also went to install the LSI raid drivers, nope XP setup doesn't like multiple disks it seems.
No big deal don't need access to the SAS drives till after XP is installed but good to know.

The Dell OEM Audigy card installed just fine using it's "special drivers" which means I can use toslink to connect it up to my speakers and not have to unplug anything.

I haven't really tried out its gaming performance. I quickly installed Farming Simulator 2013, my latest and probably most demanding game and it's happier on the S775 GTX590 setup.
My next newest game would be GTA SA and expect that to be fine, after that my games get alot less demanding.

Win7 was another story
I cant find a working Intel RAID driver. The HP's one doesn't work and everywhere else only seem to have the AHCI driver.
Bit disappointed but do have a another workstation build lined up that'll make for a better Win7 machine anyway.

Why not install on the LSI controller you ask? well funny story.
Figured I'd try that next but for the time was just using XP to play MP3's and already dumped some files on it for older PC's to access. anyway working away I started to hear the clock second hand ticking away in the background and thought nothing of it at first.
Then I remembered we don't have a clock that ticks in this room! sure enough the sound was coming from the PC and one of my SAS drives! Well that's that stripe array buggered! (and the exact reason anything on this will just be a 2nd copy)
I've more SAS drives in old servers so I may try again at some point but with Christmas coming up that'll have to wait. For now I've downgraded the ram 2 sticks for a total of4GB. but really its a cold day, its only playing MP3's and temp is about 60c I'm glad its winter!

Overall I'm calling the PC a success, I've wanted a 2 socket XP build for a while and this should cover that role really well and for a lot less money then my normal builds, still want Crossfire though 😉

Reply 24 of 28, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2020-12-16, 12:05:

Win7 was another story I cant find a working Intel RAID driver.

I have the Intel® Rapid Technology V13.6.0.1002 working on my X58/ICH10 W7 SP1 system and the system can also be boot XP SP3. Only .ZIP files can be attached so remove the .zip

Does the system need RST or RSTe? What is the Intel RAID controller Device ID? AFAIK 2822 is RST and 2826 is RSTe, further some BIOSes allow this to be set.

Attachments

Reply 25 of 28, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Device ID is 2682 which according to the driver disk during XP setup is a 631xESB/632xESB Raid controller.

How do you use the driver in Win7 setup? I assumed extract the cab file to disk but that didn't work for the versions I tired previously (haven't tried yours yet)
I'm assuming that's correct and didn't work simply as the drivers aren't correct for the hardware

Reply 26 of 28, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2020-12-17, 13:09:

Device ID is 2682 which according to the driver disk during XP setup is a 631xESB/632xESB Raid controller.

I got confused by Errius's post into thinking this was a Westmere/Gulftown system when it not.

Looking at https://www.drvhub.net/devices/controllers/in … raid-controller I suspect you may me limited to Version: 10.1.5.1001, but V8.6.2.1014 should work.

chinny22 wrote on 2020-12-17, 13:09:

How do you use the driver in Win7 setup? I assumed extract the cab file to disk but that didn't work for the versions I tired previously (haven't tried yours yet)
I'm assuming that's correct and didn't work simply as the drivers aren't correct for the hardware

I installed Windows 7 x64 Ultimate using my MSDN DVD on that system on Tuesday 07-Dec-2010 and can't really remember how I did it. I expect I initially installed an earlier release of RST and created the RAID 1 Mirror that is the system disk in the BIOS.

I just booted the MSDN Disc 461.8.01 August 2011 DVD from the TSSTcorp DVD-ROM SH-D163A that is connected via the Marvell 88SE914D SATA-600 Controller and the Intel Matrix Manager Driver V8.6.2.1014 was already there and it found all my RAID volumes 😀.

I noticed that V8.6.2.1014 reports incorrect speeds and the attached screen shots show later drivers do better.

Attachments

• REG-XP.png
    Filename
    REG-XP.png
    File size
    38.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • REG-W7.png
    Filename
    REG-W7.png
    File size
    93.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    CSMI.txt
    File size
    2.91 KiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File comment
    Intel Matrix Manager Driver V8.6.2.1014 was already there and it found all my RAID volumes
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 27 of 28, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So what does a PC that does no gaming need? Crossfire of course!
Not only does this not have a single games installed, I don't even own any games that support crossfire.
but sex appeal has gone up especially with that transparent red cooler

Inside.jpg

Cost me just under £20 inc shipping so not a big deal, even came with the original box. I was only looking for XFX trying to get an identical pair but they are slightly different.
4890x2.jpg

my "new" one doesn't have a red PCB or DVI ports, ah well close enough

4890x2-Back.jpg

So now I've got a 2 GPU, 2 CPU, 8 thread workstation and still useless for mining, guess I'll gave to start gaming on this now