VOGONS

ATX I/O shield models for 3D printing

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 73, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No customs fees yet, that will start after the end of this year 🙁 £15 is a fair price, I'd expect a higher cost anywhere else. Thanks. I'll message you.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 41 of 73, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At Thermalwrong's suggestion, I raised the edges of the AT I/O plate a millimeter, to make them more flexible and hopefully work better with PLA.

I did not make the grips smaller though, since there's some I/O plate hole size variance between cases. It's easy enough to sand them down if necessary. Sanding them also gives the additional benefit of a smoother surface without layer ridges, which will make installation easier.

It'll of course also work with other materials. Should be a little bit easier to install than the original version, it might not sit as safely in the case due to the increased flexibility though.

If you print this, please tell me how it worked, and if further adjustments are necessary 😀

Pics with comparison + .STL file attached.

Attachments

• ATIOPLA.jpg
    Filename
    ATIOPLA.jpg
    File size
    79.66 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Original.jpg
    Filename
    Original.jpg
    File size
    26.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Adjusted.jpg
    Filename
    Adjusted.jpg
    File size
    28.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Filename
    ATIOPLA.zip
    File size
    162.05 KiB
    Downloads
    198 downloads
    File license

Reply 42 of 73, by jdgabard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I was just sitting down getting ready to take measurements to begin designing a I/O Shield for an AT motherboard when I ran on this post while doing research to see if anyone else had thought of this. Low and behold, Kaputnik beat me to it. Thanks a ton, buddy!

Reply 43 of 73, by blackjudas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't mean to derail, but does anyone have the measurements where the 5 pin din keyboard connector would be on the plate? I have a bunch of blanks and just drilling out the holes would be easier for me.

Reply 44 of 73, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
blackjudas wrote on 2021-01-08, 03:05:

I don't mean to derail, but does anyone have the measurements where the 5 pin din keyboard connector would be on the plate? I have a bunch of blanks and just drilling out the holes would be easier for me.

Check out this post-- Download the STL and get the measurements from there--

Re: ATX I/O shield models for 3D printing

Or maybe this photo helps--

Photo Jan 08, 4 30 15 PM.jpg
Filename
File size
46.19 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by douglar on 2021-01-08, 21:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 45 of 73, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The above should be more precise, but you can also check this out. It worked fine for me, it's not like you need to drill a perfect fit.
Hole position on I/O shield for AT m/b?

(also how can one search for the threads he has created? Or threads created by a specific user? It took me more than it should to find that thread and there should be an easy way that's not obvious to me)

Reply 46 of 73, by blackjudas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
douglar wrote on 2021-01-08, 20:39:
Check out this post-- Download the STL and get the measurements from there-- […]
Show full quote

Check out this post-- Download the STL and get the measurements from there--

Re: ATX I/O shield models for 3D printing

Or maybe this photo helps--

Thanks for the pic! Not sure what to do with STL files, but I'm sure a bit of web searching will help me out.

Reply 47 of 73, by blackjudas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2021-01-08, 21:17:
The above should be more precise, but you can also check this out. It worked fine for me, it's not like you need to drill a perf […]
Show full quote

The above should be more precise, but you can also check this out. It worked fine for me, it's not like you need to drill a perfect fit.
Hole position on I/O shield for AT m/b?

(also how can one search for the threads he has created? Or threads created by a specific user? It took me more than it should to find that thread and there should be an easy way that's not obvious to me)

Ah that post seems to be great, need to convert it to metric as well, but that's exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you.

Reply 48 of 73, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
blackjudas wrote on 2021-01-08, 22:52:

Thanks for the pic! Not sure what to do with STL files, but I'm sure a bit of web searching will help me out.

I Import them into https://www.tinkercad.com/ or save them out to https://www.thingiverse.com/

Reply 49 of 73, by quackgyver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kaputnik wrote on 2019-03-08, 10:26:
Check the third post in this thread, isn't that more or less exactly what you're describing? Or am I misunderstanding you someho […]
Show full quote

Check the third post in this thread, isn't that more or less exactly what you're describing? Or am I misunderstanding you somehow? 😀 Only the DIN connector hole is premade, and there are cutting guides in case you want to install mouse or com/LPT ports. The third pic shows what it looks like fresh out of the printer, the cutout guides are invisible from the front side if not used.

The material cost is probably less than an euro. I'm at sea now, far from home, so can't weigh my test print, but it can't be more than 20 grammes. A spool of 1 kg quality filament costs about €25-30.

In my printer, it takes about an hour to print, but that of course varies with printer and settings used.

Could print you a shield or three once I get back home, but shipping costs from Sweden to wherever you live (Germany?) will probably make that alternative more expensive than using some local copy shop doing 3D prints. You'd also have to wait, won't be back home in a while.

I know you posted this some time ago, but I've been looking for the AT DIN-only shield for a long time. I've tried sending the blueprint in this thread for 3D printing, but it never worked out for various reasons. Would you still be willing to sell a 3D print and send it domestically?

Game design studio: http://astrojone.com
Personal site: http://quackgyver.com

Reply 50 of 73, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
quackgyver wrote on 2021-01-09, 01:11:
Check the third post in this thread, isn't that more or less exactly what you're describing? Or am I misunderstanding you someho […]
Show full quote

Check the third post in this thread, isn't that more or less exactly what you're describing? Or am I misunderstanding you somehow? 😀 Only the DIN connector hole is premade, and there are cutting guides in case you want to install mouse or com/LPT ports. The third pic shows what it looks like fresh out of the printer, the cutout guides are invisible from the front side if not used.

The material cost is probably less than an euro. I'm at sea now, far from home, so can't weigh my test print, but it can't be more than 20 grammes. A spool of 1 kg quality filament costs about €25-30.

In my printer, it takes about an hour to print, but that of course varies with printer and settings used.

Could print you a shield or three once I get back home, but shipping costs from Sweden to wherever you live (Germany?) will probably make that alternative more expensive than using some local copy shop doing 3D prints. You'd also have to wait, won't be back home in a while.

I know you posted this some time ago, but I've been looking for the AT DIN-only shield for a long time. I've tried sending the blueprint in this thread for 3D printing, but it never worked out for various reasons. Would you still be willing to sell a 3D print and send it domestically?

Could be arranged, if you're willing to wait for a few days. Recovering from what I believe to be a common cold, but want to play it safe when it comes to spread of infection these days.

Also, have to quote Henry Ford here, "you can get it in any color you want, as long as it's black". Only got black PETG filament at home atm.

Let's take it in PM from there if you're still interested 😀

Reply 51 of 73, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are the measurements I used for the AT I/O shield. Using the case aperture as reference:

athole.jpg
Filename
athole.jpg
File size
45.23 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Also attached a .dwg. Would recommend printing it to scale on paper, and use as a drilling template.

Sadly, Inventor's export options are quite limited to say the least, exporting as .pdf will just produce a file with an embedded bitmap. No easy way to print that to scale 😜

Attachments

Reply 52 of 73, by quackgyver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kaputnik wrote on 2021-01-11, 08:11:
Could be arranged, if you're willing to wait for a few days. Recovering from what I believe to be a common cold, but want to pla […]
Show full quote
quackgyver wrote on 2021-01-09, 01:11:
Show full quote

Could be arranged, if you're willing to wait for a few days. Recovering from what I believe to be a common cold, but want to play it safe when it comes to spread of infection these days.

Also, have to quote Henry Ford here, "you can get it in any color you want, as long as it's black". Only got black PETG filament at home atm.

Let's take it in PM from there if you're still interested 😀

Sounds good on all points!

Unfortunately I can't send PM's to members for some reason. Can you PM me?

Game design studio: http://astrojone.com
Personal site: http://quackgyver.com

Reply 53 of 73, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
quackgyver wrote on 2021-01-11, 21:46:

Unfortunately I can't send PM's to members for some reason. Can you PM me?

You will need to get the total number of posts that you have up higher.

I know it's inconvenient in the short term, but among other things, we want to encourage longer-term forum membership.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 54 of 73, by kuenzign

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
retardware wrote on 2019-02-14, 11:55:

But: How to ensure electromagnetic shielding? Metallic spray?

You can use some EMI/RFI shielding paint such as this one available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M28SRH0/

Reply 55 of 73, by kuenzign

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hope you don't mind kaputnik, but I made some minor changes to your design to add a few more optional ports.

AT IO shield 0.5.png
Filename
AT IO shield 0.5.png
File size
105 KiB
Views
File license

I added a second PS/2 port for motherboards that have the PS/2 port soldered on. Like this:

20210117_205654.jpg
Filename
20210117_205654.jpg
File size
146.8 KiB
Views
File license

Additionally, I added the option to replace either a DB25 or a DB9 connector with a DB15 (for a game port). Hopefully others will find this useful like I did. Thank you to kaputnik for creating this in the first place. 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    AT IO shield 0.5.zip
    File size
    425.98 KiB
    Downloads
    166 downloads
    File license

Reply 56 of 73, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kuenzign wrote on 2021-01-18, 02:02:
I hope you don't mind kaputnik, but I made some minor changes to your design to add a few more optional ports. AT IO shield 0.5. […]
Show full quote

I hope you don't mind kaputnik, but I made some minor changes to your design to add a few more optional ports.
AT IO shield 0.5.png

I added a second PS/2 port for motherboards that have the PS/2 port soldered on. Like this:
20210117_205654.jpg

Additionally, I added the option to replace either a DB25 or a DB9 connector with a DB15 (for a game port). Hopefully others will find this useful like I did. Thank you to kaputnik for creating this in the first place. 😀

Rather the opposite, I love it. Hope you don't mind me linking it from my original AT shield post in turn 😀

Reply 58 of 73, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This one's for a modern-ish computer rather than an old one, but I had to make up an I/O shield again. It's printed in PETG so it won't melt easily.
And now it has 50mm copper tape stuck onto it. The copper tape goes a bit past the left/right edges so it can fold over and contact the case. It gives a good ground connection between the ports on the backplate and the case:

Attachments