VOGONS

First post, by Simmerhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I'm having trouble Win 95 OSR2 with USB Supplements and an onboard ATI 3d Rage Pro AGP chip. It should be powerful enough for pre Windows 98 games.

I've tried a few different driver versions that claim to be Windows 9x compatible, but no luck so far. It's a pretty common chip, both for onboard and cards, so it's rather strange.

I'm using it on a Fujitsu Ergopro e366 system from 1998. It came with a Celeron 300 MHz which I have replaced with a Pentium II 233 MHz. It's got a GIGABYTE micro ATX mainboard.

After the drivers are installed I get an error when starting Windows with ATI driver software calling for user32.dll. The file is there in Win 95, but somehow it's not accepted by the ATI config software.

Any idea would be very much appreciated, otherwise I'll just have to fork out for a Voodoo Banshee or something - bu with current prices, I'm hoping I won't need to.

Simmerhead - Old is gold!

Reply 4 of 13, by Simmerhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Paar wrote on 2021-01-13, 11:51:

Nice to see someone wanting to use Rage Pro as main card. They are capable enough to produce nice gameplay experience for P1/early P2 systems. Let us know what is your experience with it 😉.

Will do if I get it up and running!

I'm waiting for a few parts to arrive. Ordered a new slot 1 holder as the stock Celeron used a different type than the P-II.

I've ripped out the Voodoo 2 as I'm gonna use that for another computer with an S3 Virge for 2D.

Reply 5 of 13, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently set up a Fujitsu Siemens Scenic Pro 750 AGP Laptop. (PIII 450) Onboard VGA is an ATI 3D Rage LT Pro. I did not expect much but I was surprised - nice performance and 3D capabilities. Tried Tomb Raider 2 up to 800x600 and it looked great. (I did expect it to be one of the early pseudo 3D decellerators) Sadly, openGL isn't available, GL Quake and Quake 2 refused to run.

Reply 6 of 13, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pc-sound-legacy wrote on 2021-01-13, 23:30:

I recently set up a Fujitsu Siemens Scenic Pro 750 AGP Laptop. (PIII 450) Onboard VGA is an ATI 3D Rage LT Pro. I did not expect much but I was surprised - nice performance and 3D capabilities. Tried Tomb Raider 2 up to 800x600 and it looked great. (I did expect it to be one of the early pseudo 3D decellerators) Sadly, openGL isn't available, GL Quake and Quake 2 refused to run.

Unfortunately the Rage chips used in laptops before 2000 ( Rage XT, Rage LT, Rage Mobility, Rage Mobility L, Rage Mobility P, Rage Mobility M, Rage Mobility M1) only supported open DirectX5 & GL 1.1. They were all based on the Rage Pro designs.

The only one that Quake works with was the Rage Mobility 128 . It was based on the Rage 128 design and supported open DirectX6 & GL 1.2. That was the last Rage Mobility chip.

Reply 8 of 13, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Putas wrote on 2021-01-14, 15:16:

Of course you can play Quakes with Rage Pro. Just try different driver.

My experience is that there's like a single driver that will GlQuake but that that will then (for example) limit your Windows desktop resolution. Drivers are a huge crapshoot.

Reply 9 of 13, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Oetker wrote on 2021-01-14, 17:17:

My experience is that there's like a single driver that will GlQuake but that that will then (for example) limit your Windows desktop resolution. Drivers are a huge crapshoot.

It would not surprise me if you had to use drivers from Fujitsu to keep your computer to be stable.

My experience from that period was that it was not uncommon to find out that the general release drivers from ATI or Nvidia would not install on a laptop, and forcing them on would not produce a stable result.

@Simmerhead What drivers are you using right now?

Couldn't hurt too much to play around with the hacked drivers, just plan for a hasty retreat if they don't work out.

"ATIQuake" miniGL for Q1 & Q2 on Rage Pro

Edit: Some people seem to think setting the display to 16 bit high color makes it work.

https://community.khronos.org/t/quake-ii-ati-rage-pro/8011

Reply 11 of 13, by Simmerhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
douglar wrote on 2021-01-14, 20:18:
It would not surprise me if you had to use drivers from Fujitsu to keep your computer to be stable. […]
Show full quote

It would not surprise me if you had to use drivers from Fujitsu to keep your computer to be stable.

My experience from that period was that it was not uncommon to find out that the general release drivers from ATI or Nvidia would not install on a laptop, and forcing them on would not produce a stable result.

Couldn't hurt too much to play around with the hacked drivers, just plan for a hasty retreat if they don't work out.

Edit: Some people seem to think setting the display to 16 bit high color makes it work.

Thanks for some great pointers!

I've got a few different drivers that I've tried. I worked fine in Windows Me (that was installed on the computer when I got it), but no luck so far in Windows 95. Will check out your links.

Will report back when I am back on the project!

Reply 12 of 13, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
douglar wrote on 2021-01-14, 20:18:
It would not surprise me if you had to use drivers from Fujitsu to keep your computer to be stable. […]
Show full quote

Thank you for this! Set Windows to 16 bit and the same resolution as quake (640x480) solves it and GlQuake runs with 24 fps.

Reply 13 of 13, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have not tested yet my ATi Rage Pro with GLQuake, but i have results for Quake 2.

Tested Quake2 v3.20 with AMDK6-2+ 400Mhz and OpenGL 1068
Original:
640x480 - Rage PRo LT 8MB
timedemo 1
map demo1.dm2
fps 24.6

More FPS to Quake2 OpenGL with cfg file
Autoexec.cfg:
timedemo 1
map demo1.dm2
fps 26.6

OpenGL Bi-linear disabled+Autoexec.cfg:
timedemo 1
map demo1.dm2
fps 28.5

You can install RagePro-Tweaker and disbale Allow Bi-linear Filtering and use modified autoexec.cfg to your Quake2\BASEQ2 folder. Rage Pro cards have 3dcif/d3d/opengl support. I have used my own driver 5.38.2582-3DCIF.

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files