Or
DVD2.SYS + SHSUCDX(3.07)

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 21 of 115, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VIDE has issues if loaded up into an UMB..

What about OAKCDROM.SYS? 😉
- It's very compatible and dependable.

If you use Multimedia Cloaking, you can also get rid of the more memory hungry drivers to compensate for the additional memory consumption of OAK.

That Logitech mouse driver that Phil/Maulwurf1977 mentioned on page one uses a cut down version of it, I believe.
The full version also includes an MSCDEX replacement, I suppose.

Re: Tiny mouse driver ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 22 of 115, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use Oakcdrom.sys on most of my DOS systems, for me is one of the best ATAPI cdrom drivers imho..

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 25 of 115, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VIDE-CDD v2.15 Is the most best compatible low level CD-ROM driver. I use it in everything, only 5kb memory footprint, the SYS file can be compressed also with UPX for your floppies.

But SHSUCDX has some issues sometimes, MSCDEX 2.25 is the most compatible, it is a memory hog, but you can load it high, or use it only when needed.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 29 of 115, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2021-01-31, 17:35:

Really? I always DEVICEHIGH it and don't recall any issues.

Law212 wrote on 2021-02-14, 05:51:

Can anyone post good autoexec and config files? Im having a tough time with my 486 and memory

I've posted mine before, e.g. here, but I've since understood that there can be major differences in compatibility and how much RAM you can actually free, depending on the systems. Mine are from a Super Socket 7 AGP board with a K6-II CPU, which is quite different from yours.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 30 of 115, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2021-02-24, 16:40:
Really? I always DEVICEHIGH it and don't recall any issues. […]
Show full quote
Jo22 wrote on 2021-01-31, 17:35:

Law212 wrote on 2021-02-14, 05:51:

Can anyone post good autoexec and config files? Im having a tough time with my 486 and memory

I've posted mine before, e.g. here, but I've since understood that there can be major differences in compatibility and how much RAM you can actually free, depending on the systems. Mine are from a Super Socket 7 AGP board with a K6-II CPU, which is quite different from yours.

Thanks.

Reply 31 of 115, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyberdyne wrote on 2021-02-01, 11:50:

MSCDEX 2.25 is the most compatible, it is a memory hog, but you can load it high, or use it only when needed.

You can also use the /E switch to load part of it into EMS if available. Can free about 10K as I recall.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 32 of 115, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The more general question is, what features do the smaller drivers drop to have such a small memory footprint. This is not well documented mostly.
e.g. Kanji file structures, CD-ROM XA, CD-I...

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 33 of 115, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elianda wrote on 2021-03-14, 12:13:

The more general question is, what features do the smaller drivers drop to have such a small memory footprint. This is not well documented mostly.
e.g. Kanji file structures, CD-ROM XA, CD-I...

+1

Windows 9x also lost support for CD-i, for example.
In order to watch old CD-i movies it's necessary to either load DOS drivers and MSCDEX or use an experimental IFS.
There's a link in an old posting of my mine:
Re: Exclusive Windows 3.1, 95, 98, and ME Games List

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 34 of 115, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is no ultimate cd driver or sets of drivers. Theres only drivers that are better than others.
everyone would recommend having multiple start up configs, so why not just load drivers that work for your game, and if you have another game that doesn't work like that make another boot menu item and load a separate set of drivers.

Reply 36 of 115, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-03-29, 01:51:

Same here

I will echo that experience .

Reply 38 of 115, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2021-03-29, 01:52:

Same here

I actually have to rescind that statement 🤣... I was just testing a system that was previously working fine with VIDE-CDD loaded high.

Buuuuut when I added hardware EMS to the system, CDROM games that use EMS (DOTT, Star Trek 25th) stopped working properly. Loaded VIDE-CDD low (Because of remembering this thread!) and now all is well again.

Reply 39 of 115, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-03-31, 21:41:
darry wrote on 2021-03-29, 01:52:

Same here

I actually have to rescind that statement 🤣... I was just testing a system that was previously working fine with VIDE-CDD loaded high.

Buuuuut when I added hardware EMS to the system, CDROM games that use EMS (DOTT, Star Trek 25th) stopped working properly. Loaded VIDE-CDD low (Because of remembering this thread!) and now all is well again.

Could it have something to do with certain segments of high memory not being DMA capable on a given machine (chipset limitation, AFAIK) and VIDE-CDD possibly not testing for that (maybe other CD drivers do test or maybe they always use low memory for memory used for DMA)?

If my guess is accurate, adding the hardware EMS card likely changed the UMA memory map because of the added 64KB pageframe and changed the high memory location that VIDE-CDD was loading into from one that worked to one that does not .

Please let me know if this makes sense or correct me if I am off base on this .