VOGONS

Reply 18040 of 27364, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I booted a PCChips M747 with a Celeron 300A (Slot1) 128MB (PC133), the card booted up smoothly and displayed the BIOS screens.
The integrated VGA is an 8MB SIS 6326 (AGP), the chipsets are SIS 5600-5595 (BXPRO), the integrated audio is a CMI8330 branded as Sound Pro.
The format is Baby / AT, but it also has an ATX power supply connector.
As HD I temporarily used a 512MB IDE-CF adapter, as OS I installed Win98SE. Soon I will do some bench, and if I want I can test other PII and P CPUs !!! from 300 to 500MHz.

Attachments

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 18041 of 27364, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah SIS 6326! I remember going to a LAN game round some kinda friend's house and I had an SiS 6326 graphics card - I think my first AGP card - and I was absolutely destroyed by all the proper 3D cards in the house 😁

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 18042 of 27364, by AmiSapphire

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Went through one of my boxes of stuff that had some old hardware and found two semi-broken Promise RAID cards... in addition to the one working one. They are all Promise FastTrak S150 TX2 cards that I modded to be TX2plus units.

Back then in 2011, the two were recognized when installed in a test board, but now... one of them no longer worked, and since the functional one of the two had a busted SATA port, I replaced it with one from the now dead card. Neither of the semi-broken cards had any SMD electrolytic capacitors on them as they were broken off when I got them (I bought them in broken condition for cheap to begin with), so I will have to order some at some point next month.

Regarding the one working one, that one went to the main webserver with a set of Maxtor MaXLine Plus II HDDs (2x 250GB EIDE and 2x 250GB SATA) installed on an Intel SAI2 dual Pentium III board and ran for years until it was retired in 2017.

--

In addition to the RAID card stuff, I'm going to order some more EPROMs, as it's going to my Sega Genesis setup. I currently have a set of 9 EPROMs of different capacities. With some of them, I'm going to make a few Sega Genesis test cartridges.

Site update: cwcyrix.duckdns.org -> cwcyrix.nsupdate.info due to the former no longer working.

Reply 18043 of 27364, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally opened up the "quarantined" large package to check out the latest vintage computer facebook purchase: One of early but quality ATX/AT beige chassis that was mostly used with early slot A athlon white box back in the day.

I had this particular chassis back in the day and really liked it. Took me nearly 5 years of looking.

Cheers!

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 18044 of 27364, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm about a week late with this update ...

I purchased another IBM PC Compact printer from eBay to have another spare. For those of you who are not familiar with it, it is a small serial printer running at 1200 bps that prints on fax paper. The print quality is atrocious but it never needs ribbons, so that is a plus. Originally designed for use with the PCjr, these could be used on PCs with an adapter cable. They were also often found on C64s after IBM dumped a load of them onto the secondary market.

These printers are not all bad. Here is a sample of a JPG that I printed on it:

PCjr_Colorpaint_printed_small.jpg

This particular printer had a D shell 25 pin male connector on it wired as DTE (Data Terminal Equipment) which is wrong for interfacing with a computer. The original PCjr connector had been hacked off and crudely replaced. I corrected the gender and the wiring so now it has a D shell 25 pin female connector wired as DCE (Data Communications Equipment). I used an RS232 breakout box to do the debugging, which I found to be mesmerizing to watch while it prints. If you want to enjoy the blinky lights there is a video linked the page where I describe the printer.

That led to some fun with an oscilloscope trying to find bits on the wire. It was a little tricky with a 20 year old analog oscilloscope with no buffering, but I was able to clearly capture three full bytes at 4800 bps and decode by hand just by looking at the voltages on the scope.

Oscilloscope_SOS.jpg
("SOS" at 4800 bps, no parity, 8 data bits, one stop bit on an analog oscilloscope.)

It was a good day ...

Reply 18045 of 27364, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember that printer fondly. My very first computer was a very decked out PCJr my uncle had given to me when I was 4 or 5 I had a blast with that system. It had a ton of games on disks as well as from cartridges.

Reply 18046 of 27364, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SteveC wrote on 2021-01-31, 22:04:

Ah SIS 6326! I remember going to a LAN game round some kinda friend's house and I had an SiS 6326 graphics card - I think my first AGP card - and I was absolutely destroyed by all the proper 3D cards in the house 😁

I just came across one myself - 8 Mb AGP.

My 233 MMX has 16 Mb + 4 from a Voodoo II 🤣.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 18047 of 27364, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This came in from Poland today

pHf3tDDl.jpg

At some point I'll put it in a NIC and place the mess into my 386 - hopefully that'll get that PC to recognize the CF card.

I also upgraded my ZIP 100 drive to a ZIP 250 in my 233 MMx

gyvPknCl.jpg

That computer also received an ATI 128XL 16 Mb PCI and the outgoing 4 Mb Rage II is in another computer. While I was at it, I put in a 128 Mb SDRAM module, and because I had a 64 Mb also from a recent haul, they both went in. 192 Mb RAM now 😁. At some point I have to get to cutting a hole in the side of the case to increase airflow.

Reply 18048 of 27364, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd probably keep the Zip100 drive in - I was a beta tester for the Zip 250 and even though we all told Iomega they were awful they released them anyway! I found the drives and media unreliable. If you have a working Zip250 I'd treasure it and not wear it out using Zip100 disks 😀

Also I think there's some restriction on if you can format a Zip100 disk in a Zip250 drive?

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 18049 of 27364, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I successfully tested another motherboard that I recently got. The Shuttle HOT-591P, a Baby AT Super Socket 7 board with Via MVP3 chipset.
Works like a charm and now has the latest BIOS on it, too. So now it supports K6-2+ CPUs with an official BIOS.
Interesting thing about this board is that it supports setting the CPU voltage via BIOS.

My retro computers

Reply 18050 of 27364, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@mbbrutman : that pic may be okay for an old printer, while I sometimes like to complain about the price of printer ink I am actually thankful the days of slow noisy dot-matrix printers with chained paper are looong gone. Uh my retro activity? I have been trying to convert a game I wrote from Quick Basic to GWBasic...

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 18051 of 27364, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I desoldered the bi-colored LED from my Tulip Vision Line DC Compact (TC36).
It looks like the anode/diode part responsible for the amber color is defective. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a replacement 5 Volt bi-color green/amber LED, so I ordered two seperate LEDs...

Also rewired the pc speaker, the small pcb turned completely green thanks to 30 year old AA batteries.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 18052 of 27364, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tried out a bunch of soundfonts in various games. Came to the conclusion that Creative's GM35REVC.SF2 sounds the most balanced overall, at least to my ears. Also, it often beats much larger user-made soundfonts in terms of instrument quality.

For reference, that's the 3.5 MB soundfont which is installed by default when using the AWE64 Gold driver CD. Here are some music samples. I even like it more than the larger Creative soundfonts which came with later sound cards like the SBLive and Audigy.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 18053 of 27364, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

- Taking a shot at getting a "V" model Versa. The Non-Removable screen model that is.
- Bought the FFC cables and connectors for the NL6448AC30-10 screen that I'm repairing.

I uploaded the 3 hour Baking Soda + Superglue fix video over the weekend. I don't think I'll be doing a YT video that long anymore.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 18054 of 27364, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-02-01, 21:25:

Tried out a bunch of soundfonts in various games. Came to the conclusion that Creative's GM35REVC.SF2 sounds the most balanced overall, at least to my ears. Also, it often beats much larger user-made soundfonts in terms of instrument quality.

For reference, that's the 3.5 MB soundfont which is installed by default when using the AWE64 Gold driver CD. Here are some music samples. I even like it more than the larger Creative soundfonts which came with later sound cards like the SBLive and Audigy.

If you are willing to pay a reasonable amount, the best 4MB soundfont, IMHO, is the Voice Crystal one . It was made by the people who made the official GUS patchset, among other things .

See here for a sample recording and a link to the official web page .
Re: How much ram do I really need sb32

and a link to the official web page :

Reply 18055 of 27364, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I burned a dual-layer DVD, using Nero Burning ROM, on a 15-year old IDE DVD writer. Surprisingly, it burned without any errors, even if the burning+verifying process took more than an hour. I'm glad this burner still works fine.

Reply 18056 of 27364, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2021-02-02, 00:56:
If you are willing to pay a reasonable amount, the best 4MB soundfont, IMHO, is the Voice Crystal one . It was made by the peopl […]
Show full quote

If you are willing to pay a reasonable amount, the best 4MB soundfont, IMHO, is the Voice Crystal one . It was made by the people who made the official GUS patchset, among other things .

See here for a sample recording and a link to the official web page .

and a link to the official web page :

Duke3D certainly sounds excellent on that one. But I would need to hear it in a few more games before making a decision, and I just haven't found enough recordings so far. To clarify, my main problem with most soundfonts is that they often sound great in mainstream titles (or rather their most popular tracks) but turn to crap in less prominent games.

This is why GM35REVC.SF2 seems so nicely balanced to my ears. It tends to sound decent (though not perfect) in a wide range of games, and not just in Duke, Doom, Heretic, Descent etc. Many fan-made soundfonts sounded awful when I threw something like Gabriel Knight, King's Quest VI or Stonekeep at them.

That said, from what I've seen on their website, Voice Crystal seems to be professionally made by experienced developers, so it would probably fit my needs as well. I would just like to hear some more game recordings with it.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 18057 of 27364, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DrLucienSanchez wrote on 2021-01-30, 21:08:

I usually keep an eye out for CRT monitors and TVs, and after a long wait, I took a chance on a purchase, and finally nailed something that I'm very excited for: Sun Microsystems 16" CRT Monitor - PN17J0 - "Opened, never used", description says "Item has been opened, but is unused, VGA cables are still factory tied and internal packaging appears to be untouched". If this is really the case, then I am very happy with this. Got it for a total of £85 (£50 + £35 shipping) of a famous auction site - was the the only bidder 😀

From looking at the specs, the maximum it will do is 1280x1024 @75Hz. I'll use it to power my Slot 1 P II, MX440 98SE rig, and also my Frankenstein build - 2500K, Intel HD 3000, XP, all inside a nice still-beige 1997 Viglen tower.

I will make sure to un-wrap and allow it to get to room temperature before switching on!

OOh I've got a 19 inch like that from an auction recently - I'm surprised it wasn't BNC.

Reply 18058 of 27364, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SteveC wrote on 2021-02-01, 10:19:

I'd probably keep the Zip100 drive in - I was a beta tester for the Zip 250 and even though we all told Iomega they were awful they released them anyway! I found the drives and media unreliable. If you have a working Zip250 I'd treasure it and not wear it out using Zip100 disks 😀

Also I think there's some restriction on if you can format a Zip100 disk in a Zip250 drive?

That's good to know - I only have two 250 Mb media diskettes. Since this computer has USB , I don't really use the ZIP all that much anyhow. Also, I have a few external ZIP100s, one of which is a SCSI, which this system has. *edit actually one of them is ALSO a 250. Hot damn.

Reply 18059 of 27364, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aha2940 wrote on 2021-02-02, 02:34:

Today I burned a dual-layer DVD, using Nero Burning ROM, on a 15-year old IDE DVD writer. Surprisingly, it burned without any errors, even if the burning+verifying process took more than an hour. I'm glad this burner still works fine.

That's impressive. I had to swap out a SATA DVD burner recently as it couldn't boot from a DL DVD. Will be swapping it for a burner that can work wish M-Disc BD-R discs as soon as I can afford it (current drive can read Blu Ray discs, but can only burn DVDs, including M-Disc for archival storage.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.