VOGONS

PCMCIA Sound Cards

Topic actions

Reply 320 of 576, by Guy With 3 Cats

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all!

I am in the need for a PCMCIA card that will give me audio in old DOS games and Windows 98 as well. I am using an old ThinkPad T41 that natively runs Windows 98 and has 2 PCMCIA card slots.

Does such a card exist? I apologize if it's a dumb question; the OP is really confusing to my limited brain. Hopefully something that is readily available on eBay and will give me audio in both DOS and Win98, if such a card exists.

Thanks so much in advance!

Reply 321 of 576, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Guy With 3 Cats wrote on 2021-02-03, 20:58:
Hey all! […]
Show full quote

Hey all!

I am in the need for a PCMCIA card that will give me audio in old DOS games and Windows 98 as well. I am using an old ThinkPad T41 that natively runs Windows 98 and has 2 PCMCIA card slots.

Does such a card exist? I apologize if it's a dumb question; the OP is really confusing to my limited brain. Hopefully something that is readily available on eBay and will give me audio in both DOS and Win98, if such a card exists.

I would rater install Win 98 and see if Sound Blaster emulation works. T41 is officially supported https://thinkpads.com/support/Thinkpad-Driver … t/ddfm/T41.html
For instance DOS games run fine with both FX and FM sound on TP A31 under W98 with the same audio driver. So possibly T41 will work as well.
Another option is Dosbox in WinXP.

As for PCMCIA sound card - I'm not sure it will work with newer controller. And even if it works you'll probably get only FM sound(Adlib music). Let alone that such cards are almost impossible to find.
Overall T41 is not optimal for DOS gaming in pure DOS. So I'd look at other options. Like buying a Pentium laptop with onboard sound.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 322 of 576, by Guy With 3 Cats

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bondi wrote on 2021-02-04, 11:34:
I would rater install Win 98 and see if Sound Blaster emulation works. T41 is officially supported https://thinkpads.com/suppor […]
Show full quote
Hey all! […]
Show full quote

Hey all!

I would rater install Win 98 and see if Sound Blaster emulation works. T41 is officially supported https://thinkpads.com/support/Thinkpad-Driver … t/ddfm/T41.html
For instance DOS games run fine with both FX and FM sound on TP A31 under W98 with the same audio driver. So possibly T41 will work as well.

As for PCMCIA sound card - I'm not sure it will work with newer controller. And even if it works you'll probably get only FM sound(Adlib music). Let alone that such cards are almost impossible to find.
Overall T41 is not optimal for DOS gaming in pure DOS. So I'd look at other options. Like buying a Pentium laptop with onboard sound.

Thanks but what am I looking for in that link? I see a bunch of drivers but I don't see anything on that page about Sound Blaster emulation?

As for a PCMCIA sound card, there's a Wavjammer on eBay. Would that get me Sound Blaster sound?

Reply 323 of 576, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Guy With 3 Cats wrote on 2021-02-04, 14:15:
I would rater install Win 98 and see if Sound Blaster emulation works. T41 is officially supported https://thinkpads.com/suppor […]
Show full quote
Hey all! […]
Show full quote

Hey all!

Thanks but what am I looking for in that link? I see a bunch of drivers but I don't see anything on that page about Sound Blaster emulation?

As for a PCMCIA sound card, there's a Wavjammer on eBay. Would that get me Sound Blaster sound?

You need the Audio driver there. If it's not installed on your laptop yet, of course. As I wrote my A31 emulates SB very well with this exact driver. https://thinkpads.com/support/Thinkpad-Driver … es/aftp1g98.exe

Yes, Wavjammer emulates SB in Windows. But the one that is for sale has no cable, so it's useless.
I also found Wavjammer SB emulation very noisy, it produces a lot of hiss and clicks.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 324 of 576, by Guy With 3 Cats

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bondi wrote on 2021-02-04, 14:41:
You need the Audio driver there. If it's not installed on your laptop yet, of course. As I wrote my A31 emulates SB very well wi […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

You need the Audio driver there. If it's not installed on your laptop yet, of course. As I wrote my A31 emulates SB very well with this exact driver. https://thinkpads.com/support/Thinkpad-Driver … es/aftp1g98.exe

Yes, Wavjammer emulates SB in Windows. But the one that is for sale has no cable, so it's useless.
I also found Wavjammer SB emulation very noisy, it produces a lot of hiss and clicks.

Thanks so much for the reply. I was so close to buying the WAVJammer. You just saved me fifty bucks!

I just tried to install that driver on my t41. Now I am no longer getting any sound in Windows at all, and I get a pop-up with the message "3Com EuSynth: ADI/ICH Hardware not prsent. 3Com EuSynth will be unavailable."

Any ideas? Did I do something wrong?

Reply 325 of 576, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Guy With 3 Cats wrote on 2021-02-04, 15:37:
Thanks so much for the reply. I was so close to buying the WAVJammer. You just saved me fifty bucks! […]
Show full quote
You need the Audio driver there. If it's not installed on your laptop yet, of course. As I wrote my A31 emulates SB very well wi […]
Show full quote

Thanks so much for the reply. I was so close to buying the WAVJammer. You just saved me fifty bucks!

I just tried to install that driver on my t41. Now I am no longer getting any sound in Windows at all, and I get a pop-up with the message "3Com EuSynth: ADI/ICH Hardware not prsent. 3Com EuSynth will be unavailable."

It's hard to say what the problem is. The radical solution is to do a clean install of W98 and then install all dedicated IBM drivers.
A half measure is to delete all sound devices in Device Manager, reboot, and install audio drivers all over again. And see what happens.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 326 of 576, by Guy With 3 Cats

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bondi wrote on 2021-02-04, 15:50:
Thanks so much for the reply. I was so close to buying the WAVJammer. You just saved me fifty bucks! […]
Show full quote

It's hard to say what the problem is. The radical solution is to do a clean install of W98 and then install all dedicated IBM drivers.
A half measure is to delete all sound devices in Device Manager, reboot, and install audio drivers all over again. And see what happens.

Thank you!

Are the sound drivers you linked me to definitely for the T41?

Reply 327 of 576, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Guy With 3 Cats wrote on 2021-02-04, 15:51:

Thank you!

Yes, you can see my first link, there is a readme file.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 328 of 576, by Guy With 3 Cats

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bondi wrote on 2021-02-04, 15:55:
Guy With 3 Cats wrote on 2021-02-04, 15:51:

Thank you!

Yes, you can see my first link, there is a readme file.

Which one do you recommend for the Soundblaster emulation support? There's:

Audio driver for Windows 98 - ThinkPad A31/p, R40, T30, T40/p, T41, T42, X30, X31 ... Learn more
Version: 4.11.01.0627a

and

Audio driver for Windows XP, 2000, 98SE - ThinkPad R40, R50, R50e, R50p, R51, T40, T40p, T41, T41p, T42, T42p, X31, X32, X40 ... Learn more

Version: 5.12.01.5410

on that page

Reply 330 of 576, by Guy With 3 Cats

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bondi wrote on 2021-02-04, 16:32:

The one that works 😀
I'd try the latest driver. And if it does not work try the other one.

haha 😀

OK so I got aftp1g98.exe to work (it was tricky). I hear Windows sounds just fine, and the MIDI in Chip's Challenge works too.

How do I know if SoundBlaster emulation is working?

I tried running a DOS CD-ROM disc in Windows 98....it's Discworld (great game) but I am not getting any audio.

Maybe I am unsure of what to put in for settings. Could you please tell me which ones I should choose?

UcXyWNW.png

T2MgHR1.png

I wouldn't even know where to begin in which options I should choose. It's been about 20 years since the last time I had to mess with this stuff! Even then I'd have no idea what the ThinkPad is looking for in terms of settings.

Reply 331 of 576, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First you want to make sure that SB emulation is enabled.
Device Manager -> Sound devices -> SoundMax Integrated...-> Settings -> click Enable Sound Blaster emulation

soundmax.png
Filename
soundmax.png
File size
166.27 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 332 of 576, by Guy With 3 Cats

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bondi wrote on 2021-02-04, 17:27:

First you want to make sure that SB emulation is enabled.
Device Manager -> Sound devices -> SoundMax Integrated...-> Settings -> click Enable Sound Blaster emulation

soundmax.png

Wow, good catch. It was unchecked so I checked it and rebooted.

May I ask what options I should be selecting in games now that it's checked?

Reply 333 of 576, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Start off with the most basic "Soundblaster" - base 220, interrupt 5, dma channel 1 (or match whatever you set in the Soundmax settings). Most games should work with that, though you may miss out on stereo sound from Soundblaster Pro and Soundblaster 16 support.

If a game doesn't support Soundblaster, you can always try "Adlib", which is just the music/fm synth side of things.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 334 of 576, by Guy With 3 Cats

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
megatron-uk wrote on 2021-02-04, 21:50:

Start off with the most basic "Soundblaster" - base 220, interrupt 5, dma channel 1 (or match whatever you set in the Soundmax settings). Most games should work with that, though you may miss out on stereo sound from Soundblaster Pro and Soundblaster 16 support.

If a game doesn't support Soundblaster, you can always try "Adlib", which is just the music/fm synth side of things.

Thanks so much for the reply. Sadly I tried both "Soundblaster" and "Adlib" with base 220, interrupt 5, dma channel 1 (which is what it says in the Soundmax settings) and I am getting nothing in Discworld. No music or sound effects at all.

Is there anything else I can try? I really really want to get this working 🙁

Edit: I just ran Wolfenstein 3D from inside Win98. For the first time it actually detected a SoundBlaster card! However, I am only getting sound effects but no music. Maybe this info helps in figuring this thing out?

Reply 335 of 576, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested the EXP Multimedia kit that I bought NOS recently. Works flawlessly in DOS, does not require CS and SS if the PCMCIA controller is Intel 82365-compatible. But the stupid thing is that sound does not work if the CD-ROM is not connected. The driver just does not load, complaining that CD unit not found. I tried to use EXP Soundnote drivers and Argosy PCMCIA sound card driver - they don't work as well due to card ID mismatch, I guess.

exp.png
Filename
exp.png
File size
366.33 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 337 of 576, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lolo799 wrote on 2021-02-08, 12:35:

That is weird, I had that exact card without the cdrom drive and sound was working fine with the S16 drivers.

Now that you wrote this, I thought that maybe S16 driver requires CS/SS drivers. I think I tried without them.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 338 of 576, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lolo799 wrote on 2021-02-08, 12:35:

That is weird, I had that exact card without the cdrom drive and sound was working fine with the S16 drivers.

Maybe you had a different version of the card? Mine still does not work with S16 driver, neither with SC/SS nor without.

IMG_2753.JPG
Filename
IMG_2753.JPG
File size
78.1 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart