AWE64 Legacy

Topic actions

Reply 540 of 779, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
H_Rush wrote on 2021-02-10, 18:33:

Unisound and Creative CTCM both work fine in DOS for init.

AWE Gold is not about this project. We use Value versions as donors.

I think what CMB75 might have meant is that, because of the AWE64 Legacy coming to the market, the AWE64 Gold is starting to look much less desirable/valuable so anybody with a stockpile of them might be feeling some pressure to try to offload them while there is still demand .

Ironically, the sheer fact that there are more AWE64 Gold cards on the market at once is likely to drive prices down as well .

Reply 541 of 779, by igna78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unisound and Creative CTCM both work fine in DOS for init.

Ok, thank you very much

Reply 542 of 779, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

oh, this is kinda bad, I had stashed away some money to try to obtain one of these as I really want one, but now that prices are announced, I can see it's nowhere near enough... and me being currently unemployed means I will need to find a good job within a month so that I'll get 1st salary in time for the cards going up for sale... damn, I wonder if I can make it

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 543 of 779, by CMB75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know, it was supposed to be a joke about getting rid of your past days heroes in the wake of a new champion...

In fact, I bought a CT4520 last year an posted in this thread, just in case ... Re: New sound card project: AWE64 Legacy

Reply 544 of 779, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CMB75 wrote on 2021-02-10, 20:26:

I know, it was supposed to be a joke about getting rid of your past days heroes in the wake of a new champion...

In fact, I bought a CT4520 last year an posted in this thread, just in case ... Re: New sound card project: AWE64 Legacy

I have 4 or 5 of them now (CT4500 and CT4520) . Last one cost me a very reasonable 30 CAN$ last October when I hit the issues described here Noisy AWE64 recording from any input (line in, EMU8000 MIDI, etc) + upcoming AWE64 comparison . I have since gotten side-tracked multiple times so, but I was planning on testing these to
a) Gauge sample variability in relation to sound quality
b) Find the "best" card among those I owned

Laziness has, so far, made me stick to my original CT4500 as it has "tolerably" clean output and any issues it has with its ADC circuit can be bypassed by recording its output externally, but I may come back to this eventually .

I am looking forward to the AWE64 Legacy .

Reply 546 of 779, by ibmapc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CMB75 wrote on 2021-02-09, 20:50:
ibmapc wrote on 2021-02-09, 20:14:
hard1k wrote on 2021-02-09, 13:00:

€300 - assembled PCB, PayPal as a gift...

Why as a gift?

fees, because...

Look, PayPal provides a service. Like it or not, service costs money. Should PayPal provide this service for nothing? I don't think so!! Please don't ask people to send money as a "Gift". This is meant for friends and family. Sorry, but you are neither of these!

Also, buyer beware. When sending money as a "gift", PayPal buyer protection does not exist, so, buyers are on their own!

Reply 547 of 779, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you guys for your support and kind words! Your patience and collaboration has also contributed a lot for this project to come true.

Several comments:

CMB75 wrote on 2021-02-09, 15:02:

Awesome news, I’d take a fully assembled one.

No pre-orders yet for assembled boards, stay tuned!

tbx wrote on 2021-02-09, 16:13:

Really looking forward to getting my hands on one if there's enough stock.

Stay tuned. The stock will be limited, so once we announce the availability of the final assembled boards / final bare PCBs, it will be first come first served.

JimWest wrote on 2021-02-09, 17:28:

Are you also planning a kit with components?

Nope, only fully assembled/tested boards and bare PCBs.

Scythifuge wrote on 2021-02-10, 03:25:

How many will be available, and what would be needed to make another batch in the future?

A few. As far as there is stable demand, we'll be ready to produce more.

igna78 wrote on 2021-02-10, 17:30:

Little curiosity, what software should you use to manage the card?

I strongly advise to use UNISOUND, but that's my personal opinion. It's just a great tool, way ahead of any standard drivers for any sound card.

ibmapc wrote on 2021-02-11, 01:11:

Look, PayPal provides a service. Like it or not, service costs money. Should PayPal provide this service for nothing? I don't think so!! Please don't ask people to send money as a "Gift". This is meant for friends and family. Sorry, but you are neither of these!
Also, buyer beware. When sending money as a "gift", PayPal buyer protection does not exist, so, buyers are on their own!

Also, seller beware. When receiving money as a "sale", PayPal buyer protection will screw you up if the buyer turns out to be a greedy scammer, so, sellers are on their own!
Talking serious, we're not making business on these. If you want an invoice, a warranty, a buyer protection, a compliance certificate, a whatsoever other document/protection/rights/liabilities, you've come to a wrong thread. Our project = our rules, like it or not 😀 And please don't tell me what to do, unless you're my friend or family. Sorry, but you are neither of these!

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 548 of 779, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ibmapc wrote on 2021-02-11, 01:11:
CMB75 wrote on 2021-02-09, 20:50:
ibmapc wrote on 2021-02-09, 20:14:

Why as a gift?

fees, because...

PayPal is a scumsucking megacorp. If there is an opportunity to abuse their service I will do so with no remorse. Fuck em!

Reply 549 of 779, by AEV80

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, been following this project for awhile and bought a donor CT4520 in anticipation, congrats on finalizing your design.
I was wondering how many parts I could reuse from a donor CT4520 apart from the main IC if I eventually ordered a bare board and bracket combo?

Reply 550 of 779, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very few, to be honest. We've reworked almost everything that could be re-done without the original equipment manufacturer support and documentation.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 552 of 779, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was any game or application actually found that addresses the OPL3 through the SB base port address (default of 220h) rather than 388h, as was discussed starting here Re: New sound card project: AWE64 Legacy ? I do not recall seeing a conclusive answer to that in this thread (or I have somehow missed it).

Reply 553 of 779, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2021-02-11, 06:29:

Was any game or application actually found that addresses the OPL3 through the SB base port address (default of 220h) rather than 388h, as was discussed starting here Re: New sound card project: AWE64 Legacy ? I do not recall seeing a conclusive answer to that in this thread (or I have somehow missed it).

I think Doom targets the SB address when "Sound Blaster" is selected for music in setup, while targeting 388 if "Adlib" is used instead. I could be wrong though as it's been a while since I tested this.

My use case was disabling CQM on an AWE64 card via CTCU.EXE and using a YMF724 card to provide genuine OPL3.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 554 of 779, by H_Rush

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-02-11, 06:50:

I think Doom targets the SB address when "Sound Blaster" is selected for music in setup, while targeting 388 if "Adlib" is used instead. I could be wrong though as it's been a while since I tested this.

That's right.
Move CQM from 388h to, for example, 398h and choose Adlib in your game's Music Card Setup to use OPL. Our manual will cover these settings in details.

Reply 555 of 779, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
H_Rush wrote on 2021-02-11, 12:53:
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-02-11, 06:50:

That's right.
Move CQM from 388h to, for example, 398h and choose Adlib in your game's Music Card Setup to use OPL. Our manual will cover these settings in details.

Thank you to both of you, but that does not fully answer my question . I will try summarize my current understanding and clarify my questioning .

My understanding:

Setting CQM to an address other than 398h is a given if I do not want to use it and do not want a conflict with the real OPL3 on port 388h .

However, choosing Adlib (not Adlib Gold) for music in a game or application ensures that the the real OPL3 will be used as an OPL2 .

Also, even with CQM mapped to 398h, as far as I understand, CQM will still be accessible through the sound blaster base port address (default of 220h) and this might have been, at one time, the "official" way to even get OPL3 stereo on an SB Pro, for example . See Re: New sound card project: AWE64 Legacy

To be clearer :

a) Are there any OPL3 enhanced games or applications that will only talk to an OPL3 using OPL3 "mode" (using its specific features like 4-operator mode or 2-operator mode with 18 voice polyphony and stereo ) through the sound blaster base port address (default of 220h)?

b) If the answer to a is yes, is there a way to get the aforementiomed OPL3 enhanced games to work with the real OPL3 on AWE64 Legacy or will they only work through CQM on the AWE64 Legacy ?

In other words, is the AWE64 Legacy's real OPL3 capable of being addressed through the sound blaster base port address (default of 220h) and if it is not, will that prevent any existing OPL3 enhanced games from using the OPL3's enhanced features with the AWE64 Legacy's real OPL3 ?

EDIT: Tried to state questioning more clearly

Reply 556 of 779, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

a) We haven't identified any. Asked quite a lot of people, nobody has recalled any titles. However I admit that they may exist, albeit not so well known (therefore, not so worthy). We've tested quite a few games (the notorious example is Wolf), and all of them go to 0x388 even if SB is chosen for music in setup.
b) If such titles do exist, they will only work with CQM hardwired to the SB base port.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 557 of 779, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hard1k wrote on 2021-02-11, 16:02:

a) We haven't identified any. Asked quite a lot of people, nobody has recalled any titles. However I admit that they may exist, albeit not so well known (therefore, not so worthy). We've tested quite a few games (the notorious example is Wolf), and all of them go to 0x388 even if SB is chosen for music in setup.
b) If such titles do exist, they will only work with CQM hardwired to the SB base port.

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me .

EDIT: I was not worried, I just wanted to make sure that your investigation had concluded that the scenario was unlikely/rare and that I understood correctly . I am a bit OCD on these things . 😉

Reply 559 of 779, by AndrewK2685

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Congrats on the release and good luck!!
I'm also interested in an assembled unit, when these will be available.
Also, from your pics I noticed an array of holes (maybe for pins?) mentioned as DBG
Just out of curiosity what are these for?
Also, is it possible to send us the manual to understand more about the card?
cheers!