VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a k6 computer that I am running windows ME on at the moment all I have to play sound is a audigy SE and I'm told that 9x won't support it. I have a audigy 2 zs coming from my friend but he hasn't mailed it yet and I don't know when it will arrive is there a way I can get sound out of the pc speaker or something? or maybe transmit it over the network to my speakers on my windows 10 computer that shares the same setup. the other option is I just wait for the zs I don't want to buy another sound card just to use for a few weeks. so if there isn't a way I'll just live without sound.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 15, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

what exactly are you trying to do?
do you have on board audio by any chance?
what do you mean "transmit it over the network"? sure you can stream or copy audio via the network to play back on your other PC but I don't know how that would help you with whatever you're doing?
and yes there are ways to make the PC speaker play audio in Win9x but still... what exactly do you want to do?

Reply 2 of 15, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-02-16, 02:42:

I have a k6 computer that I am running windows ME on at the moment all I have to play sound is a audigy SE and I'm told that 9x won't support it. I have a audigy 2 zs coming from my friend but he hasn't mailed it yet and I don't know when it will arrive is there a way I can get sound out of the pc speaker or something? or maybe transmit it over the network to my speakers on my windows 10 computer that shares the same setup. the other option is I just wait for the zs I don't want to buy another sound card just to use for a few weeks. so if there isn't a way I'll just live without sound.

In a pinch, you should be able to use any generic class compliant USB audio device . See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hard … --usbaudio-sys- for features and limitations .

Reply 4 of 15, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2021-02-16, 02:48:
what exactly are you trying to do? do you have on board audio by any chance? what do you mean "transmit it over the network"? su […]
Show full quote

what do you mean "transmit it over the network"? sure you can stream or copy audio via the network to play back on your other PC but I don't know how that would help you with whatever you're doing?
and yes there are ways to make the PC speaker play audio in Win9x but still... what exactly do you want to do?

I'm trying to play mist and stratosphere but the only sound card I have while I'm waiting for the other one won't work under the OS I'm trying to run the games in. I was wondering if there was a way to get it to play over the pc speaker while I wait for the sound card that I will use.

darry wrote on 2021-02-16, 02:55:

In a pinch, you should be able to use any generic class compliant USB audio device . See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hard … --usbaudio-sys- for features and limitations .

that occurred to me to try usb sound but I don't have any at my disposal.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 5 of 15, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-02-16, 03:21:
I'm trying to play mist and stratosphere but the only sound card I have while I'm waiting for the other one won't work under the […]
Show full quote
imi wrote on 2021-02-16, 02:48:
what exactly are you trying to do? do you have on board audio by any chance? what do you mean "transmit it over the network"? su […]
Show full quote

I'm trying to play mist and stratosphere but the only sound card I have while I'm waiting for the other one won't work under the OS I'm trying to run the games in. I was wondering if there was a way to get it to play over the pc speaker while I wait for the sound card that I will use.

darry wrote on 2021-02-16, 02:55:

that occurred to me to try usb sound but I don't have any at my disposal.

If you type "usb sound" into Amazon, you can probably find something with a 4 star or higher rating that will likely ship to your location (at least if you are in North America) for less than 20 $US, including shipping .
EDIT: And receive it within 48 hours, if you are lucky . Alternatively, any local computer shop should have some. Also, I would not expect fantastic audio quality at those prices . If you want something with better quality, a Fiio E10K is great but significantly more expensive (about 76 $US).

EDIT2 : Oh, and if you try a USB sound device under Windows and find the volume abnormally low, run the patches below once the USB device is connected and its drivers are installed . Source ( http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm ) .
Also, you may notice, that the volume mixer icon does not show with a USB audio device set as default (at least it did not for me). You can manually invoke the mixer by running sndvol32.exe , which will let you adjust levels .
P.S. There is a similar set of fixes for Windows ME .

Microsoft Windows 98 SE WDM/USB Audio Driver WDMAUD.DRV 4.10.2223, KMIXER.SYS 4.10.2223, PORTCLS.SYS 4.10.2223, SBEMUL.SYS 4.10.2223, SYSAUDIO.SYS 4.10.2223, USBAUDIO.SYS 4.10.2224 + WDMAUD.SYS 4.10.2226 Fix:
Direct download [374 KB, English].
MUST install current Drivers for your particular WDM/USB Audio device BEFORE installing this Fix!
Example:
Crystal sound cards require Driver 6.13.10.4140. OLDer ones do NOT work!

Filename
win98_usb_audio_1_269601USA8.exe
File size
373 KiB
Downloads
96 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Microsoft Windows 98 SE PortCls Devices PORTCLS.SYS 4.10.2224 Fix:
Direct download [210 KB, English].
MUST install WDM/USB Audio Driver Fix above FIRST!

Filename
win98_usb_audio_2_321467usa8.exe
File size
209.36 KiB
Downloads
80 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

EDIT3 : Corrected references .

Last edited by darry on 2021-02-16, 05:25. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 6 of 15, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you don't want to spend any money on a temporary audio device, then the short answer is probably no. If you don't have an audio device to use, then I can't think of any way to magic-up sound output.

You could use your Audigy SE (that's one of those weird CA0106-based things, yeah?) with a compatible operating system instead (2000? XP?), is one semi-obvious option.

You were recently messing with one of these cards weren't you, @Pierre32?

Reply 7 of 15, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-02-16, 03:59:
If you don't want to spend any money on a temporary audio device, then the short answer is probably no. If you don't have an aud […]
Show full quote

If you don't want to spend any money on a temporary audio device, then the short answer is probably no. If you don't have an audio device to use, then I can't think of any way to magic-up sound output.

You could use your Audigy SE (that's one of those weird CA0106-based things, yeah?) with a compatible operating system instead (2000? XP?), is one semi-obvious option.

it's a dual booting machine and the other OS supports it but those games don't like that os

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 8 of 15, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep. And after flipping the table I gently placed it back into storage. No luck with that chip in Win98!

Reply 9 of 15, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pierre32 wrote on 2021-02-16, 04:15:

Yep. And after flipping the table I gently placed it back into storage. No luck with that chip in Win98!

haha

I guess from what I've heard these cards were mainly sold to OEMs with basically no chance of them being installed into a 9x machine is my understanding which is why they never made a 9x driver.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 10 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-02-16, 04:05:

it's a dual booting machine and the other OS supports it but those games don't like that os

No need to be secretive. What's the other OS?

If you can get this machine to boot a live Linux distribution, you should have no problem getting Myst (I assume that's what you mean by "mist"?) running under ScummVM.

Even if you could get the PC speaker to do something, it would sound like absolute garbage.

Reply 11 of 15, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you do take the USB audio route (for less than 20$) and have low volume issues under Windows 98 SE , it is a known issue for which there is a fix . See my edited post above .

Reply 12 of 15, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote on 2021-02-16, 04:44:
No need to be secretive. What's the other OS? […]
Show full quote
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-02-16, 04:05:

No need to be secretive. What's the other OS?

If you can get this machine to boot a live Linux distribution, you should have no problem getting Myst (I assume that's what you mean by "mist"?) running under ScummVM.

Even if you could get the PC speaker to do something, it would sound like absolute garbage.

windows 7 🤣 yeah I originally typed myst but thought I spelled it wrong 🤣

that might work because linux would support the sound card my best bet is probably a debian jessie live cd or older as it's a k6 but I'm inept when it comes to linux is scummvm hard to set up?
I suppose if linux and the game are the answer I may as well just run it on a modern computer. I appear to have strayed 🙁 ABORT! 🤣

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 14 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-02-16, 05:45:

I'm inept when it comes to linux is scummvm hard to set up?

It's Linux, so in theory all you need to do is type "sudo apt-get install scummvm" at the command prompt. Except it's Linux, so you'll probably discover that doesn't quite work right for some baffling reason and find yourself screaming bloody murder at your computer an hour later.

I suppose if linux and the game are the answer I may as well just run it on a modern computer. I appear to have strayed 🙁 ABORT! 🤣

Well, yes, if you absolutely have to play this game right now and can't possibly wait for your sound card to arrive in the mail and are prepared to resort to bizarre hacks to get "temporary sound", why the heck wouldn't you run it on a modern computer!? It's Myst! It's not like there's something of tremendous value to be gained by running it on something ancient. And if you're trying to replicate some kind of old intangible nostalgic experience, then you should just wait for your hardware to arrive.

Reply 15 of 15, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The world is full of $10-$20 budget sound cards (online auction sites, or in-person at your region's donation stores, etc), but if you can't access one... well, while you wait, have you heard of karaoke?? 😉