VOGONS

First post, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember this machine on demo at Radio Shack with the ATI Rage version of Mechwarrior 2 running. Was quite impressive for 96. The machine didn’t look like much else at the time but it had a price tag to match. Recently got ahold of just the tower and I’d like to detail my journey into trying to make this machine work without the original media console or monitor.

Here she is after cleaning her up. And first up, where is the power button 🤣.

Specs:

200MHz Intel Pentium
256k Cache
64MB EDO memory, originally 32 from factory.
Onboard ATI Rage I w/2megs of video ram
3.2GB IDE HD

Attachments

Reply 2 of 32, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I remember those. Pretty cool design!

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 3 of 32, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Totally agree, was cutting edge for 96 imo.

So here’s what the inside looked like, disgusting but not unusual given the age. It’s interesting how IBM was using flat head screws when the rest of the industry was using Phillips.

There are two screws underneath the top front handle you remove and the whole top case pulls forward and off.

Inside we find the dreaded MWave Modem Sound Card combo unit on the bottom. You can also see the “Media Console” ISA control board above.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 32, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Discovered a way to power it up via IBM documentation!

Just press this microswitch on the ISA media control board. See where my finger is pointing.

Great success!

Attachments

Reply 5 of 32, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for not trashing this machine Mr. Biggerstaff. After wiping this drive I installed an SD to IDE adapter and installed Windows 98SE. I was able to harness the power of the onboard ATI Rage 1 to fire up some Mechwarrior 2 Rage Edition! This is exactly what I remembered being demoed at Radio Shack. It was def a step above the original release with its texture mapped graphics but the frame rate, ouch. Still I find it playable with a couple adjustments, namely turning off texture filtering.

Attachments

Reply 6 of 32, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Chadti99 wrote on 2021-02-13, 15:49:

Discovered a way to power it up via IBM documentation!

Just press this microswitch on the ISA media control board. See where my finger is pointing.

Great success!

I don't think I've seen that headline yet
"VOGONs member finds the power button - impressed with the results click here"
Yeah, it's a nice find 😁

I had something similar happen to me once. I had this Shuttle mobo that just wouldn't power up...
until I checked the manual and saw I'd been tapping the "Clear CMOS" button all along...talk about a "duh" moment...😳
(I suspect the previous owner had done that same exact thing 'cuz he sold it so cheap!)

Reply 7 of 32, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haha, thanks! I’ve had plenty of those moments myself. I was determined to make this thing work with just the tower. Here’s the section of the doc that clued me in. I’ve also found a two pin header that can power the system up and I’ll share my solution for adding an external power button soon!

Attachments

Reply 8 of 32, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’ve been testing a Spectra Evergreen K6-2 400Mhz upgrade in this machine and while the results aren’t spectacular it does perform a bit better. This is Unreal running on a Voodoo2 with Glide at 512x384 running Timedemo 1 before and after. High Texture quality setting.

I’ve got a K6-3 on the way, crossing my fingers it will post!

Attachments

Reply 9 of 32, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some quick performance numbers with GLQuake on a Voodoo2:

640x480 timedemo 1 with sound

P200=~40fps
K6-2 400@66bus=~50fps
K6-2 400@66bus+MiniGL1.47(K62 opt)=60fps

I’ve never owned a K6 so had no idea the right miniGL driver made a difference, cool stuff!

Would be cool if there was a specific K6-2 driver for Unreal, the game is just out of reach for this machine.

Reply 10 of 32, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fired up Tweak Bios and discovered some terrible factory bios settings in place. Was able to optimize a bit and hot damn almost a 50% gain, up 8fps in Unreal . It’s actually borderline playable now.

Attachments

Reply 11 of 32, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RetroMachines … 78214308872368/

Is this the same as this user on Facebook has?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 12 of 32, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-02-16, 20:22:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RetroMachines … 78214308872368/

Is this the same as this user on Facebook has?

I’m not on FaceBook so I’m unable to see the pic, if you can share it another way would love to see it.

Reply 13 of 32, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alrighty, got a K6-3 450Mhz and swapped out the K6-2 on the Spectra Adapter. To my surprise it booted and is working without issue at 66*6=400Mhz. I’m seeing a boost in Unreal from 27fps average to 32.5fps.

Attachments

Reply 14 of 32, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Next up. I’ve got a 512k cache module and a newer version of the main board from a 2162 that has support for a 75Mhz FSB and an upgraded Rage II onboard with SGRAM.

In related news, I got ahold of the media console and original monitor but both were damaged in shipping 🙁 . I’m sure I’ll find another set eventually but it sucks to see these things get destroyed.

Reply 15 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Chadti99 wrote on 2021-02-09, 23:03:
Totally agree, was cutting edge for 96 imo. […]
Show full quote

Totally agree, was cutting edge for 96 imo.

So here’s what the inside looked like, disgusting but not unusual given the age. It’s interesting how IBM was using flat head screws when the rest of the industry was using Phillips.

There are two screws underneath the top front handle you remove and the whole top case pulls forward and off.

Inside we find the dreaded MWave Modem Sound Card combo unit on the bottom. You can also see the “Media Console” ISA control board above.

I've never been much of a fan of IBM computers due to them being less IBM compatible xD (more proprietary stuff so I didn't like them as much, especially since all their 2.88MB floppy drives were more or less unusable because IBM used non-standard connectors for much of their stuff). But this machine looks timeless. It looks pretty good actually!

Btw, if you think IBM using flat head screws was bad, IBM would usually be using those horrible torx screws in virtually all of their systems of the later 80s and early 90s :'(

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 32, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Happy to report I’m running reliably with a 75Mhz FSB. I need a bit more time to be sure but I adjusted the ISA bus divider and wait states to the following using TweakBios and load them at startup via autoexec. Seeing a few more FPS in Unreal!

Attachments

Reply 17 of 32, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The floppy drive sits outside the main chassis? Weird.
It's almost like they couldn't decide on a tower or a desktop, so they just went with both.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 18 of 32, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

same for the CD drive. it's a neat setup actually - makes swapping disks more convenient without resorting to the full hulking desktop. they could have probably made the actual PC case smaller too, as there's no need for what looks like 3 5.25" bays.

Reply 19 of 32, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Used a tool to enable Write Allocation for the k6-3 and I’ve boosted Unreal FPS quite a bit more!

Attachments