VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 38420 of 52737, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Excellent, does this have nearly 1 inch long screw on tip to slip under the suction cup? HV probe grounded to the CRT's grounding strap is also useful to detect leakage by hovering close to anything to find the leak and listen for different noise.

We found many leaks with this method. One had pinhole in rubber suction cup and one time we found a pinhole in frit seal that bonds face glass to the glass bell.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 38421 of 52737, by halls_well

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2021-03-10, 18:07:

also not really retro but related... something to poke around safely inside CRTs ^^

You are braver than me, I stay away from those things unless they've been unplugged a looooooong time 😱

I got bit by the retro bug and decided to replace the Permedia II in my SS7 with something less... terrible. I got a new Number Nine SR9, and in case anyone's worried it's a counterfeit, the watermark is good 😉 . It's no Voodoo, but Freespace no longer turns into a slideshow during action, so I'm not complaining!

I also added a used Quadro 2 MXR for my PIII build, I have no idea how it made it out of the early 2000's because that sucker runs HOT. I added a heat sink, hopefully the board can stop discoloring now 😁

Attachments

• IMG_8348.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_8348.jpg
    File size
    489.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_8366.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_8366.jpg
    File size
    769.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_8347.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_8347.jpg
    File size
    841.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 38422 of 52737, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-03-10, 18:27:

Excellent, does this have nearly 1 inch long screw on tip to slip under the suction cup?

there's a hook and a pointy tip (like shown on the packaging) included, it's not installed on the pic, still in it's original packaging, the probe is new apparently, got it for a fraction of the retail price x3

TheMobRules wrote on 2021-03-10, 18:26:

The labels do look dubious... but they seem to have '96 datecodes, like the rest of the components on the board. So whether they are real or fake, I would guess those came with the board originally, unless someone later on got chips with '96 dates, which would be quite a coincidence.

yeah but even the various fakes around have old datecodes from what I've seen, maybe they were already faked back then? ^^
I'll have to investigate a bit further, try acetone and/or peeling the surface off.

Reply 38423 of 52737, by Retroit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BlackLinus24 wrote on 2019-12-28, 21:29:
Benetton93 wrote on 2019-12-26, 22:01:
Another quick report about my recent pickups. And it'll be my last report in 2019 year. Videocards this time. nVidia GeForce 760 […]
Show full quote

Another quick report about my recent pickups. And it'll be my last report in 2019 year.
Videocards this time.
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS (XFX)
Not quite retrogaming thing (or rather it'll be borderline retrogaming), but i love this design so much.

nVidia GeForce 4 MX440 (Xpert Vision, PCI)
Along with ATi Radeon 9200SE this is one of the most powerful PCI graphics card in my collection. I was looking for Riva TNT2 M64 PCI, but i found this thing for very cheap in local internet-market. Amazing, isn't it? 😀

Cirrus Logic CL-GD5465 (Pine PT-5965-27)

Second videocard with RDRAM in my collection, and first Cirrus Logic with AGP. Looks very small and cute... 😊
Gotta compare it with mine Chromatic Mpact 2.

nVidia Riva TNT (Diamond Viper V550 SDR ATXTV)

First Diamond Multimedia card with Nvidia chip in my collection.

Matrox Millenium P650

It's kinda difficult nowadays to find Matrox Parhelia here in Russia. I guess i'll call this addition to my collection "Step 1 to Parhelia".

Happy belated Christmas guys (we in Russia celebrating it on January 7th, so it's not belated for me 😎 ), and Happy New Year, that will be full of retrotech! 😊

Hi,
I think I could organize for you an almost new Matrox Parhelia512. I wouldn't want any $$$ for it but instead would be interested in trading it for an interesting ISA Sound Card. Interested?

Hi did you done you trade exchange? If you still have this card which ISA sound card are you interested in?

Reply 38424 of 52737, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2021-03-10, 17:19:

I don't usually buy hardware in boxed state.

But when I do...

16153965959700.jpg

Nice! Just be careful not to connect/disconnect the external rack when the computer is powered on

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 38425 of 52737, by whitepawn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@imi

Did you tried to boot this board?I have booted mine but yours is VGA version of it.I finally found manuals for both ver:c and VGA versions.Please check my post:
PSC-486 VER:C Jumper or manual information needed
If you can test it please make a backup your bios and add my topic if possible.I want to compare it with my version.Detailed pictures also help.
It is off-topic in here to disscuss about his board so please post your toughts in my topic.

Reply 38426 of 52737, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here be me new Vibra 16c that just showed up. It's a CT4180.

I Just realized all I have are Vibra cards. My current one is a 16s. I need to spend the money and get a fancy OPL3 Sound Blaster.

Attachments

• vibra_16c.jp[g.jpg
    Filename
    vibra_16c.jp[g.jpg
    File size
    177.45 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 38427 of 52737, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got this ECS 386A mobo from ewaste. The guy working there found it inside an anti-static bag. Its in mint condition. Beautiful looking mobo. No battery acid on, but at the same time there doesn't seem to be a place where there could have been a battery.

There's an empty socket near the DIN keyboard connector. I dunno what's supposed to go there.

There was originally a 386DX-25 in there, but I searched around and popped a 386DX-33 in there instead. Later I went online and found out the max FSB is 25mhz. I remember watching a Youtube video of a guy swapping out the crystal oscillator on a mobo so he can run a higher clocked chip (it was Necroware I believe). I have this 66mhz crystal lying around. Maybe if I install some crystal sockets, I could have a really amazing board.

I also have a AMD 386DX-40

IMG_20210311_163643.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210311_163643.jpg
File size
1.4 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Attachments

Reply 38428 of 52737, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very good day today at work (got a major promotion), so to celebrate - after uncorking the best wine in the house - ordered some nice stuff - a Model F keyboard and a Tekram Slot1 motherboard with 3 ISA slots, SBLink and CuMine support (like late revision Asus P2B, just not so horrendously expensive). Will post pics when they arrived.

Reply 38429 of 52737, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aublak wrote on 2021-03-11, 21:59:
I got this ECS 386A mobo from ewaste. The guy working there found it inside an anti-static bag. Its in mint condition. Beautiful […]
Show full quote

I got this ECS 386A mobo from ewaste. The guy working there found it inside an anti-static bag. Its in mint condition. Beautiful looking mobo. No battery acid on, but at the same time there doesn't seem to be a place where there could have been a battery.

There's an empty socket near the DIN keyboard connector. I dunno what's supposed to go there.

There was originally a 386DX-25 in there, but I searched around and popped a 386DX-33 in there instead. Later I went online and found out the max FSB is 25mhz. I remember watching a Youtube video of a guy swapping out the crystal oscillator on a mobo so he can run a higher clocked chip (it was Necroware I believe). I have this 66mhz crystal lying around. Maybe if I install some crystal sockets, I could have a really amazing board.

I also have a AMD 386DX-40

IMG_20210311_163643.jpg

Nice board. Not sure what empty that socket is for but next to it is a header (with a jumper) that has "ext" written next to it. This seems to imply an external battery connector. Not 100% sure though.

There is an external battery header near the AT power connector. It says BAT and is the typical 4 pin as well. 😀

Reply 38431 of 52737, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2021-03-11, 22:05:

Very good day today at work (got a major promotion), so to celebrate - after uncorking the best wine in the house - ordered some nice stuff - a Model F keyboard and a Tekram Slot1 motherboard with 3 ISA slots, SBLink and CuMine support (like late revision Asus P2B, just not so horrendously expensive). Will post pics when they arrived.

Congratulations to your promotion! 👍

Reply 38432 of 52737, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

S370, AGP, PCI, 2xISA, USB, sblink...oh my!

This is my favorite mobo form factor, add in via C3 for ultimate dos-to-win95 era retro gaming.

Attachments

Reply 38433 of 52737, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aublak wrote on 2021-03-11, 22:19:

Ah, I see the BAT now. I must have missed that

I have one of those boards. Keep in mind that it needs a 6V battery (2 x CR2032 or 4 x AA/AAA). If you use 4.5V or less, it will appear to work for a few days but as soon as the voltage drops a bit with usage the date and CMOS settings will reset.

Also, be sure to populate both RAM banks on the board to enable memory interleave, this will allow you to reduce the wait states for better performance. Enable system/video BIOS shadow as well.

The unpopulated socket is for a chip that generates a "power good" signal in case your power supply doesn't, but if you're using a regular AT unit you don't need this, just keep the jumper next to it set to "EXT".

Finally, while swapping the oscillator may allow you to run a 33MHz CPU, there may be stability issues as many of the chips on the board are rated at 25MHz. But if you have the oscillators at hand I guess it won't hurt to try.

Reply 38434 of 52737, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheMobRules wrote on 2021-03-12, 01:28:
I have one of those boards. Keep in mind that it needs a 6V battery (2 x CR2032 or 4 x AA/AAA). If you use 4.5V or less, it wil […]
Show full quote
Aublak wrote on 2021-03-11, 22:19:

Ah, I see the BAT now. I must have missed that

I have one of those boards. Keep in mind that it needs a 6V battery (2 x CR2032 or 4 x AA/AAA). If you use 4.5V or less, it will appear to work for a few days but as soon as the voltage drops a bit with usage the date and CMOS settings will reset.

Also, be sure to populate both RAM banks on the board to enable memory interleave, this will allow you to reduce the wait states for better performance. Enable system/video BIOS shadow as well.

The unpopulated socket is for a chip that generates a "power good" signal in case your power supply doesn't, but if you're using a regular AT unit you don't need this, just keep the jumper next to it set to "EXT".

Finally, while swapping the oscillator may allow you to run a 33MHz CPU, there may be stability issues as many of the chips on the board are rated at 25MHz. But if you have the oscillators at hand I guess it won't hurt to try.

Thanks for the tips.

That's info I can't get from a manual.

Reply 38435 of 52737, by Hakeshu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ow boy, I finally managed to get the awesome Roland Sound Canvas SC-55. It was a fair price and it's working great. Now just waiting for the MIDI cable to arrive so I can play DOS games at their best.

I'm really, really happy with this purchase.

Attachments

• sc-552.jpeg
    Filename
    sc-552.jpeg
    File size
    65.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • sc-551.jpeg
    Filename
    sc-551.jpeg
    File size
    54.66 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 38436 of 52737, by CMB75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hakeshu wrote on 2021-03-12, 04:32:

Ow boy, I finally managed to get the awesome Roland Sound Canvas SC-55. It was a fair price and it's working great. Now just waiting for the MIDI cable to arrive so I can play DOS games at their best.

If you didn't do that already, remember to remove/replace the CR2032 in the vertical battery holder. There're several reported cases of batteries that started leaking, mine did too.

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Reply 38437 of 52737, by Hakeshu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CMB75 wrote on 2021-03-12, 06:45:
Hakeshu wrote on 2021-03-12, 04:32:

If you didn't do that already, remember to remove/replace the CR2032 in the vertical battery holder. There're several reported cases of batteries that started leaking, mine did too.

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

First thing that I did. Battery was in really bad shape, but luckily no leak on the board itself.

Attachments

Reply 38438 of 52737, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

C&T chipsets are not meant to be pushed either in bios menu or overclocking past the stamped speed. Yours is stamped 25MHz. Leave these alone. I had C&T chipset back in the day and they will not do anything faster.

Basically terrible.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.