VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by WazMeister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

As per my previous post, I got a old 486 to basically feel like a kid again and show my daughters some classic PC gaming! (I really don't think their care).

I manged to get a Gotek drive in it for getting DOS etc on a CF card, have PC running fine with the 2 gigs and DOS loaded.
Trouble I'm having is the modern PC to understand the CF so I can transfer some old games to it and files.

I've read and search on here and followed the guidence steps below this post from someone else with same problem, still issues. Windows 10 just wants to format the CF card as soon as I put it in the USB reader (tried various readers too).
One thing I've just noted..
I FDISK /mbr and/or Fdisk the CF and set a 504mb max drive partition then installed DOS (not this time, but often when trial and error and reinstall DOS it fails at 99% with the command.com file.. but everything works fine after... thats another story or post I guess).
I took the CF once DOS was on and put it in modern PC and it found it! Only trouble what I thought 504 in fdisk is, was actually 54mb in modern (i guess I missed a zero). But the PC found it and I could test dragging files over and booting to DOS again.
Going next step I used DISK MANAGER to format drive to 2 gig partitions and reinstalled DOS... after this its where the modern PC cant find it. I guess this Disk Manager overlay software is doing something to the format or structure that Windows 10 wont know?

CAn someone please please advise.... and to be extra cheeky I have a ESS sound card ISA Rev 2.0 audio drv ES1869F coming today! How would one install this for it to work?

Steps from another post where issues were same- I use Disk Manager instead of Maxtor as I cant get maxtor to the DOS PC (its too big for gotek / floppies) I also tried the Ez Drive but that dont find the CF card as a IDE....

- Chuck CF card into 486 with floppy drive. - In BIOS set the drive to the standard config thing that's common. - Run fdisk, and […]
Show full quote

- Chuck CF card into 486 with floppy drive.
- In BIOS set the drive to the standard config thing that's common.
- Run fdisk, and when prompted set the max drive partition size to 504mb.
- Install DOS as normal.
- Run the Maxtor drive overlay software on the card and set it to two 1gb partitions (couldn't get any of the other overlay software to work)
- install DOS again when prompted by the overlay software.
- Done. It verks in the 486 and I can just chuck it in the Win10 machine and copy whatever. Win10 recognizes it as 2 1gb partitions.

Reply 1 of 7, by WazMeister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

P.S When I boot to DOS after On track disk amanger it has a loading HIMEM test thing going on and a sound (dont think its PC speaker) comes out as if its loading or singing me a song?!?!?!?! Same when playing games little beeps etc... again not speaker.. sounds like PSU has a speaker actually... urrrrrrrrrrrrr

Reply 2 of 7, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't dealt with this issue myself but I believe that the fact that you're using OnTrack is your problem. See Ontrack 9.57 on CF card - can't view on modern PC
Another option is to use an XT-IDE bios so you don't need drive overlay software, much info to be found on Vogons.

WazMeister wrote on 2021-03-13, 11:02:

CAn someone please please advise.... and to be extra cheeky I have a ESS sound card ISA Rev 2.0 audio drv ES1869F coming today! How would one install this for it to work?

Use Unisound UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b

Reply 3 of 7, by WazMeister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks!
I was hoping there was a way to do this without having to spend more money or time looking at the XT IDE route.
Is there no other software that works do use on a floppy boot for overal?

p.s thanks for support and time

Reply 4 of 7, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WazMeister wrote on 2021-03-13, 11:24:
Thanks! I was hoping there was a way to do this without having to spend more money or time looking at the XT IDE route. Is there […]
Show full quote

Thanks!
I was hoping there was a way to do this without having to spend more money or time looking at the XT IDE route.

Well the thread I linked mentions other software you could try.

Reply 5 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WazMeister wrote on 2021-03-13, 11:24:
Thanks! I was hoping there was a way to do this without having to spend more money or time looking at the XT IDE route. Is there […]
Show full quote

Thanks!

Hi! I'm kind of a fan of XT IDE Universal BIOS, because it fixes the issue on BIOS level.

So you're not restricted to MS-DOS, but can also use DOS-like OSes, like Real/32, DOS Plus, PC-MOS/386 or other OSes like Minix, OS/2 Warp and so on..

Using XT IDE BIOS is not hard actually, it can be configured for auto-detection, which I did:
Re: IDE disk-on-module + 386

On top of that, it can accelerate some VLB 32-Bit IDE controllers and boot from the serial port or the secondary IDE port.

It's also more compatible to newer LBA translations, as used by Windows 10.

If you don't like XT IDE Universal BIOS (aka XUB),
you can also try out some classic IDE Enhancer BIOSes from the 90s.
They can be installed on an ethernet card, just like XUB.
By using them, you're using authentic/period-correct software and (sometimes) get a Y2K patch for free. 😉

DTC1181 BiOS Adapter 1998 Pre XTIDE Adapter Info and Rom

Good luck! 😃

Edit: You can also get some pre-made ROM chips on eBay for a reasonable price.
Sometimes along with a cheap (simple), pre-configured Ethernet card.

Which isn't that bad of an offer, I think.
Using a network card makes many things easier and allows for playing games with others .

If the card has a BNC connector only, an old LAN router/bridge/hub may help to interface with nowadays ubiquitous RJ45 connections.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 7, by WazMeister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2021-03-13, 11:21:
I haven't dealt with this issue myself but I believe that the fact that you're using OnTrack is your problem. See Ontrack 9.57 o […]
Show full quote

I haven't dealt with this issue myself but I believe that the fact that you're using OnTrack is your problem. See Ontrack 9.57 on CF card - can't view on modern PC
Another option is to use an XT-IDE bios so you don't need drive overlay software, much info to be found on Vogons.

WazMeister wrote on 2021-03-13, 11:02:

Use Unisound UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b

Thats amazing unisound, instantly got sound on MICRo machines!

If i want to add it to autobatexe what code do I use, someone gave a example of for blaster, what do I type for this ESS?
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H1 P330
C:\UNISOUND.COM /V80

Not sure I understand how to change volume in a dos pc with headset as well, how do I do that

Reply 7 of 7, by WazMeister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got it working. Used the win 7 VM WAY... TOOK ALOT OF TOYING WITH TO GET THE USB TO WORK THEN USB CONTROLLER DRIVER ISSUES BUT FINALLY. PLUG AND FINS. CF, transfer large files and off it goes in Dos pc