First post, by WazMeister
As per my previous post, I got a old 486 to basically feel like a kid again and show my daughters some classic PC gaming! (I really don't think their care).
I manged to get a Gotek drive in it for getting DOS etc on a CF card, have PC running fine with the 2 gigs and DOS loaded.
Trouble I'm having is the modern PC to understand the CF so I can transfer some old games to it and files.
I've read and search on here and followed the guidence steps below this post from someone else with same problem, still issues. Windows 10 just wants to format the CF card as soon as I put it in the USB reader (tried various readers too).
One thing I've just noted..
I FDISK /mbr and/or Fdisk the CF and set a 504mb max drive partition then installed DOS (not this time, but often when trial and error and reinstall DOS it fails at 99% with the command.com file.. but everything works fine after... thats another story or post I guess).
I took the CF once DOS was on and put it in modern PC and it found it! Only trouble what I thought 504 in fdisk is, was actually 54mb in modern (i guess I missed a zero). But the PC found it and I could test dragging files over and booting to DOS again.
Going next step I used DISK MANAGER to format drive to 2 gig partitions and reinstalled DOS... after this its where the modern PC cant find it. I guess this Disk Manager overlay software is doing something to the format or structure that Windows 10 wont know?
CAn someone please please advise.... and to be extra cheeky I have a ESS sound card ISA Rev 2.0 audio drv ES1869F coming today! How would one install this for it to work?
Steps from another post where issues were same- I use Disk Manager instead of Maxtor as I cant get maxtor to the DOS PC (its too big for gotek / floppies) I also tried the Ez Drive but that dont find the CF card as a IDE....
- Chuck CF card into 486 with floppy drive. - In BIOS set the drive to the standard config thing that's common. - Run fdisk, and […]
- Chuck CF card into 486 with floppy drive.
- In BIOS set the drive to the standard config thing that's common.
- Run fdisk, and when prompted set the max drive partition size to 504mb.
- Install DOS as normal.
- Run the Maxtor drive overlay software on the card and set it to two 1gb partitions (couldn't get any of the other overlay software to work)
- install DOS again when prompted by the overlay software.
- Done. It verks in the 486 and I can just chuck it in the Win10 machine and copy whatever. Win10 recognizes it as 2 1gb partitions.