VOGONS

Reply 40 of 42, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice tests. You have actually gotten to the same results as I did with my benches (I used a P100 as I don't have a P133 Overdrive for the Socket 5 boards).

Socket 5 & 7 Motherboard VGA Benchmark comparison

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 41 of 42, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mpe wrote on 2020-06-03, 14:10:

Thanks at least I know what it is. I could find any useful stuff about the board (BIOS, manual).

However, I found datasheet for the chipset with register info. So perhaps I can write a tool to compensate lack of BIOS options with some programming...

Is possible to share that datasheet? i'm interested and also got an OPTi Viper-M board (Octek Rhino 5)

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 42 of 42, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMobRules wrote on 2020-05-28, 21:18:
Great work on those benchmarks, I don't know how I missed this thread before! I am very interested in doing a similar comparison […]
Show full quote

Great work on those benchmarks, I don't know how I missed this thread before! I am very interested in doing a similar comparison myself, albeit with a more limited number of boards...

There are two things in particular that I want to compare: 430NX vs 430FX using Async L2 on both, to see how much the chipset by itself impacts performance, and I am also interested in seeing how much better an actual 1994 P100 using the Neptune chipset is vs the best 486 of that year (say, a DX4-100WB with a fast chipset like SiS471)... I know the P100 will be better, but I wonder if the difference will be as big with 1994 Pentium parts.

I have a FIC PT-2003 (430FX) with a COAST slot that is supposed to support both Async and PB cache (confirmed by other owners of this board), but in my case it only works with the Async cache module the board came with, none of the PB modules I have tried seem to be detected. I'll keep looking into that, but it may be related to the board revision or something like that.

Another snag I've hit is my terrible luck with finding 430NX boards, all I have gotten from different hauls have been utterly dead... but I may have just found one that works, we'll see when it arrives.

Sis471 exists, but the dx4wb is a late 95 cpu (means nothing at fps tests)

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene