VOGONS

Reply 20 of 32, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now have write combining enabled for the Voodoo2 and squeezed out more frames! This K6-3 just keeps giving 🤣.

Attachments

Reply 22 of 32, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-04-30, 01:11:

That's really cool. Are there any other tweaks you can do and how's the stability with the tweaks you've done so far?

Thanks! I’ve got some memory coming to bump it up to 128MB, I hope, but other than that it’s about tapped out I think. I might try a GeForce in it for fun. I quite like the ATI Rage/PowerVR/3DFX combo it’s running now though.

Stability is good so far but I’ve not really played anything for over an hour. I should def try looping something for a few hours. If you have any suggestions please let me know!

Reply 24 of 32, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-04-30, 03:25:

Awesome that's a really nice system. Can you use more than 128M in that system?

I’m not sure if it will take more than 64 so I’ll keep trying different combos when I can.

Here’s another comparison before and after the AMD k6 specific optimizations on a Matrox m3D running Unreal. Decent boost!

Attachments

Reply 25 of 32, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was doing some searching for the ram capacity on this system and I was seeing people in different forums saying 256 was the max they could get and with having the K6-3 you'd be able to cache all of it too.

Reply 26 of 32, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-04-30, 12:28:

I was doing some searching for the ram capacity on this system and I was seeing people in different forums saying 256 was the max they could get and with having the K6-3 you'd be able to cache all of it too.

It runs well at 64 but there is some hitching I assume is disk swap. 256 would be nice.

Reply 29 of 32, by echothedolphin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Chadti99 wrote on 2021-02-14, 19:04:

Haha, thanks! I’ve had plenty of those moments myself. I was determined to make this thing work with just the tower. Here’s the section of the doc that clued me in. I’ve also found a two pin header that can power the system up and I’ll share my solution for adding an external power button soon!

Glad you were able to get this system working!

Question if you are able: I have the motherboard for this system without the console card. I have been able to jump the system using the console pins, but have not been able to come across a pinout diagram of the motherboard-side console pinout. Have you seen anything like this? I'm hoping to build a power switch wiring harness, but would like to know exactly what the other pins do if possible. Thank you!

Reply 31 of 32, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
echothedolphin wrote on 2023-10-18, 14:02:
Chadti99 wrote on 2021-02-14, 19:04:

Haha, thanks! I’ve had plenty of those moments myself. I was determined to make this thing work with just the tower. Here’s the section of the doc that clued me in. I’ve also found a two pin header that can power the system up and I’ll share my solution for adding an external power button soon!

Glad you were able to get this system working!

Question if you are able: I have the motherboard for this system without the console card. I have been able to jump the system using the console pins, but have not been able to come across a pinout diagram of the motherboard-side console pinout. Have you seen anything like this? I'm hoping to build a power switch wiring harness, but would like to know exactly what the other pins do if possible. Thank you!

Hi, anyway you could highlight or circle which pins you are referencing?

Reply 32 of 32, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rmay635703 wrote on 2023-10-18, 16:45:

I could swear there was a way to up the FSB to 75mhz on that board, that would improve performance slightly

Yes on a later motherboard revision, I swapped to this board and I’m running a K6-3 @ 450MHz (75x6) it gave a boost for sure. Pretty cool how far you could take a socket 5/7 system with these upgrades.