HWiNFO support of vintage hardware

Topic actions

Reply 500 of 677, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2021-05-10, 14:13:
I have this motherboard: "LION COMPUTERS, INC. NICE GREEN-VL/ISA" http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/3461 […]
Show full quote

I have this motherboard: "LION COMPUTERS, INC. NICE GREEN-VL/ISA" http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/3461

Contaq 596a chipset w/ latest HWInfo 6.1.3 from this thread.

Locks up when trying to view motherboard information at "Resetting CPU [Method 1]"

Photo May 10, 10 03 39 AM.jpg

I tried different switches -d -v -r -s with no luck.

I need to do a hardware reset to reboot.

Please go first into the Setup menu of HWiNFO and disable the respective Reset method. That will also save the setting into HWINFO.INI file.

Reply 501 of 677, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2021-05-10, 14:19:

Please go first into the Setup menu of HWiNFO and disable the respective Reset method. That will also save the setting into HWINFO.INI file.

OK, thanks. It doesn't like Method 1 or Method 2, but runs fine when they are disabled.

Attachments

• Filename
    NICEGREE.TXT
    File size
    18.08 KiB
    Downloads
    62 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 502 of 677, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the feedback and report. Unfortunately I can't predict when a particular Reset Method works or not, so it's left to user disabling if needed.
Could you please also run with -d argument and post the DBG file it created? That will give me some more details, i.e. the chipset ID that I can use.

Reply 503 of 677, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just tried the DOS version on my Cx5x86 system and it detected everything perfectly, well done!

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 504 of 677, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2021-05-10, 14:54:

Thanks for the feedback and report. Unfortunately I can't predict when a particular Reset Method works or not, so it's left to user disabling if needed.
Could you please also run with -d argument and post the DBG file it created? That will give me some more details, i.e. the chipset ID that I can use.

I tried running as "HWiNFO -r -d logfile.txt" and got this error:

Photo May 10, 2 32 50 PM.jpg
Filename
File size
124.4 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It exits gracefully after error.

Here is the debug file--

Attachments

• Filename
    HWINFO.DBG.txt
    File size
    622 Bytes
    Downloads
    65 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 505 of 677, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2021-05-10, 16:01:

I just tried the DOS version on my Cx5x86 system and it detected everything perfectly, well done!

Thanks for the feedback. Any report files are welcome for my reference 😉

Reply 506 of 677, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2021-05-10, 18:36:
I tried running as "HWiNFO -r -d logfile.txt" and got this error: […]
Show full quote
Mumak wrote on 2021-05-10, 14:54:

I tried running as "HWiNFO -r -d logfile.txt" and got this error:

It exits gracefully after error.

Here is the debug file--

Unfortunately the attached DBG file doesn't capture the screen where it crashed.
But it's quite strange as that test is just a simple read from port 0x3FE. Do you know if there's something in that range?

Reply 507 of 677, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the debug file that didn't have the "-r" switch. Here's the larger file. Still doesn't have much in it.

I only had an IDE controller and a VGA card in the system. I changed to the ISA Trident VGA card I used when troubleshooting and got the same error.

I wish I could find the MR-BIOS for the chipset.

Attachments

• Filename
    HWINFO.DBG.txt
    File size
    3.1 KiB
    Downloads
    71 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 509 of 677, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the_ultra_code wrote on 2021-05-11, 00:41:
Here you go. https://i.imgur.com/i62sPhb.png […]
Show full quote
Mumak wrote on 2021-05-10, 06:34:

Oops 😀 Could you please attach the content of the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\3Dfx Interactive\Voodoo2\PropPage" node?

Here you go.
i62sPhb.png

Thanks, bug will be fixed in the next build.

Reply 510 of 677, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mumak wrote on 2021-05-10, 19:04:

How do I generate one from the MS-DOS version? I think I have version 6.1.3 by the way.

Reply 511 of 677, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2021-05-11, 07:20:

How do I generate one from the MS-DOS version? I think I have version 6.1.3 by the way.

Either manually pressing F2 will save content of current screen into a LOG file, or automatically using the -r switch. Adding -d will also produce DBG file that contains some more details for me.

Reply 512 of 677, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK I'll do a HWINFO -r -d and save the log, but it may take a few days before I feel like opening up the case (to install a 3D printed 3.5" CF-IDE bracket) and get the files..

Reply 513 of 677, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested my Tyan 1672 PPro board under 98SE, and HWINFO kinda has the right idea.
KmMUMHC.png
Also, I've noticed this with my FIC PN-6210, but HWINFO has... trouble comprehending SIMMs from the looks of it.
x9g2lmT.png

In other news, tested the latest beta-build, and your fixes are indeed working. My FIC PN-6210 and Voodoo2 are being correctly detected (btw, is there a reason why the clocks/TUs of the Voodoo2 can't be shown? just curious). 😀
xkaxU8J.png
1EKQyJF.png

Attachments

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 514 of 677, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the_ultra_code wrote on 2021-05-16, 12:06:
Tested my Tyan 1672 PPro board under 98SE, and HWINFO kinda has the right idea. https://i.imgur.com/KmMUMHC.png Also, I've notic […]
Show full quote

Tested my Tyan 1672 PPro board under 98SE, and HWINFO kinda has the right idea.
KmMUMHC.png
Also, I've noticed this with my FIC PN-6210, but HWINFO has... trouble comprehending SIMMs from the looks of it.
x9g2lmT.png

In other news, tested the latest beta-build, and your fixes are indeed working. My FIC PN-6210 and Voodoo2 are being correctly detected (btw, is there a reason why the clocks/TUs of the Voodoo2 can't be shown? just curious). 😀
xkaxU8J.png
1EKQyJF.png

Thanks for the feedback!
Voodoo2 clocks should be shown, could you please post the content of

Software\3Dfx Interactive\Voodoo2\D3D

and

Software\3Dfx Interactive\Voodoo2\Glide

keys too?

Reply 515 of 677, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2021-05-16, 14:06:
Thanks for the feedback! Voodoo2 clocks should be shown, could you please post the content of […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the feedback!

and

keys too?

Here you go - contents of both registry folders and another HWINFO report + debug file in the attached zip file.

Attachments

• Filename
    more_v2.zip
    File size
    27.64 KiB
    Downloads
    54 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 516 of 677, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the_ultra_code wrote on 2021-05-17, 08:57:
Mumak wrote on 2021-05-16, 14:06:
Thanks for the feedback! Voodoo2 clocks should be shown, could you please post the content of […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the feedback!

and

keys too?

Here you go - contents of both registry folders and another HWINFO report + debug file in the attached zip file.

Thanks! Unfortunately those drivers used don't expose the actual clocks via registry and I'm not aware of any other method how this could be detected.
I have studied available documents, but for some unknown reason the registers described don't behave as expected, so we need to rely on registry data here.

Reply 517 of 677, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a feature request for HWiNFO for DOS - the decompression/decryption of the data structures is very slow when the program is run from a floppy drive. I could play around with DOS buffers and read-ahead but preferably it should work better on a clean boot system as well.

Reply 518 of 677, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2021-05-17, 09:17:

Thanks! Unfortunately those drivers used don't expose the actual clocks via registry and I'm not aware of any other method how this could be detected.
I have studied available documents, but for some unknown reason the registers described don't behave as expected, so we need to rely on registry data here.

Noted. Thanks!

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 519 of 677, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mumak wrote on 2021-05-11, 07:32:
appiah4 wrote on 2021-05-11, 07:20:

Either manually pressing F2 will save content of current screen into a LOG file, or automatically using the -r switch. Adding -d will also produce DBG file that contains some more details for me.

Here you go, I hope it helps. 😀

Attachments