VOGONS

Reply 40 of 65, by JimWest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-05-20, 06:53:

Soundwave 32 Pro (comes with QSound ld file (3DFM.LD) ) while the other cards you needed to buy it as an addon. I just happen to have the install files for the Soundwave 32 Pro so I will be testing this out.

I have the Orchid Soundwave 32 Pro here with me. Unfortunately not the drivers.
@cyclone3d Can you please upload the drivers? I have not yet found a source on the Internet.
Many Thanks!

Reply 41 of 65, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pierre32 wrote on 2021-05-20, 10:17:
Hmm this has my interest. Just went digging for some sound samples. […]
Show full quote
jesolo wrote on 2021-05-20, 09:30:

I have acquired two 512KB ROM chips in order for me to try out the Invision ROM images.

Hmm this has my interest. Just went digging for some sound samples.

Orchid standard: http://kawai.spb.ru/files/sound/cards/orchid_sw32_std.html

Orchid w/ Invision: http://kawai.spb.ru/files/sound/cards/orchid_sw32_invis.html

What's the deal with having two ROMs on the Orchid? Does that mean you can install two banks, or do they combine to make one bank?

They combine to make one bank.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2021-05-20, 14:40. Edited 3 times in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 42 of 65, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JimWest wrote on 2021-05-20, 13:33:
I have the Orchid Soundwave 32 Pro here with me. Unfortunately not the drivers. @cyclone3d Can you please upload the drivers? I […]
Show full quote

Soundwave 32 Pro (comes with QSound ld file (3DFM.LD) ) while the other cards you needed to buy it as an addon. I just happen to have the install files for the Soundwave 32 Pro so I will be testing this out.

@cyclone3d Can you please upload the drivers? I have not yet found a source on the Internet.
Many Thanks!

The driver set is available on driverguide.com. It is labeled as the Soundwave32 + SCSI but the files inside the .zip match what is described in the user manual for the Soundwave32 Pro. The install looks like it has to be run from within Windows 3.1. Not sure if the installer will work from Windows 95 or not.
https://www.driverguide.com/driver/deta ... rid=15632

And the manual:

Filename
soundwave_32pro_manual.zip
File size
228.83 KiB
Downloads
70 downloads
File license
Public domain

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 43 of 65, by jtchip

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Speech is slower than normal with the Gamewave32 drivers - tried 1.4 and 2.3. Hilariously sounding voices in DUNE2. This is only when using the GENMID.LD from these sets. When using these drivers and the DSP001WA.LD from the Cardinal driver set, the speech is normal. This leads me to believe that the Cardinal cards and the Orchid cards are clocked differently.

That matches my experience of using Orchid's GENMID.LD with a Wearnes Beethoven ADSP-16, another card with the same ESC614/ADSP-2115/AD1848 chip combo, as well as MT32.LD producing no sound with MIDI output. That card is should be a reference design as it ships with reference drivers (driver identifies itself as "Analog Devices Personal Sound System (PSS) Driver") so perhaps Cardinal stuck closer to the reference design.

Reply 44 of 65, by JimWest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-05-20, 14:28:
The driver set is available on driverguide.com. It is labeled as the Soundwave32 + SCSI but the files inside the .zip match what […]
Show full quote
JimWest wrote on 2021-05-20, 13:33:
I have the Orchid Soundwave 32 Pro here with me. Unfortunately not the drivers. @cyclone3d Can you please upload the drivers? I […]
Show full quote

Many Thanks!

The driver set is available on driverguide.com. It is labeled as the Soundwave32 + SCSI but the files inside the .zip match what is described in the user manual for the Soundwave32 Pro. The install looks like it has to be run from within Windows 3.1. Not sure if the installer will work from Windows 95 or not.
https://www.driverguide.com/driver/deta ... rid=15632

And the manual:
soundwave_32pro_manual.zip

Thank you for the links and the information! 😃

Reply 45 of 65, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bumping this since I have added some more information to my huge post about everything.

I am almost 100% sure I figured out why the speech is slower with the Orchid .ld files when used on other cards.

I'll probably compile everything and make a master thread for the ECHO based cards once I have finished looking into them.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 46 of 65, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds good. I've retrieved mine this weekend and I'll get the chance to reinstall again some time this week - to do some of the above tests, but more importantly test my driver package and make sure it's correct on Vogons Drivers.

Reply 47 of 65, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tested the SoundWave32 Pro driver set and have updated my huge post. Basically the digital sound is of course slow just like the other Orchid drivers.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 48 of 65, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I've gathered all the different driver sets that still exist on the web. Have the ones for Wearnes, Paradise, Cardinal, and Orchid.

Also have a bunch Analog Devices documentation and I picked up this (seller's pic):

everything.jpg
Filename
everything.jpg
File size
242.81 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I still need to see if Analog Devices has and is willing to give me a copy of the SDK for these type of cards:
http://web.archive.org/web/19980212183702/htt … oducts/pss.html

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 49 of 65, by jtchip

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That devkit looks pristine.
I remember there was an MPEG Layer II (MP2) audio decoder for the ADSP-2115, it's dsp_mp2 for Linux from https://www.mpg123.de/download.shtml.
The code is mostly a kernel module that uploads the DSP code, which is only available as a hex dump so hopefully the devkit has a disassembler.
It only mentions the SoundWave32 with 20 MIPS so who knows if it works on the slower variants (nice find on the different clock speeds, BTW).

Reply 50 of 65, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-05-19, 01:43:
Th files all look correct to me. I thought it may be something with my system but I've tried multiple floppies and it always has […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-05-19, 00:05:

Just as an FYI, the installer on the driver disk doesn't work for the package you put on vogonsdrivers. Says that it can't load the script.
I have another copy of the disks and the installer works fine.

Pierre32 wrote on 2021-05-19, 00:11:

Thanks for the heads up. They would have worked for me in the past of course. I'll test them on the impending install and see if I've done anything wrong when repackaging for upload.

Th files all look correct to me. I thought it may be something with my system but I've tried multiple floppies and it always has the same problem. Maybe the zip or upload got corrupted or something.

I noticed on my copy that it doesn't copy over all the .ld files so I may make a customized install script that does just so I don't have to copy them over manually.

I've confirmed that there was something wrong in the package I uploaded, but the original disks I made were working fine. The only difference I could see in the files was that INSTALL.BAT was 20 bytes (working) vs 19 bytes (not working). They both contain the same simple line "instalit dsp16.inf" so I can't explain why they would differ or how that happened. Anyway, thanks for reporting and I'll fix my uploads.

You're right about it not copying over all the .ld files too. I guess the stock installer only cares about copying over DSP001.ld - a detail I had missed after doing so much manual file wrangling at the time. I spent way too long tonight wondering why my card had installed fine but wasn't making any noise. It was because I'd loaded DSP001WA.ld in config.sys but the file wasn't there, d'oh! Perhaps I could also add "copy *.ld" to the install script before re-uploading.

cyclone3d wrote on 2021-05-17, 03:25:

What does your system report when you run DSP16ver ?

Mine currently reports 41.117

"DSP16ver Version 1.0......dsp firmware revision is 1.07"

(DSP001WA.ld loaded)

Reply 51 of 65, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Driver package has been updated. Changes:

• Working install script on disk 1
  • Larger set of firmwares, which are now copied over by the install script
  • Wavetable ROM, with attribution to cyclone3d (thanks!)
  • Improved setup instructions in the readme under /docs

https://archive.org/details/cardinal_dsp16

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … &menustate=38,0

Reply 52 of 65, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I heard back from Analog Devices. They don't have the old SDK anymore. Bummer.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 54 of 65, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did 20 rounds against teh interweb for one of these some time ago, the DSP chip intrigued me. At that time Cardtech dot com was owned by a clickfarm/redirector outfit, must have got it after Cardinal closed up, but they put a robots.txt on it meaning archive.org blocked access to previously archived content from Cardinal. (Policy changed now I think to stop that kind of stuff) I may have found my way to analog devices. When I remember even what machine I was using at the time of that quest, I'll try to find the hard disk and see if I harvested anything interesting. All I can think of at the moment, is that I must have had some want/need to learn about DSP chips, or play with one because I had a potential application.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 55 of 65, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pierre32 wrote on 2021-06-03, 22:19:

Dang. So it obviously doesn't come in that dev kit you bought?

No, I don't see any mention of it anywhere. From what I could find, there was probably a special SDK just for these type of cards. The AD dev kits seem to just have the stuff for the AD developed DSPs and nothing for the ECHO gate array chips.

I wonder if there is good documentation in any of that HAM radio stuff that would help.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 56 of 65, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i've just run across another variant of this card: a cardinal mpc701. it is missing the scsi controller and has a slightly different pcb than the mpc700.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
404.83 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

the socket for the optional rom is empty. my question is: with the rom dump from the mpc700 posted earlier in this thread, can i use contemporary components to enable wavetable on this card? do i just need a 27C040 (4mbit) eeprom? would there be a modern 8mbit chip i could use for the larger rom? what about a programmer for what is likely to be a 1-use proposition? is there a cheap usb option or can i use a raspberry pi?

also, what about the invision rom? i've only ever seen 2 x 512kb dumps... is there a 1 x 512kb version available anywhere?

edit: i read where the invision rom was successfully concatenated onto a single chip. i guess i want to know if i can use a 32-pin 8mbit e/eprom in this scenario? what part number should i get?

Reply 57 of 65, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

this cardinal card has me stymied. i concatenated the 2x512kb invision rom dump and successfully flashed it onto a m27c801 8mbit eprom, but i can get no midi output.

i discovered a few things along the way with the available driver sets. the orchid soundwave32 v2.1 drivers (sw32.exe) will instantly cause a loud feedback loop if the volume is set to the default max of 31 (or any value above 27). the more appropriate max value is around 10 for the cardinal card.

i uncovered a few more switches for the undocumented cardinal drivers (dsp16.sys). for reference the most complete list i have is noted below. also, someone complained dsp16.exe wiped out their settings when displaying the card status. well, dsp16.exe accepts the same switches as dsp16.sys and will set default sb values (x220, irq7, dma1) if run without any arguments. dsp16vol does not appear to generate any feedback loops.
a - cdrom address
b - sb address
c - wss dma
d - sb dma
e - echo irq
f - ld file path
j - joystick enable
m - mpu address
p - echo dma
q - cdrom irq
r - mpu irq
s - wss irq

i've tried loading all the ld files i could find from the orchid and cardinal driver packages on vogonsdrivers.com, but all i get is silence. i've reserved all relevant irq and dma settings in the bios, which helped with sb playback, but nothing with midi. i've never gotten wss to work with any settings either, but that is less of a priority right now.

is it simply that the cardinal card is incompatible with 8mbit eproms? the m27c801 and m27c4001/m27c040 are pin compatible so wouldn't the dsp code be able to manage the additional address spaces or is there an independent memory controller chip on the board that is hardware dependent on 4mbit eproms?

Reply 58 of 65, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could maybe try the double load trick, two 4Mb images to the 8Mb ROM then whether it looks at top or bottom of ROM it finds it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 59 of 65, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

son of a bitch...the cardinal card is incompatible with 8mbit eproms. i don't know much about it, but i'm guessing not all the pins in the dip32 socket are connected up. i resisted pulling the eprom until all hope was exhausted because i knew no matter how careful i was there was no way i wasn't going to bend pins and of course, this time was the worst yet...bent two @#!&* pins 90 degrees.

so now i'm stuck with the craptastic 512kb cardinal rom (m27c4001 4mbit eprom). other people have remarked on this and i agree: the analog devices opl implementation actually ends up sounding better than the wavetable synthesis.

this whole project was to get my hands on a card with the invision roms (despite people not being wowed by those either). it looks like i will have to get an actual orchid soundwave32 and i have yet to see one of those come up for sale and if it does i doubt i'll have the palette to pay the price after this.